Home loading

Guest Ash

SAID I WOULD PUT THIS UP ANY ONE INTERESTED IN LOADING THERE OWN CENTREFIRE RIFLE AMMO.

1 You get a lub pad put a small amount of lub on it and roll your empty rifle case over the pad (dont lub the kneck)

225913.jpg

2 Then you place you case in a sizing press lower the lever and resize your case back to its factory size while doing this there is a pin built in the size die that removes the old primer.

225917.jpg

3 You then need to put a new primer in the resized case its just a mater of placing the case in the primer press and lowering the handle. ( dont touch primers with your hands moisture makes them inactive there is a tray to use look at green tray next to press)

225921.jpg

4 Then its get the scales out a nice cheap set of balance scales will do but there are loads of differnt ones but remeber they must measure in grans.

225922.jpg

5 then put the measured powder in the primed case use a funnel.

225923.jpg

6 Place the primed case with powder in it into the bullet seater put the bullet in the top hole and lower the handle .

225924.jpg

7 you should now have a nice home made round to fire .before anyone jumps down my throat and starts all the what about how much powder all the differnt bullets etc this is the basic and from here there is no limmit to what you can load and the variations are vast. the facts are loading is alot cheaper and if you ahave a small amount of time they are more acurate than factory about 50% ps hope this works lol

225925.jpg

shotshell.jpg

I like to use a "progressive" loading machine it has 5 stations and performs all the steps each time you pull the handle. Its not quite as acuarate as a single stage press, but its good enough for most shooting.

http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?

And don't forgt its nice to clean your brass before you start reloading, i like to tumble it with crushed walnut shells and polishing compound. A good machine costs about $ 50 US.

Reloading is a nice hobby and it saves a lot of money.

Edited by pbman

I do cleen the brass honest ;) it was just for the picture i clean my by hand each one and that gives me achance to see the state of the kneck just incase i have missed any splits B) . There are to reasons for me to home load the first being acuracy thats why each stage is done seprate the second one is not that omportant and thats cost. I do realise that in the USA the cost of stuff is real cheap but not so here in rip off britain.

You clean each round by hand? Thats a lot of work IMO but if you don't shoot that much i guess it makes sense, i shoot a least 300 rounds a week, i need to do everything as fast as i can, i hang an empty .co cal. ammo can, off my press, and just fill it up, i buy my powder in 4 lb cans and primers by the case. I can reload .38 rounds for about .04 cents each.

tax reform? we need a new bloody government mate, one that is fieldsports friendly :D i,ve just dipped my toe in the water, and bought a stock from the states. and saved a lot of money, gonna start and by most of my gear abroad, its a lot cheaper, keep your powder dry mate :good:

Guest Combineman

Don't mind if an American stops by to chat do you? I frequent several American Forums where we discuss guns, hunting and reloading and someone posted a link to this forum.

I have been an avid hunter/shooter and reloader for over 27 years. Hunting has been slow this year but I have been target shooting alot. Still waiting for the Snow to push the Elk down so I can fill the freezer. Season ends Dec 31 so I still have time.

Anyway, just wondering if you mind if I stop by now and then for a chat.

Thx.

CM

Edited by Combineman
Yes welcome combineman, lets hear some tales from the other side of the pond, you have more interesting critters! :D

welcome comb man was thinking how i would like o hunt stalk some elk would make a nice change and might just save my old back im sick of draging them roe in.A nice easy elk thats what we need over here.

Guest Combineman

Thx to all for the welcome,

I went out today looking to see if the snow has pushed any elk down out of the mountains and into the unit I have a tag for. No dice.

This is not like Idaho for there to be so little snow in Dec. The old 300 Weatherby went unfired yet another hunt. Maybe next weekend. I'll post a photo if I bag one.

CM