Whats peoples thoughts on unmated jills.

leaving ferrets in season is like smoking you dont always get cancer but why risk it

Plain and simple I dont smoke and I've never had a problem of a jill with these mentioned illnesses/diseases if its not broke why fix it

Y.I.S Leeview

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having learned the hard way how Galling it is to lose a ferret to anemia, I can quite happily say I think you are wrong, and will stand by that as long as you like!   If you keep Jills, minmise the

Me for one,, I lost a wee jill years ago through staying in season, and developing anemia,, NEVER again,, felt like a twat for showing a lack of knowledge,, so I never risk it now,, snipped hob

I've had ferrets since about 1977, never used the jill jab, snipped hob or any other method mentioned in fact back then it wasn't even an option, I've always kept my cages clean, fed meat all year rou

I take all the precautions to cover my resposibilities as a pet owner be it a ferret, a dog or cat. I have not experienced the sad loss of a jill due to leaving my jill in season and never will, as i dont risk it. I have seen my dad loose jills and he still goes by his experience, and my mates have lost jills due to being left in season. Its simple really i got a ferret but before i did so i read up about them and talked to people about them, i learned that leaving them in season has its consequences, usually death. So in my ten years of little experience, i have never lost a jill yet at all, my first jills still here.

Have you ever actually seen a dog/ferret infected with CD or parvo? Or a jill with advanced aplastic anaemia? It's not a pretty sight and they aren't make believe conditions found in a book! Other animals are brought out of season via injections, dogs & cats are brought out of season with the same hormone regulators as ferrets are. Vaccines are advised to prevent illness/disease as prevention is better than cure, exactly the same principle of using hormone regulators in jills...to prevent aplastic anema/pyometra rather than treating the conditions after they have developed. Treating the conditions are much more expensive than preventing them in the first place, not to mention ensuring an animal doesn't suffer for no good reason.

The hormones that animals are injected with are the same naturally occuring hormones the animal already produces, not 'chemicals'. People don't always want to use hormones long-term, so a hoblet is another solution and spaying eliminates the issue altogether. Either way, leaving jills in season can and does cause serious problems, whether you have experienced them or not. If you would rather wait until a jill became ill in order to utilise alternative methods of bringing them out of season instead of ensuring it's prevented in the first place then that's your choice but I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think you should either.

Ever actually seen a dog or ferret infected with CD or parvo? Dog YES ferret NO but none of my animals have ever had either in all my time of keeping them :thumbs:

Or a jill with aplastic anemia? NO NEVER

Dogs and Cats are brought out of season :hmm: with the same hormone regulators as ferrets are. SURELY not due to the size difference in your 3 instances?

Vaccines are advised(administered)to prevent illness/disease as prevention is better than cure.NEVER DISPUTED THAT FACT BUT I ASKED ABOUT BOOSTERS :yes:

EITHER WAYS, leaving a jill in season CAN and does cause serious problems,wether you have experienced them or not, if you would rather wait until a jill became ill in order to use alternative methods of bringing them out of season instead of ensuring its prevented in the first place thats your choice but I would nt recommend it and I dont think you should either

CAN and MIGHT are very popular words with people trying to convince others what to do :hmm: Having had ferrets for over 50years Vasectomised hobs were unheard of :yes: jill jabs when did they come about? around about the same time as the fluffies brigade got into showing ferrets? So how did you manage before then? My experience leads me to believe its not neccessary to have them taken out of season with no ill effects whatsoever :thumbs:

Yourself on the other hand tell me what you think will happen to my ferrets if I dont do what you say :yes: and your experience of these illnesses/diseases are they first hand or read/heard from equally dubious sources

BUT hold on you jab your jills and snip your hobs so your ferrets cant possibly suffer from these symptoms you have seen can they

Y.I.S Leeview

Sorry mate, it appears your leave your jills in season and they will be fine arguement isn't really convincing anyone. As far as boosters go, have you ever heard of antigens? If you haven't, then read one of those books full of pretend illnesses you keep talking about and you will be able to answer your own question. Modern science has moved on, why don't you catch up.

Have you ever actually seen a dog/ferret infected with CD or parvo? Or a jill with advanced aplastic anaemia? It's not a pretty sight and they aren't make believe conditions found in a book! Other animals are brought out of season via injections, dogs & cats are brought out of season with the same hormone regulators as ferrets are. Vaccines are advised to prevent illness/disease as prevention is better than cure, exactly the same principle of using hormone regulators in jills...to prevent aplastic anema/pyometra rather than treating the conditions after they have developed. Treating the conditions are much more expensive than preventing them in the first place, not to mention ensuring an animal doesn't suffer for no good reason.

