roach back

Guest lamper/gatherer

Guest lamper/gatherer

hi fellas,visited my mate yesterday with my dog,as soon as he saw him, he said, he had a roach back,i have heard of it,not sure what he meant though,anyone know.will it affect him as a working dog at all. :icon_redface:

roach back is just a term to describe a dogs back shape, not a flat back but a back that rises and then curves slightly downwards towards the base of the tail. Its common in greyhounds and isnt in anyway harmfull or detrimental to a dogs running ability. Ive owned a greyhound with a roachback and she didnt have any probs with her running ;)

Edited by mole catcher
hi fellas,visited my mate yesterday with my dog,as soon as he saw him, he said, he had a roach back,i have heard of it,not sure what he meant though,anyone know.will it affect him as a working dog at all. :icon_redface:

Nothing to worry about ,its very common in dogs with a lot of whippet blood in them ,the term just describes the curve of the dogs back ,as oppossed to a level one ,it as no effect on the dogs running ability,I beleiveit is required as part of the standard of the Borzoi.Inan.