Best decoy for hunting magpies

In my experience it depends on the settings. Rural an owl with a rabbit / squirrel, belly fur showing and guts out. In an urban area try a dog bowl with some food in, or takeaway cartons / wrappers that corvids will be used to picking through to find scraps.

All of the Above!

I've used a dead rabbit I've either shot or picked up as a road kill.

A baby Owl deek works a treat too. Put it on a pole and up into the hedgrows or sit it on a log. A well concealed sniping position will usually get you two or a few more but they are as smart as hell and they soon work out all is not well with a certain area; food or no food.

Simon

Mince / dead rabbit / eggs (one broken) will all usually get a magpie in. Also the old shaking a half full matchbox trick works. Once you have killed one magpie, just leave it lying there and within minutes there will be loads of other ones come in to see whats going on, making a hell of a racket in the process.

My little owl decoy is the business, always seems to work a treat. Little tip though if you opt for the little owl - make sure you give the corvids a rest after you've had a successful session. They certainly aren't daft and persistant decoying, especially from the same position, can put them off altogether and you'll end up losing the effectiveness of your set up. Here's the result of my last decoying session (img 1) and the hide I created on the fringe of a small woodland (img 2). That was around a month ago and its just about ready for another go :whistling:

A good time to decoy is around nest building time, just before Spring when they become very territorial. During the Summer I find the first birds that spot the decoy are the Swallows who then begin to mob it. You can hear them 'tweet' as they swoop. This is always great because their commotion catches the attention of the crows and magpies who subsiquently follow and make the set up look even more convincing.

If you can, another trick I use, is to place a dead magpie below the little owl decoy (img 3). In my experience, no sooner do I return to the hide when the magpies go crazy! Very effective trick!

Image 1

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTMtMjAxMTA4MTQtMDkyOS5qcGc.jpg

Image 2

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTQtMjAxMTA4MTQtMDkzMC5qcGc.jpg

Image 3

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDgtMjAxMTA2MDQtMTAyOC5qcGc.jpg

ATB

Edited by Elliott

My little owl decoy is the business, always seems to work a treat. Little tip though if you opt for the little owl - make sure you give the corvids a rest after you've had a successful session. They certainly aren't daft and persistant decoying, especially from the same position, can put them off altogether and you'll end up losing the effectiveness of your set up. Here's the result of my last decoying session (img 1) and the hide I created on the fringe of a small woodland (img 2). That was around a month ago and its just about ready for another go :whistling:

A good time to decoy is around nest building time, just before Spring when they become very territorial. During the Summer I find the first birds that spot the decoy are the Swallows who then begin to mob it. You can hear them 'tweet' as they swoop. This is always great because their commotion catches the attention of the crows and magpies who subsiquently follow and make the set up look even more convincing.

If you can, another trick I use, is to place a dead magpie below the little owl decoy (img 3). In my experience, no sooner do I return to the hide when the magpies go crazy! Very effective trick!

Image 1

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTMtMjAxMTA4MTQtMDkyOS5qcGc.jpg

Image 2

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTQtMjAxMTA4MTQtMDkzMC5qcGc.jpg

Image 3

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDgtMjAxMTA2MDQtMTAyOC5qcGc.jpg

ATB

i think that is the best air rifle money can buy and the decoy advice is great but the hide looks as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd :laugh: if you fidgit as much as me that is.there never going to spot you through those big holes :tongue2: :tongue2: atb mike

i think that is the best air rifle money can buy and the decoy advice is great but the hide looks as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd :laugh: if you fidgit as much as me that is.there never going to spot you through those big holes :tongue2: :tongue2: atb mike

Its suprising how effective such a simple hide is when set behind a dark background such as this small woodland. What you also can't tell is that the ground slopes down and I lay between three closely planted conifers with the rifle on the bipod. The decoy is 30 yards away. This is the view from the decoy (pic 1) and the view from inside the hide (pic 2)

Pic 1

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDktMjAxMTA2MDQtMTAyOC5qcGc.jpg

Pic 2

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDMtMjAxMTA2MDQtMTAyNi5qcGc.jpg