The hormones that animals are injected with are the same naturally occuring hormones the animal already produces, not 'chemicals'. People don't always want to use hormones long-term, so a hoblet is another solution and spaying eliminates the issue altogether. Either way, leaving jills in season can and does cause serious problems, whether you have experienced them or not. If you would rather wait until a jill became ill in order to utilise alternative methods of bringing them out of season instead of ensuring it's prevented in the first place then that's your choice but I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think you should either.

Ever actually seen a dog or ferret infected with CD or parvo? Dog YES ferret NO but none of my animals have ever had either in all my time of keeping them :thumbs:

Dogs and Cats are brought out of season :hmm: with the same hormone regulators as ferrets are. SURELY not due to the size difference in your 3 instances?

Vaccines are advised(administered)to prevent illness/disease as prevention is better than cure.NEVER DISPUTED THAT FACT BUT I ASKED ABOUT BOOSTERS :yes:

EITHER WAYS, leaving a jill in season CAN and does cause serious problems,wether you have experienced them or not, if you would rather wait until a jill became ill in order to use alternative methods of bringing them out of season instead of ensuring its prevented in the first place thats your choice but I would nt recommend it and I dont think you should either

CAN and MIGHT are very popular words with people trying to convince others what to do :hmm: Having had ferrets for over 50years Vasectomised hobs were unheard of :yes: jill jabs when did they come about? around about the same time as the fluffies brigade got into showing ferrets? So how did you manage before then? My experience leads me to believe its not neccessary to have them taken out of season with no ill effects whatsoever :thumbs:

Yourself on the other hand tell me what you think will happen to my ferrets if I dont do what you say :yes: and your experience of these illnesses/diseases are they first hand or read/heard from equally dubious sources

BUT hold on you jab your jills and snip your hobs so your ferrets cant possibly suffer from these symptoms you have seen can they

Y.I.S Leeview

Sorry mate, it appears your leave your jills in season and they will be fine arguement isn't really convincing anyone. As far as boosters go, have you ever heard of antigens? If you haven't, then read one of those books full of pretend illnesses you keep talking about and you will be able to answer your own question. Modern science has moved on, why don't you catch up.

your forgetting theres documented downsides to jill jabs ,spaying ect each to there own iam in the lea camp but thinking on a vas hob for next year but again read the documented downside on phantom pregnancys .science aint moved that much when they cant guarentee a problem free solution without side effects so your argument aint convincing me

Lets round this argument up its getting out of hand and its now boring. If you leave your jills in season it leads to the levels of oestrogen to build up, causing progressive depression of bone marrow. This CAN lead to pancytopaenia, the abnormal depression of all 3 cell types in the blood. This CAN be potentially fatal, but DOES inevitably kill them before full life expectancy. When the vulva is swollen shes open to allsorts of infection, she will develop peritonitis this can kill her then and there, or for you lot that have all the experience it can clear up lol, well thats what your lead to believe, it actually lies dormant in the uterine glands, can do for years, once you breed her it kills her, there are many other infections that can end her life. For those who argue and ask, what would they do in the wild? Well heres your answer in the wild the wild polecat will breed at the first opportunity. If they didnt the polecat would be extinct. As they are more exposed to disease in the wild, and thats not out of a book, its common sense. There methods out there to take the jill out of season, if you have the experience or not and respect your ferret then you use them, if not thats fine.

I can only assume that you're writing not from personal experience but from what you've read on the internet :hmm: The giveaway line is "does inevitiably kill them", I know of many instances of jills living to the ripe old age of 12 or 13 that have never been taken out of season so the question for you has to be, how did they manage that if it does inevitably kill them? :hmm:

Y.I.S Leeview

your forgetting theres documented downsides to jill jabs ,spaying ect each to there own iam in the lea camp but thinking on a vas hob for next year but again read the documented downside on phantom pregnancys .science aint moved that much when they cant guarentee a problem free solution without side effects so your argument aint convincing me

There are documented downsides to chemo, vaccinations & surgery....but they save lives, so get a proper arguement.

The use of Jill jabs & hoblets are designed to 'trick' the jills reproductive system into a false/psuedo pregnancy, therefore bringing them out of season, preventing bone marrow hyperplasia, immunity supression, decreased platelet count/internal bleeding etc etc associated with prolonged oestrus/aplastic anaemia. A pregnant jill can return to season after birthing a litter, but it certainly doesn't mean just keep breeding her to solve the problem. So why should the risks of pyometra & aplastic anaemia, UTI's etc by leaving jills in prolonged oestrus be a better solution than minimising/eliminating the risks by alternative methods? Alternative methods of hormone influence have been developed and are highly successful for the reason that the risk of prolonged oestrus in jills is more severe than potential side effects of alternative methods, including spaying.

