GETTING IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it really depends on what kind of night i'm expecting to do. if i wanna be out for a while, then i feed wholemeal food...ie bread, rice, porridge in the morning. always give 8 hours plus before runnin

i think if your lamping after midnight,, feeding them at tea time, is perfect, gives them 6-8 hours to digest there food, of course if your going soon as its dark,, you got to alter this

yep...100% i would "not" go out if my dog had just fed. Firstly, would you feel like running after a meal. Secondly his performance will be restricted, he won't catch, his confidence may get affected

yep...100% i would "not" go out if my dog had just fed. Firstly, would you feel like running after a meal. Secondly his performance will be restricted, he won't catch, his confidence may get affected and making your permission have lamp-shy rabbits. Thirdly and most importantly, running on a full stomach can cause bloat, which can potentially kill ya lurcher.

• Like 2

I always feed my dogs early afternoon between 1-3pm this is when we'll be out after midnight giving it plenty of time to digest. If running abit early on permission would get them out first thing and feed them in the morning. Always feed them when i get in and their right to go the next night! :thumbs:

I would never feed just before running the dog! Although its been known while qualifying a greyhound :whistling:

Guest born to run1083

i usally feed my dogs in the mornings. when i am working them i will feed in the morning as usall then give them a small feed upto 4 hours before i go out depending on how hard a night i think i will be having.

not feeding a dog for 24hours before running them imo is a load of bollox and bloody dangerous for the dog. many a time ive seen dogs run without being fed for 24 hours and they have collapsed everyone with the same problem there blood sugar levels have dropped and some have started to fit which sometimes can cause death. the drop in sugar levels i would say is down to the lack of food for the body to feed off.

ive never known a dog thats been fed 10 hours previous collapse from low sugar levels. you dont go to work on a empty stomach so why expect your dog too. this is based on what i have experienced others might say different.

That post is spot on

usually feed late at night...but if i'm out for a long hard night..i feed a small light meal at least 6-8 hours before i go. If its just a steady night with not too many runs i don't feed.It all depends on how hard the dogs going to be working on the night/day.

i usally feed my dogs in the mornings. when i am working them i will feed in the morning as usall then give them a small feed upto 4 hours before i go out depending on how hard a night i think i will be having.

not feeding a dog for 24hours before running them imo is a load of bollox and bloody dangerous for the dog. many a time ive seen dogs run without being fed for 24 hours and they have collapsed everyone with the same problem there blood sugar levels have dropped and some have started to fit which sometimes can cause death. the drop in sugar levels i would say is down to the lack of food for the body to feed off.

ive never known a dog thats been fed 10 hours previous collapse from low sugar levels. you dont go to work on a empty stomach so why expect your dog too. this is based on what i have experienced others might say different.

I personally have always fed my dog around half 3, 4ish every day and if I'm going lamping I normally go around 9ish. I believe this is plenty of time and my dog has never fitted or cramped after a hard night lamping. Done this for 7 years with him and he's never looked sluggish or bloated. Although the lads I go out with constantly moan "you better not have fed him today" as they won't feed them at all that day, cruelty is what that is!!!!