new permission last night. then the police come

im working on this farm and they asked me if I knew someone to do pest control on their and their dads farms.

I replied yes me then we went for a drive about on monday to show me the boundaries and the do and don'ts

there is about 2000acres and last night when I went to do abit of shooting i got there about 7 and set the gun up went for a drive about 8:30

it was all going well shot 7 rabbits and 3 pigeons then i was on the way to go have a cuppa at the house at about 11pm just as i pulled out of the gate and the police come out of nowhere with blue light on so I got out to to see what they wanted he said you're taking game without permission .so I got the permission letter out and he laughed and said did you write that . I replied no you can check.He said don't you worry im going to .so off we went we got to the house to see tim out with his dogs the police aksed tim if he give me permission .he replied yes so that was that we get back to the truck then he sed just got to give your truck a look over so by this point i was well pissed but what can you do

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly , more and more drivel gets posted on here ...........

Why would all that happen you've got air-rifles mun...........sometimes Mole I wonder if your actually for real.   ps don't get your missus to come on and tell me off.  

What you do is tell the police where you are going and what time you are going before you go. Ring up the local control room, tell them what you are shooting, what you are using to shoot, where you will be shooting, what times you will be shooting between and the police will not bother you, even if someone reports you being on the permission land. I have had cause to thank the police for turning up (found live shotgun cartridges on my permission and the police disposed of them). Simply tell them who you are, when, where and what and they are more than happy to leave you alone. After all wouldn't you want someone calling the police if they saw a stranger with a firearm in your back garden?

• Like 1

What you do is tell the police where you are going and what time you are going before you go. Ring up the local control room, tell them what you are shooting, what you are using to shoot, where you will be shooting, what times you will be shooting between and the police will not bother you, even if someone reports you being on the permission land. I have had cause to thank the police for turning up (found live shotgun cartridges on my permission and the police disposed of them). Simply tell them who you are, when, where and what and they are more than happy to leave you alone. After all wouldn't you want someone calling the police if they saw a stranger with a firearm in your back garden?

could you not have just destroyed and buried them and be done with it or did you maybe think there was suspicious cicumstances that may have been the reason for them being dumped or do you think it was a case of someone mistakenly dropping a few which although not ideal prob just an accident just asking what prompted you to ring old bill thats all?

Mate the copper probably felt a right prick because he would have defo looked like one when the land owner said you had permission to be there :yes: sounds to me like he was just clutching at straws when he gave your van the once over. Try not let them bother you.

ATB

i used to shoot on a golfcourse that was private, but had a public footpath crossing it with a rabbit warren very near, we were shooting when this fella shows up with his shitzu, "you want to be careful, a fella got shot last year when a pellet rebounded of the floor and hit him in the leg", "did he" i said. the fella said yeah and then walked over to us, "its illegal you know?" he said. i asked him what was illegal, to which he replied "shooting air rifles on public property", i then stated it was private land and was asked by him to show my permission slip, as he was trespassing, i asked for his. he then walked to the footpath and called the police who we had notified of our presence.

"i've called the police" he said, "im going to wait here to make sure you dont run" O_o (like he would stop us, he was 60 ish and had a dog (and we had no reason to run anyway) he must of stood there an hour, we shot about 6 rabbits under his supervision. and we decided we had enough of shooting. we then stood up and went over to him, "are we allowed to leave now, or do you still think they are coming?" to which he called us murdering b*****ds and walked away. turned out to be a good night as we saw a family of foxes and a sand lizard (daytime).

moral of the story is, allways notify the police or you dont get to laugh at anti's

• Like 1

Out of interest, when you call in to log your movement with old bill, do they ask for any kind of proof that where you are going you have permission?

i went to the plod shop, showed them my permission and they gave me an incident number, then whenever i went after that time, i called, quoted the number and told them how long i'd be there. that was all i had to do :)

could you not have just destroyed and buried them and be done with it or did you maybe think there was suspicious cicumstances that may have been the reason for them being dumped or do you think it was a case of someone mistakenly dropping a few which although not ideal prob just an accident just asking what prompted you to ring old bill thats all?

When something has an explosive charge in it that you are not used to handling and you know the old bill is on the way down as they have rung you as someone reported seeing you with a rifle, would you not rather let the law deal with it? Not my problem then if I have handed it over to the police! They rang me, I ring them, simple, I do not know how to dispose of a shotgun cartridge safely and would rather let a professional deal with it!

I tell the police the property I am shooting on, they know the land owners, I assume they have checked, but I have never had to show the permission slip. Norfolk police like to know who you are, what you are doing, when you are going to be there, that's all, never had a problem with the control room, always been very helpful!

Edited by secretagentmole

Moley, assuming your average plod knows one end of a shotgun cartridge from another is somewhat hopeful. Also it is not illegal for you to posess them. Thirdly, the explosive charge you worry so much about is actually extremely stable and no real risk. You would be safe to drop them in the nearest litter bin. Unconfined, even if they manage to smack the primer with sufficient force to ignite it (pretty unlikely) all you'll get is a bit of a pop, the shotgun relies on the chamber to direct the energy to propel the shot.

That said, if they're coming down anyway, it's a good way of getting rid of them if you don't want them. They'll probably end up in some locker at the nick for the next few years, then get chucked.