I'm thinking of breeding my EU polecats

Hello, I'm new to the forum and thought I would pick your brains if that's okay?

I bought a pair of stunning EU polecat kits earlier this year. They are brother and sister so I cannot let them breed with one another. I have kept EU poleys before and also have had ferrets for years without having bred any of them.

As these guys have got older, their temperament has come on leaps and bounds and they are really good looking animals. I would love to breed from the jill next year before having her neutered but I obviously need to identify an unrelated EU poley hob for stud services.

Does anybody know of anyone who might be interested in offering an EU poley hob for the job? I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be honest I would think long & hard about breeding anything, ferrets dogs whatever, if your main reason is a cosmetic one I seriously dont think its a good enough reason for you to be simply br

See that? That's where you've just lost your credibility. Call it youthful exuberance or whatever, but you've just boasted to a bloke on an internet forum that you can almost guarantee that your ferr

Jesus fecking christ, has no one heard of sarcasm and taking the piss???

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You got the wrong section this is the ferrets and ferreting section , you might want to try the animals for stud or the eu polecat forum

Edited by Jamie m
  • Like 1

Hello, I'm new to the forum and thought I would pick your brains if that's okay?

I bought a pair of stunning EU polecat kits earlier this year. They are brother and sister so I cannot let them breed with one another. I have kept EU poleys before and also have had ferrets for years without having bred any of them.

As these guys have got older, their temperament has come on leaps and bounds and they are really good looking animals. I would love to breed from the jill next year before having her neutered but I obviously need to identify an unrelated EU poley hob for stud services.

Does anybody know of anyone who might be interested in offering an EU poley hob for the job? I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee.

To be honest I would think long & hard about breeding anything, ferrets dogs whatever, if your main reason is a cosmetic one I seriously dont think its a good enough reason for you to be simply breeding because you can

take the colour out of the equation , if your intention is to work these animals then next spring will not imo be long enough for you to make a decision as to whether the jill is worthy of breeding from

her temperament may well ok now , but that could all change when she reaches sexual maturity , personally if the only reason you want to breed is because you like the colour, just buy in a couple next year, a hell of a lot cheaper than bringing on a litter if you do it properly

I would certainly not recommend breeding this type of animal if its your first ever litter either , don't forget you could have in excess of 10 very switched on kits to handle & make sure there suitable for homing , even a seasoned ferret keeper would struggle if there typical of this type of animal

Also making sure you have experienced homes lined up & to be honest the last few months people haven't been able to give these dark ferret away there's been so many bred, so you could find your self with a whole litter & no homes for them

Ultimately its up to you I have just given my opinion :thumbs:

• Like 3

Thank you, I appreciate the sound advice, Kay and the welcome, Kittlerox. You made some very valid points and I will give the matter serious consideration. I had considered breeding for several years but all of my other ferrets have been rescues and these are the first I know something of the lineage of. It is unlikely that I would go ahead, just wanted to float the idea and get some advice :-)

Thank you, I appreciate the sound advice, Kay and the welcome, Kittlerox. You made some very valid points and I will give the matter serious consideration. I had considered breeding for several years but all of my other ferrets have been rescues and these are the first I know something of the lineage of. It is unlikely that I would go ahead, just wanted to float the idea and get some advice :-)

i would certainly use the next 12 months to observe this Jill , she can brought out of season with other methods , but i would use the time to note things down about her , The biggest thing for me would be handle-ability, just see how she is this time next year & then you can always think about the following spring

Aye bud

I own europes top line of EU polecats,, they are unique in that they are one of the only TRUE lines of wild polecat,, unrelated to any domesticated ferret,(common muck IMHO) I have a large strong wild male that would be ready to breed now,, we can discuss stud fee`s etc,, but do not expect it to be cheap !! these are the ultimate polecat,, not poncey little ferrets like most keep on here !

ATB

• Like 1

'Rake aboot' timestamp='1313699077' post='2199264']

Aye bud

I own europes top line of EU polecats,, they are unique in that they are one of the only TRUE lines of wild polecat,, unrelated to any domesticated ferret,(common muck IMHO) I have a large strong wild male that would be ready to breed now,, we can discuss stud fee`s etc,, but do not expect it to be cheap !! these are the ultimate polecat,, not poncey little ferrets like most keep on here !

ATB

We knew you where into them just got to get your mate ideal to admit it as well :icon_redface: