4 month old hobs never been handled advice please!

hey everyone i have just got two four month old hobs which have never been handled so there abit wild, i have been holding them alot with a glove on and stroking them with my other bare hand, took my glove off yesterday too hold them and they basically tore the skin off my hand lol. i just want some suggestions please on what i can do too or am i doing the right thing with a glove on untill they get used too being picked up. also i have been letting them lick cod liver oil out of my hand when they behave. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.

Wash your hands properly before you pick them up, especially if you've been eating. Distract them with one hand and then pick them up round the shoulders with the other hand, in a way that they can't turn back round and bite, so three fingers round the ribs and index finger and thumb on their neck. Spit on the back of your hand and with a clenched fist let them lick your spit off, they can't grip your skin if you have a clenched fist, sounds gross but they get used to your scent then. Hold them for at least 10-15 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a day. Do this regularly every day for a couple of weeks and they'll be fine. I've had ferrets for 25 years, most from kits that weren't tame and I've never been bitten yet! (touch wood)

• Like 2

thats brill am a newby to having ferrets and i do want to work them eventually but its no good if i cant hold em. i think its just confidence but ive gained a bit off hearing your tips thanks so much. just need practice and getting used to em. thanks again everyone.

where abouts in cumbria are you from

thats brill am a newby to having ferrets and i do want to work them eventually but its no good if i cant hold em. i think its just confidence but ive gained a bit off hearing your tips thanks so much. just need practice and getting used to em. thanks again everyone.

where abouts in cumbria are you from

from the lakes

just a few words of encouragement from a begginer.....

weve had our polecat about 2 1/2 week now. hes 11 weeks old ive been handling him 5 or 6 times a day from anything betwwen 10 mins and an hour. ive been spitting in the palm of my hand and letting him lick it. he takes food from my hand in a way that he knows not to bite my fingers. (or at least it seems like he knows not to) i think he really needs a friend and she should be here by the end of the week. time and paitience really do pay and the vast majority of folk on here are spot on and the advice iv had has been a great help.