Ferreted rabbit is tough?

Last winter I ferreted a load of rabbits with a gamekeeper friend of mine in Dorset. On returning to Bath, I enquired at my local butcher (I won't name names), as to whether he would be interested in the rabbits. He replied that yes he would be interested, as long as they had not been ferreted. His reason for this very odd remark was that he believed a ferreted rabbit was terrified upon dying and therefore would be tough once cooked. Now I personally have been eating rabbit for 20 years and my father for 50 years and we both agree this to be nonsense.

Let's take beef for example. We have all heard of the animal rights activists stating that cattle, on arriving at the abattoir, can sense their imminent death. They are then stunned and while their hearts are still beating have their throats cut. I think you'd agree this must be pretty scary. So are you telling me Mr. Butcher refuses to buy this beef?

Has anybody else heard of this before? Or has anybody found that ferreted rabbit is tougher? Your thoughts please.

AJ