Anybody remember Ken Howells

Just wondering if anybody on here remembers Ken Howells. He used to be the Head Keeper at Weston Park, in Shropshire, and he got me into keepering in the late 70's and 80's. Also working with him at the time was a keeper named John Gallagher, and 2 other underkeeper named Ludovic and Steve. (surnames escape me now)

I always remember turning up on my first day at Weston Park, whilst only about 14, and the first thing he said to me was "can you shoot"

I replied yes, very eagerly, although my experience then was limited to whacking sitting rabbits and pigeons, with a webley bolt action .410, and an AYA no 3 28 and 20 bore.

He took me around the keepers cottages and into the trapping shed, were 100's of different traps were hanging up, from fenns, juba's and some old gins, to live catch traps that were half moon inshape, and as I later found out, were not for catching quite what they were intended for.

He then took me into his cottage, and passed me his AYA 20 bore, the same as I used myself, and a box of eley grand prix, that were in a purple coloured box, and said "get upto the aviary and shoot as many Jackdaws as you can". (the aviary, being the laying pen,with about 1000 pheasants in it)

As a young lad, this was shooting heaven, and although I had a great time, and bagged half a dozen jackdaws, I was rapidly to find out, that gamekeeping, did not mean walking around with a gun all day whacking things!!

Happy days.

I was a Very Good Pal of Jonnie Gallagher and his Family... Ironically I went on to do many Gamefair's @ Weston Park... through Greenway's Fishing Tacke later Greenway's Country... Lichfield. Staffs :0)) Susie Greenway Totnes Devon

Just wondering if anybody on here remembers Ken Howells. He used to be the Head Keeper at Weston Park, in Shropshire, and he got me into keepering in the late 70's and 80's. Also working with him at the time was a keeper named John Gallagher, and 2 other underkeeper named Ludovic and Steve. (surnames escape me now)

I always remember turning up on my first day at Weston Park, whilst only about 14, and the first thing he said to me was "can you shoot"

I replied yes, very eagerly, although my experience then was limited to whacking sitting rabbits and pigeons, with a webley bolt action .410, and an AYA no 3 28 and 20 bore.

He took me around the keepers cottages and into the trapping shed, were 100's of different traps were hanging up, from fenns, juba's and some old gins, to live catch traps that were half moon inshape, and as I later found out, were not for catching quite what they were intended for.

He then took me into his cottage, and passed me his AYA 20 bore, the same as I used myself, and a box of eley grand prix, that were in a purple coloured box, and said "get upto the aviary and shoot as many Jackdaws as you can". (the aviary, being the laying pen,with about 1000 pheasants in it)

As a young lad, this was shooting heaven, and although I had a great time, and bagged half a dozen jackdaws, I was rapidly to find out, that gamekeeping, did not mean walking around with a gun all day whacking things!!

Happy days.

I was a Very Good Pal of Jonnie Gallagher and his Family... Ironically I went on to do many Gamefair's @ Weston Park... through Greenway's Fishing Tacke later Greenway's Country... Lichfield. Staffs :0)) Susie Greenway Totnes Devon

I used to work for John Gallagher, when he moved to the white sytch shoot, I got poached from Weston park! Very sad news about John a few years ago I am not sure if you are aware of. I think his wife is still in the area though.

Thanks for the reply