SPEAR FISHING

hi guys

just been reading about spearfishing and i need some things clearing up for me....

i know its legal to spearfish in coastal waters around the uk, but does that mean you can just turn up at any beach with your gear and just swim out and start hunting? i wouldnt just turn up at a busy beach and crack on but i cant seem to find where the law states you can do it? as in '' do you have to be a certain distance away from crowded beach'' or something like that, where is the best places to go?

any advice would be great

cheers guys

hi guys

just been reading about spearfishing and i need some things clearing up for me....

i know its legal to spearfish in coastal waters around the uk, but does that mean you can just turn up at any beach with your gear and just swim out and start hunting? i wouldnt just turn up at a busy beach and crack on but i cant seem to find where the law states you can do it? as in '' do you have to be a certain distance away from crowded beach'' or something like that, where is the best places to go?

any advice would be great

cheers guys

i am not that up with the law but common scence would be best, use your own judgement with safety in mind at all times.

niall_b73

• Like 1

I do a fair bit of spearing, in the summer mostly, when hunting with lurchers is out of season.

1) Spearing with scuba is not against the law, either in UK or in Ireland but is considered unsporting so don't do it.

2) Have some commonsense about carrying a gun over a crowded beach. The gun may not be illegal but people using the beach may feel threatened or unsafe, same as if you carried a 12 bore across a beach.

3) There are some areas in the UK which are declared nursery areas for bass and you're not allowed to spear there.

4) Ireland has a 2 fish bag limit for bass and a closed season from May 15th to June 15th.

5) Be careful not to upset anglers by taking more than you can eat or disturbing the area where they are fishing.

6) A compressed air powered gun requires a firearms cert in Ireland though a band powered gun doesn't.

If you stick to these rules you should be OK. If you practice a bit and you're lucky you can do OK.

2010_08020011.jpg

2009_06260011.jpg

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...