What's this "Line Bred" Nonsense ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bullshit dogs bred of champions and such like produce there self dogs who are just luck breed luck , how can you advertise a litter if you dont no what the fuckis in it , and if you,like hares roe etc

agree with whin,, put the best in and hopfully get the best out,, it doesnt always work,, and somtimes you get a freak from 2 dogs that arnt worth a wank,,, but why risk it.   the dog you describe t

I think its fair to say that the boundaries are undefined. Mating two related dogs is the start of a line but I wouldnt call the pups line bred at all, for anything to be called line bred I think the

Posted Images

a working dog needs ta have a heritage [ a proven back ground ] . we all heard storys of lads finding strays [ skinny boney dogs and they would take them in outa sympaty ] and they turned out ta be great dogs, but its very rare when that happens. in the dog world if anyone in there right mind is buying a pup, they allways buy a pup from a proven back ground. even then there is no guarentee that the dog will make the grade. the reason why people buy dogs offa proven working parents is because we have a great chance of getting a good dog. the reason why we dont buy pups offa unproven dogs is because we have common sence and the most of them pups from unproven dogs end up in the pound and being put down or even worst. cop on ta yourself.... as i said, you would hear storys of lads taking in neglected dogs and they turn out ta be great ones. BUT I DONT THINK YOUR DOG was one of them. in your words, he never listen ta ya. he never did. so in otherwise your dog never obead your comands. then your dog done incredible things including stoping 5 hares in one night. shor any dog could do that on the lamp. and your dog catching 2 rabbits in the space of 20 seconds on the lamp. again any dog could do that. it dosent meen your dog was good. it just meen your dog dont retrive is all.

So is line breed 2 related dogs mated together.For example there were terriers mated that were never or did very little work,but they were mated with brother`s sisters ect,But they were line breed.If you have a minshaw(what ever that is) and i have a pie dog,It dosnt matter how good or not they are if we mate them together they are not line breed. :cray:

The old saying was its inbreeding when it gos wrong,Line breeding when it works.But really there one and the same.At least thats my take on it.

I think its fair to say that the boundaries are undefined. Mating two related dogs is the start of a line but I wouldnt call the pups line bred at all, for anything to be called line bred I think the line has to have been established for at least a couple of generation, but thats just my opinion on the matter.

Its also worth noting that alot of the negativity towards line breeding real close like half brother to half sister and farther to daughter etc is due to the health problems seen and how it fucks up a breed. With working dogs it is imperitive that the dogs produced are sound and healthy to perform at the highest level, any poor dogs produced would be culled or at least eliminated from the line. I very much doubt this would happen in the kennel clubs perfect little world, hence all there breeds turning to shit!

• Like 3

even breeding a good dog and bitch together your going to get a mix of different traits, now the trait you wanted when you bred to that dog may not come out in the pup you've picked or some of the pups

a dog been an animal that has evolved this far ,is still breeding with an evolutionary aspect ,that means that your going to have some active and direct pups, some less direct and more cautious ones, and so on ,every trait needing in the wild will be in some shape or form in every litter,

In a litter of wolf pups ,since nature in the wild is unpredictable will have to cover all angles, not all the pup will have the same speed, some will be more vocal,some will be direct and dominant usually the ones that will take a head or nose hold when hunting and some will be leg holders and more submissive because the pack need to cover all traits in the same litter,,and its exactly the same in every litter of pups born to every bitch anywhere in the world,same principle

so when someone comes on and says What is a blah crossed with a blah like,,f**k nows what its like, because you cant narrow every genetic trait down to a single dog and bitch,

so what im saying is, no matter what good intentions you may have when planning a mating,unless you run the litter on and pick out traits you like in a pup when they mature a bit,your still just taking a shot in the dark in every litter,,

inbreeding is mating closely related -- father to daughter, mother to son, brother to sister.,.line breeding is more distanley related cousins , grandparents to grandchildren , .. most breeding plans should use a combination of both with at some stage a distanley related or an unrelated out cross being introduced .. line breeding will have or bring out faults inbreeding will bring them out generations earlier -- for breeding to type for looks or work inbreeding is a short cut to what linebreeding will produce ...

