I was very impressed by TOMO's simple squirrel tunnels in his earlier post and I asked him for a bit more info on the size and shape.

Inspired by his idea I've had a go at one of my own, which I realise might me a bit over engineered in a typical John B fashion.

Anyway it's built and off to be deployed, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Yes and yes - I've tried to keep as faithful as I can to TOMO's original at this stage.

The fence was originally just the two aoutside ones but I had to close the gap up a bit because our cat stuck his head in it when I was taking the first set of pics. The wire isn't really strong enough to form a solid roof either so if it was lower I think it would probably just bend at the instant of 'bounce'.

It took what to MK6 ? to get the seesaw right. Loads more fun to be had with this yet. :D

Hi john, what i used to use before any wild life acts came in, :D was get the galvanised tops off chicken drinkers, you know the pointy topped things and put them up in trees frequented by squirrels, place fenn mk4 to the rear no bait, deadly, ought to hear the bugger when he went off though, that is from what i can remember though as this was about a hundred years ago. :whistle: , Also that fenn trap is new and you have not adjusted the treddle yet, waaaaay to high imo, stick one of them imbras in there. B):victory:

John,

I think it would operate more effectively if you used higher grade mesh (ie thicker) and used a dome shape rather than a square cross section to the 'tunnel'. That way there would not be any spare space above or around the trap for the victim to squeeze into on firing making it more efficient and humane.

A Mk IV Fenn will work fine in a square bottomed, but arch shaped tunnel 6 inches wide at base and same height. It will need to be tweaked very slightly for a Mk VI.

OTC

Now my dad was supposed to set this, but it turned out he couldn't get the fenn trap closed enough to get the catch on. So in the end I had to go round and do it - so it was set for the first time, factory fresh, yesterday afternoon at about 2pm.

I built a bit of an extra tunnel of bricks to keep the cats out.

Got a call at 8 this morning ....

nice 1 john ,another 1 mate,doing well on them,got enough 1 inch mesh for a trap that size here for you mate,and for your doors you wanted,pick them up when you come down for a day on the crows,keep at them mate :good:

Guest The Big Fish

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks to be foul caught by it's leg.

Perhaps narrowing things down a bit and removing some of the obstacles to allow a clearer throughway might work a bit better. Your looking for a kill around its chest/neck area.

squirrel2.jpg

Edited by The Big Fish
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Chalks; I must say, I'm getting quite a fasination and respect for the old JUBY these days. I know they're pricey to get, heavy to carry and tough to set. But we have these whack off great land drains over here. Shove one up there and what they catch, they KILL! :icon_eek:

I'd like some Fenn Mk VI's and a load more Body Grippers available to me, but I haven't got them so have to make do with what's to hand. I find myself more and more just looking to my little pile of Juby's. I've tried Imbra's in the same fashion but never yet had a catch.

To be honest, I reckon it might have something to do with me tending to balls the setting and leave the f*cking safety on! :icon_redface: (I know: I'm a c***!)