ferrets & terriers

iv got dogs and ferrets but i leave them at home when im ferreting just because they get in the way when netting up all though i do sometimes take my mates spannial to mark the holes. if i dont take the nets with me then ill take the lurcher but most of the time i leave the dogs at home.

for a young age introduce the pup to the ferrets letting them drink milk out of the same bowl and if the ferret are 100% not going to really hurt the pup then if the pup has the right temperament they might play i'v been lucky with my terrier and lurcher fine with them the terrier [bANNED TEXT] a pup used to play with them but now she's like an old women even tho she's 3 lol and my lurcher plays with my hob :) before i got my lurcher my terrier was a great help [bANNED TEXT] out :) holding them down and even caught two rabbits that slipped the net

if it is a adult dog you just have to have patience. let the dog go with you everyday while you feed them and clean them. the dog will start to accept this as part of a routine. when introducing the ferret at first to the dog. i would hold the ferret rear to the dogs nose. with a hold on the dogs collar.you can jerk the dogs collar back with a stern no if makes a lunge at the ferret. you can tell a dog to leave a ferret. but you cant tell a ferret to leave a dog alone. this is why i present a ferrets rear to the dog early days.with time you will progress. just a bit at a time each day. praise the dog if it has done well . just make it no big deal just be calm but firm with the dog praise when neccessary.in time you will have a dog that accepts ferrets easily and you can start your trips out in the field. good luck if you go down the ferreting path atb,

i take my lakie x parson, saves time on netting up an empty warren, as he gives a mark. also useful for small warrens/undergrowth/sticking him inside a long net. as for mixing ferrets and dogs, i let the dog sniff them inside a hutch for a while, 2/3 days. then i put the dog on the lead while letting the ferrets run around, if the dog goes for them, sharply pull on lead, give a little smack and emphasise that his not allowed to do that. also although i didn't have to do this, a friend of mine lets ferrets/dogs drink milk out of same bowl.

My terriers go mental at the sight of a Ferret even the sound of the Ferret and my Bitch starts ravin'.

My Lurcher on the other hand is bang on with the Ferret, I introduced him to the Ferret whilst he was a few months old and kept a close eye on him when they were free to run about together in the garden and they've been spot on together.

Get a Lurcher to go Ferreting with.