Edited by the_stig

doe`s it have to be worker to worker if its in the breeding ? -- look at the pedigrees of top race horses / greyhounds where the sire or dams never seen a race track -- i know of top racing pigeon fanciers who have produced teams of long and short distance racers that have been bred from stock thats never been out the loft never mind seen a race .. -------------- bloodlines ---------- :hmm:

Edited by the_stig

racing a bit diffent from hunting as pace is most of what you need in racing ,coursing huntin you need pace, feet, wind ,a hunting head ,a,bit trainability , a dog that goes up and down gears either there bred like that or get game sense with work ,the principles the best but with greyhounds you have one breed with lurchers maybe two or three along the line , to get something you want , say its harder at times when there more than one dog in the pot ,but people who say to me the best dog was the one they got out of a cat and dog home its a chance or a runt or a mistake , its a big chance if you want to further a line or a type

racing a bit diffent from hunting as pace is most of what you need in racing ,coursing huntin you need pace, feet, wind ,a hunting head ,a,bit trainability , a dog that goes up and down gears either there bred like that or get game sense with work ,the principles the best but with greyhounds you have one breed with lurchers maybe two or three along the line , to get something you want , say its harder at times when there more than one dog in the pot ,but people who say to me the best dog was the one they got out of a cat and dog home its a chance or a runt or a mistake , its a big chance if you want to further a line or a type

i was just using that as an example

How much line breeding is healthy, after all KC dogs got there genetic faults from to much in breeding line breeding whatever you want to call it so when will lurchers that have been "line bred" for generations start seeing these faults?

line breeding in KC registered dogs has been done on the basis of breeding for form not function. Hence all those arse dragging GSD's that couldn't do a days graft, and bulldogs that look like freaky cartoon dogs, but cannot breath, let alone tangle with a bullock. Line breeding in lurchers (and other true working type dogs) is done on the basis of ability.

Still don't mean it always works out that way though :huh:

There seems to be this reoccurring notion that for a dog to be “top class” it has to have heritage i.e. come from top class “working lines” Let me tell you, that is first class Nonsense.

May I tell you about a pup I was given when I was 15 years old, it was given to me as the “runt of the litter” by a travelling chap from Waterloo site in Pembroke Dock. Its sire and dam? A couple of mangy looking lurchers from the site.

After a year of neglect (in terms of training) I started working him, the damn thing wouldn’t listen for no one (he never did). . But, over the coming few years this dog did some incredible things, including stopping 5 Hares in one night in amazing fashion. Catch two rabbits in the space of 20 seconds on the lamp, and stop an impressive roe buck in awesome circumstance - just a couple examples of many, many.

This dog was 27”tts, he would clear 6 feet with a grin, no idea (regretfully) of his cross, would guess at saluki, bull, collie, greyhound. He’d work for himself, sometimes with me, but rarely for me. . Many flaws in obedience (fault, my own) but a machine of a dog.

Line bred? Forget it; a lurcher is a mutt not a pedigree, but marvellous mutt at that.

R.I.P “Pup” a boys best friend.

I agree that occasionally world beaters will crop up from indifferent parents, although as you say you have no idea of the parentage so the parents could of been line bred anyway! No offence mate but the "incredible things" you describe sound decidedly average to me. Also his obedience sounds awfull, not a dig mate but perhaps you are looking through rose coloured glasses..............

Sorry, don't understand half of the posts - I can't read them !

Okay, let me clarify what I mean - I believe the breed of the dog is more important than the Breeding of the dog - for example Joe Blogg's whippet/greyhound over Johns Smiths deerhound/greyhound can produce pups just as good ​as the more illustrious breeders. Of course you fellas who have paid hundreds of pounds for line bred dogs wouldn't want to agree with that.

As for "pup" he was certainly no line bred, but a great worker, he would have give any "line bred" dog a run for it's money. How can some plonker who's never laid eyes on a dog determine how good he was ? You should of asked of the fashion the quarry was taken before you pass judgment, As for obedience, that was my fault not his. PS any dog catch a hare ? (let alone 5) get real, have some respect for the most demanding of quarry.

All the best you all, thanks for reading.

If you bred like your life or bank account depended on it , I would imagine be allot less name chasin and papers wouldn't mean shit lol. Anyone who preachs to me about breeding I ask what have they done or produced? If they ever had a top racer or trial dog. If you follow the NGA breeding info here you'll see allot of top kennels rarley inbreed but look for the"nick" breedings and almost never breed away from the top 5 studs at the moment.