Whats peoples thoughts on unmated jills.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having learned the hard way how Galling it is to lose a ferret to anemia, I can quite happily say I think you are wrong, and will stand by that as long as you like!   If you keep Jills, minmise the

Me for one,, I lost a wee jill years ago through staying in season, and developing anemia,, NEVER again,, felt like a twat for showing a lack of knowledge,, so I never risk it now,, snipped hob

I've had ferrets since about 1977, never used the jill jab, snipped hob or any other method mentioned in fact back then it wasn't even an option, I've always kept my cages clean, fed meat all year rou

I don't really see why you would take the risk and leave them in season really. When there are several options- and the Jill jab is reasonably cheap. A Guy who runs a falconry near me has had several ferrets die this year yet he still left his girls in season, and hardly cleans them out so won't be surprised if he has none by the end of the year. I chose to get my neutered just makes it easier as I know I won't be breeding from them, and worth it in the long run prob same cost as Jill jabs over the years and stops me having to go to the vet just for that.

i agree, if you leave your jill in season its cruel, it leads to the levels of oestrogen building up, causing progressive depression of the bone marrow. This can lead to the depression of all three cell types in the jills blood, causing lots of problems, it always ends in the jill dieing young. It leaves he jill open to infection and other fatal consequences.

• Like 1

i agree, if you leave your jill in season its cruel, it leads to the levels of oestrogen building up, causing progressive depression of the bone marrow. This can lead to the depression of all three cell types in the jills blood, causing lots of problems, it always ends in the jill dieing young. It leaves he jill open to infection and other fatal consequences.

THIS CAN :hmm: you say

Does this happen to every single jill left in season? jill jab and vasectomised hob will take them out of season but the jill will 9 times out of 10 come back in season 6weeks later :yes: and then what?

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

It actually does happen to every jill, but depends on a few different things, diet and hygiene etc. But they will not live for the potential 12 years that they are supposed to live for. And the jill will never make it past 5, 6 years due to health problems they pick up when they are older anyway, your just shortening their lifespan, no doubt about it.

It actually does happen to every jill, but depends on a few different things, diet and hygiene etc. But they will not live for the potential 12 years that they are supposed to live for. And the jill will never make it past 5, 6 years due to health problems they pick up when they are older anyway, your just shortening their lifespan, no doubt about it.

IT HAPPENS TO EVERY JILL

and this diet? no dried food whatsoever :thumbs: flesh all the way for my ferrets,and 1's starting her 10th working season and her daughter will be starting her 9th working season this week, :yes: so are these by your reckoning living on borrowed time? Or just getting the best of everything and thriving on it?

Y.I.S Leeview

all methods have documented problems .i hear the jill jab is being phased out for an implant ££££££££££££ vas hob seems the choice of many but to many phantoms will cause probs too ,cant win situation it seems ... pays your money takes your choice or pay no money and keep them clean :whistling:

Mmmmm i wouldnt have thought so. I disagree as its very unlikely, my friend along the road treats ferrets with no respect, he loses his jills year after year, and i also know of another lad who had his jill for four years, he bred it for the first time this year it died with full litter in womb, vet said it was an infection due to him leaving her in season year after year. I have read up on the topic studied it and dont think they would survive that long. But thats my opinion and if your telling the truth im glad for you as i wouldnt wish anyones ferret dead.