Can it be done

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive seen a wild red that would be about as big as they come taken with two dogs on the edge of the new forest, i have also taken 15 outta 15 hares on the plains and quiet a few 10 outta 10 with the s

i heard his dad can stop a hare in full flight,with a well aimed brogue

i was there i saw both the pups in question take 19 hares between them,they missed maybe 6 each,but if you dont think it can be done,i am sure the owner of the pups would show you,or maybe yous could

Posted Images

many years ago seen with my own eyes minshaws blue catch 27 in one night single handed and probably would have still ran a few more

never

lancer no need to lie dont keep minshaw dogs never have went out 3 times with victor 20 years ago seen that blue do 27 hares yes small fields but middle of winter not leverets all single handed second time out went to penrith watched the same dog do 112 rabbits in one night single handed third time out watched same dog pull several hares 3 foxes and 2 red deer like i said that dog was the best ive seen in 30 years dont think ill see another like it ever again

NOW i would buy into the VM blue dog doing 27 hares, after seeing this dog run more times than anyone on this site, but doing foxs,is something this dog clearly never liked

What's classed as south to northerners? The plains of salisbury, the hilly paddock of a devon valley, the large wet field of the somerset lowlands, the reclaimed moorland fields on the quantocks, the peat fields at the bottom of the mendips, the forest enclosed fields of the blackdowns, the small squares in the south hams or the moantains of the windind stair hills?

All these places are in devon or somerset barring salisbury plain and there's a lot of variation in these fields. Seen dogs make hares look silly on the lowlands but then look like a pup on the hams but then I've seen them catch on the quantocks and need even cause a bend on salisbury plain.

Atb

A lad did 50 odd the other night with his young dog, so why not?

50 odd what if you say hares mate????? i'm hunting a long time and this is some land yous have .fair play lads

No sorry you misunderstand, you said "144 bits of game" that included rabbits, 7 hares and some roe.......least I think thats what the bloke said, so I think that can be done.

All I will say is, I have seen a lot of people say things are bollocks, when I know they have and can be done......... :thumbs:

It wasnt roe he said it was red deer until he said that i would of took it and belived it but struggling to belive with the red deer bit :thumbs:

many years ago seen with my own eyes minshaws blue catch 27 in one night single handed and probably would have still ran a few more

never

lancer no need to lie dont keep minshaw dogs never have went out 3 times with victor 20 years ago seen that blue do 27 hares yes small fields but middle of winter not leverets all single handed second time out went to penrith watched the same dog do 112 rabbits in one night single handed third time out watched same dog pull several hares 3 foxes and 2 red deer like i said that dog was the best ive seen in 30 years dont think ill see another like it ever again

112 rabbits is not possible with one dog red deer are not possible with one dog and 27 hares is not possible with one dog,the dog world is full of stories of these super dogs, problem is they are all in the past ,it couldnt be done then and it cant be done now,these stories get better as the years go by,

Don't know about the rabbit or hares but do know red can be taken with a dog. Not taken the big stags but hinds and small stags

Nobody said you cant take them they are a hard task and take some pulling even the hinds can go on and drag a dog a way,when you say a small stag by what weight do you call a small red stag and how many dogs have you seen on one ? and to be honest i thought this thread was about taking large numbers of hares :thumbs:

I have seen red hinds that were only around the size of a fallow buck, the op would have had 31 runs on hares.........thats approx 15 for each dog or 31 doubled up.........on large fields that would destroy a dog as I know only too well.

So those numbers dont stack up at all, but I also know that I have not been everywhere in the country so until I went to the place it was done and saw it with my own eyes I would never say never.

• Like 1

Don't know about the rabbit or hares but do know red can be taken with a dog. Not taken the big stags but hinds and small stags

Nobody said you cant take them they are a hard task and take some pulling even the hinds can go on and drag a dog a way,when you say a small stag by what weight do you call a small red stag and how many dogs have you seen on one ? and to be honest i thought this thread was about taking  large numbers of hares :thumbs:

I've seen a deerhound cross greyhound bitch that was around 26 inches to the shoulder (I never measured her, is an estimation) take red as a regular occurence but she was something special. A small stag is as I've said 80-120 lbs, I've owned and seen dogs take red by themselves and living on the edge of exmoor its something I've always wanted in a dog. I believe its something the dog learns eventually, I have however seen large hinds and decent size stags drag 3 dogs away like they where not thereAtb 123456