I'm thinking of breeding my EU polecats

In breeding done by someone who knows what there doing can be beneficial, as it will fix good traits & desired things, & it will also bring forward bad points a hell of a lot quicker than breeding unrelated ferrets, but I think breeding period should be done by people who know what there doing & have a good knowledge of genetics

Kay, I couldn't agree more! Inbreeding is invaluable for bringing out the recessive genes that both parents are carrying, both beneficial and deleterious, and geneticists advise doing it at least every 3 generations so that any harmful genes can be eliminated before they become widespread among the breeding population. Serious breeders should also be keeping complete records of what their breedings have produced, as well as tracking their kits after they are placed...something which seems to be very rare in the UK.

Although i agree with what you are saying, i find the idea of a 'serious ferret breeder', i.e someone who breeds a lot of ferret as often as they can, rather than those that breed for their own use (i.e every few years) a bit wank.

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be honest I would think long & hard about breeding anything, ferrets dogs whatever, if your main reason is a cosmetic one I seriously dont think its a good enough reason for you to be simply br

See that? That's where you've just lost your credibility. Call it youthful exuberance or whatever, but you've just boasted to a bloke on an internet forum that you can almost guarantee that your ferr

Jesus fecking christ, has no one heard of sarcasm and taking the piss???

Aye why would somebody want loads of kits every year there no a cash machine there going to cost a fortune to feed and more importantly what is over breeding going to bring to the working side of ferreting which is the main aim when they where domesticated

In breeding done by someone who knows what there doing can be beneficial, as it will fix good traits & desired things, & it will also bring forward bad points a hell of a lot quicker than breeding unrelated ferrets, but I think breeding period should be done by people who know what there doing & have a good knowledge of genetics

Kay, I couldn't agree more! Inbreeding is invaluable for bringing out the recessive genes that both parents are carrying, both beneficial and deleterious, and geneticists advise doing it at least every 3 generations so that any harmful genes can be eliminated before they become widespread among the breeding population. Serious breeders should also be keeping complete records of what their breedings have produced, as well as tracking their kits after they are placed...something which seems to be very rare in the UK.

FFS

FFS

Although i agree with what you are saying, i find the idea of a 'serious ferret breeder', i.e someone who breeds a lot of ferret as often as they can, rather than those that breed for their own use (i.e every few years) a bit wank.

I would consider a serious ferret breeder to be one who has a good working knowledge of genetics, and at least a basic knowledge of ferret genetics, plus is breeding toward his/her vision of the ideal ferret/polecat. Each breeding is carefully planned to produce better than the parents and the breeder plans to keep the best kit or kits.

I wouldn't consider anyone a serious breeder who breeds multiple litters a year with no real thought given to the suitability of the mates to produce better than they are or any thought given to anything other than the current generation. IMO, someone who breeds a litter every 3-4 years after a great deal of thought beforehand is far more likely to be a knowledgeable and serious breeder.

Edited by ferret lady

I would consider a serious ferret breeder to be one who has a good working knowledge of genetics, and at least a basic knowledge of ferret genetics, plus is breeding toward his/her vision of the ideal ferret/polecat. Each breeding is carefully planned to produce better than the parents and the breeder plans to keep the best kit or kits.

I wouldn't consider anyone a serious breeder who breeds multiple litters a year with no real thought given to the suitability of the mates to produce better than they are or any thought given to anything other than the current generation. IMO, someone who breeds a litter every 3-4 years after a great deal of thought beforehand is far more likely to be a knowledgeable and serious breeder.

Then we agree on something!

never readily agreed with you Ideation.....until now :victory:

'ferret lady' timestamp='1313867952' post='2201499']

'Ideation' timestamp='1313853076' post='2201177']

I would agree with the bit you plan to produce better than the parents but your talking about cosmetic looks and no working ability

I would agree with the bit you plan to produce better than the parents but your talking about cosmetic looks and no working ability

I'm talking about BOTH physical and mental traits. It doesn't matter how good their conformation is if they don't have a stable temperament, plus the correct instincts and mentality to do what they were bred to do.

'ferret lady' timestamp='1313888220' post='2201908']

'The one' timestamp='1313873654' post='2201671']

I'm talking about BOTH physical and mental traits. It doesn't matter how good their conformation is if they don't have a stable temperament, plus the correct instincts and mentality to do what they were bred to do.

But how do you know you don't give them a full physical test ie work them hard a idiot can sit and look pretty .

Please don't get mad but, no, I do not work my ferrets/polecats. I live in South West London and it is not something I have ever been offered the opportunity to do. I did not mean to hijack the forum for a conversation that some may feel doesn't belong here but, not knowing anybody locally who keeps ferrets (let alone EUs) I noticed that this forum came up again and again when I looked for other keepers on the Internet. Because of that, I thought that this would be the place where people might be most knowledgeable.Certainly, this is the most opportunity that I have been provided with to talk about them with other people. I know it is a hunting forum but the pet keeping forums all seem to get very irate when EUs are mentioned.

I have kept ferrets for ten years and these are the first that I have bought where I have had the opportunity to see both of the parents and know a little about their lineage. I have recently massively expanded the courts where I keep the ferrets/polecats and I began to look into the possibility of breeding. I too, am aware of people who have interbred EUs because of the demand for dark coloured animals for shows. I don't want that for my hob and jill or for their babies so I wanted to try to identify other keepers and get their thoughts. :)

will your on the wrong site then this is for working ferrets :bye:

• Like 2

I tell you what, you lot are starting to sound more and more like the kennel club all the time. I'm just wondering how long it will be before you all start breeding for exaggerated features that you convince yourselves are needed for the animal to do it's job?

• Like 1

I tell you what, you lot are starting to sound more and more like the kennel club all the time. I'm just wondering how long it will be before you all start breeding for exaggerated features that you convince yourselves are needed for the animal to do it's job?

oh come on malt you know you secretly want one a pair.