Another jumping question.

Started the pup (now a year old) jumping quite early on, and as he has aged, he jumps higher no problems.

But won't jump a wire fence. Stiles, stone, wooden fences, no problem. But even the lowest of wire fences and he pulls up and refuses.

Any ideas to over come this please :D

What id do mate is try make a small fence out with washing line and put it in your door way to come in/out of the house or infront of the kennel so it has the jump over it start low so it can just step over it after i while of doing this make the washing line higher so it has to jump i did this with my pup worked a treat hope this helps

Get some chicken wire: 1 metre high. Fold it in half so its lower and make a little fence in your garden, or take it to somewhere in a field and set it up: put the dog on the lead and jump over the wire yourself leading the dog. When the dog is jumping it happily at a low height then unfold it a bit to raise the height, and continue until the dog is jumping it easily at every stage. It's just a matter of getting the dog confident to jump something he can see through. Start low and build up and you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Also taking another dog along and letting the pup see it do it is a good confidence builder.

good idea and they will be clearing 6ft in no time :whistling:

i'd imagine 6ft would be starting height for some of THL's finest lurchers.................... :D

Also taking another dog along and letting the pup see it do it is a good confidence builder.

Tried this one and no joy, just lots of winging and moaning from the other side.

When he jumps the solid fences he kinda lands on top and then pushes himself of rather than a clear straight over.

Shall give that a go, cheers Penny.

I've got the opposite here, he'll jump wire netting with ease and even over pheasant pen sections but the b*****d will not jump wooden fences or five bar gates. I can normally coax him into jumping stuff and even if he has a confidence knock he'll try again but gates he sits whining or runs off to find a way round.

Skycat's dead right, start the wire from basic again though, start really small.

I always start mine on wire because if a dog is used to putting his feet on something (fence top etc) mid jump, when he does it on wire he can come a cropper.