You stay in the lea camp out there in no man's land......

Y.I.S Leeview

what are the potential side effects of spaying? just for my own interest? Had mine spayed 3 years ago and no problems or side effects yet, just wondered if there's anything I need to look out for?

Y.I.S Leeview

There are documented downsides to chemo, vaccinations & surgery....but they save lives, so get a proper arguement.

The use of Jill jabs & hoblets are designed to 'trick' the jills reproductive system into a false/psuedo pregnancy,

PLAYING WITH THE JILLS HEAD :yes:

therefore bringing them out of season, preventing bone marrow hyperplasia, immunity supression, decreased platelet count/internal bleeding etc etc associated with prolonged oestrus/aplastic anaemia. A pregnant jill can return to season after birthing a litter,

DID YOU NOT SUGGEST EARLIER IN THIS SITUATION TO GET THE JILL REJABBED WHEN THIS HAPPENS? :hmm: WHILST FEEDING KITS?

but it certainly doesn't mean just keep breeding her to solve the problem.

WHERE HAVE I MENTIONED BREEDING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

So why should the risks of pyometra & aplastic anaemia, UTI's etc by leaving jills in prolonged oestrus be a better solution than minimising/eliminating the risks by alternative methods? Alternative methods of hormone influence have been developed

WHERE DO THEY GET THESE HORMONES FROM TO INJECT THE JILL?

and are highly successful for the reason that the risk of prolonged oestrus in jills is more severe than potential side effects of alternative methods, including spaying.

You stay in the lea camp out there in no man's land

Y.I.S Leeview :yes:

Y.I.S Leeview

The use of Jill jabs & hoblets are designed to 'trick' the jills reproductive system into a false/psuedo pregnancy,

therefore bringing them out of season, preventing bone marrow hyperplasia, immunity supression, decreased platelet count/internal bleeding etc etc associated with prolonged oestrus/aplastic anaemia. A pregnant jill can return to season after birthing a litter,

DID YOU NOT SUGGEST EARLIER IN THIS SITUATION TO GET THE JILL REJABBED WHEN THIS HAPPENS? :hmm: WHILST FEEDING KITS?

So why should the risks of pyometra & aplastic anaemia, UTI's etc by leaving jills in prolonged oestrus be a better solution than minimising/eliminating the risks by alternative methods? Alternative methods of hormone influence have been developed

and are highly successful for the reason that the risk of prolonged oestrus in jills is more severe than potential side effects of alternative methods, including spaying.

its no 3 bad here in no mans land lee :laugh: we can get together at crimbo for a game of footy :boogy:

Y.I.S Leeview

what are the potential side effects of spaying? just for my own interest? Had mine spayed 3 years ago and no problems or side effects yet, just wondered if there's anything I need to look out for?

dont know off any side effects but i have had 3 jills spayed 1 died about a month after op and had 2 hobs castrated resulting in 1 dead about 6 weeks after op i think being such small animals there is a greater risk saying that i know lads who have had there ferrets done and suffered no losses u do feel guilty when they die cause you took the little things to the vets so its not an easy answer

Y.I.S Leeview

That reply wasn't aimed at you, but anyway.

You believe that bringing a jill out of oestrus fucks with her head? How exactly does ending her oestrus cycle do that, after all it's exactly what would happen in the wild?! Working on your warped logic, vaccinations must also f**k with heads, after all the vaccine is tricking the immune system into producing antibodies. It wasn't me who suggested jill jabbing a lactating mother, so unlucky there. Also look back over the thread, where did I say jills must be brought out of season using a jill jab?...no where. You however think it is better to deny a jill the opportunity to complete her oestrus cycle, therefore predisposing her to all sorts of complications. You'd rather subject them to a 6 month oestrus cycle?..how kind of you. Leaving them in season is more artificial than using alternative methods to end their oestrus, you just can't grasp the concept, your problem, not mine. With regards to hormone production for medical/veterinary purposes, again read one of those things called books you dislike so much, then you can answer your own question, again.

Tbh, I don't believe your jills have never had any issues with leaving them in season, but that's neither here nor there, but if that is honestly true, then can you please mention this to your vets (they are the people who make sick animals better)....they will be fascinated by these bionic jills of yours, it may even be a scientific breakthrough on ferret genetics.....