What's this "Line Bred" Nonsense ?

There seems to be this reoccurring notion that for a dog to be “top class” it has to have heritage i.e. come from top class “working lines” Let me tell you, that is first class Nonsense.

May I tell you about a pup I was given when I was 15 years old, it was given to me as the “runt of the litter” by a travelling chap from Waterloo site in Pembroke Dock. Its sire and dam? A couple of mangy looking lurchers from the site.

After a year of neglect (in terms of training) I started working him, the damn thing wouldn’t listen for no one (he never did). . But, over the coming few years this dog did some incredible things, including stopping 5 Hares in one night in amazing fashion. Catch two rabbits in the space of 20 seconds on the lamp, and stop an impressive roe buck in awesome circumstance - just a couple examples of many, many.

This dog was 27”tts, he would clear 6 feet with a grin, no idea (regretfully) of his cross, would guess at saluki, bull, collie, greyhound. He’d work for himself, sometimes with me, but rarely for me. . Many flaws in obedience (fault, my own) but a machine of a dog.

Line bred? Forget it; a lurcher is a mutt not a pedigree, but marvellous mutt at that.

R.I.P “Pup” a boys best friend.

Edited by tommarshall
  • Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bullshit dogs bred of champions and such like produce there self dogs who are just luck breed luck , how can you advertise a litter if you dont no what the fuckis in it , and if you,like hares roe etc

agree with whin,, put the best in and hopfully get the best out,, it doesnt always work,, and somtimes you get a freak from 2 dogs that arnt worth a wank,,, but why risk it.   the dog you describe t

I think its fair to say that the boundaries are undefined. Mating two related dogs is the start of a line but I wouldnt call the pups line bred at all, for anything to be called line bred I think the

Posted Images

bullshit dogs bred of champions and such like produce there self dogs who are just luck breed luck , how can you advertise a litter if you dont no what the fuckis in it , and if you,like hares roe etc and you by dogs that are not bred for big running you need a dog bred for the game , hence you keep lines , and not hotpotches , i can throw a blanket on apup and heel do in the [bANNED TEXT] hands

• Like 4

agree with whin,, put the best in and hopfully get the best out,, it doesnt always work,, and somtimes you get a freak from 2 dogs that arnt worth a wank,,, but why risk it.

the dog you describe thomas,, doesnt sound anything special either,, penty dogs out there doing the things you mention and more besides

• Like 3

tomo you no when your doing things [bANNED TEXT] they do whats on the tin , and litters are typey , a man said to me his name was border lad he says you could chuck a blanket on them pups and get a good dog ,now if you didnt breed like that were would you be couldnt go back to eighties when it was luck at times

If you never knew the breeding how do you know it wasn't line bred ? Also you only have to look at greys and more so pitbulls to see line breeding/inbreeding will give a higher percentage of the genes you want to be passed down.

My guess is you got lucky, maybe you should have line bred of him haha

• Like 2
If you never knew the breeding how do you know it wasn't line bred ? Also you only have to look at greys and more so pitbulls to see line breeding/inbreeding will give a higher percentage of the genes you want to be passed down.

My guess is you got lucky, maybe you should have line bred of him haha

yes good point ,, his dog could have been line bred

People line breed to keep a good line of good working dogs going and from proven dogs if we all had your attiude there would be a lot more rubbish about than good working dogs,you breed form good workers to try and produce more good workers or even better than you got that's my oppinion!! Atb cbx

• Like 1

Kc dogs are f****d because people inbred/linebred from dogs with alot of genetic faults which resulted in them being passed down, if you start with healthy dogs then there is only healthy genes to be passed on!!

In essence I agree but it isn't strictly true, 2 apparently healthy dogs will still be carrying differing dominant and recessive genes so can still throw shite pups you only need to look at the state of some dogs jaws to see that it isn't as simple as would appear :thumbs: