Best 12 bore cartridge for pheasant

Assuming you are talking about driven birds the average distance these are taken at is 20/25 yards so it does not matter much what you use. If you are using a light side by side then Eley Impax/Hull Imperial are as good as it gets, smooth shooting and excellent patterns. If an O/U then Eley Grand Prix, Grand Prix High Pheasant, Hull High Pheasant, are 3 cartridges I have used for most of the last 45 years driven shooting when shooting my O/Us. For the last 10 years or so I have used 30gr of 5 shot in the O/Us, anything hit is usually dead in the air and the occasional bird that flies on hit is always dead where it comes to earth. With 6s you do loose a few runners, smaller shot than that then runners are a regular feature. The 28gr loads of Impax are only available in 6 and 7 shot. 7s will do a job on driven partridges ok providing you don't push them over 35 yards, you just don't have the kinetic energy in the pellets.

There are equally good cartridges from Gamebore and the other leading manufacturers, no doubt these will be as good.

If you are looking at walked up/ rough shooting then the same applies although distances will be generally further, stick to 5 shot if you can.

Good luck and remember to ENJOY yourself.

A

I'd tend to disagree with most of the above regarding shot sizes and distances.

Andy, when you say average height birds, then i'd guess we are talking out to around 35 yards as a maximum distance rather than the 45+ that seem to be a regular feature on some shoots.

I find from much patterning at varying distances and then putting it into practice, there are two things which are vital when it comes to choosing a cartridge.

First of all, how that shell patterns through your gun, every gun will react differently with every different type of specification, it may be very little difference or very noticeable but pattern is very important.

Secondly, the choking on your gun and your personal preference for choke will make a lot of difference. I've always shot lighter loads with tighter chokes and small shot (6.5/7)

Personally, with the combination of 1/2 and 5/8 chokes, firing 28gr of No.7 (7% antimony), i've never had a problem killing outright any bird that has come over me if I hit it fair and square, as I would expect to with any shell. Before the lead ban, countless Ducks fell to the same combination.

I'm not saying any of the recommendations do not work, they do, just offering a different perspective which is what these places are meant for.

Regards

SS.

I took a straw poll on our shoot last season. All members have shot for more seasons than they care to admit. 95% of them use 6's in their o/u 12 bores. One uses 5's. I have not seen any discernible difference in kills. All different types of choke are used. 28gm or 30gm are the favoured loads.

I use a 20 bore with improved cylinder and 1/4 and 28gm Eley VIPs and do not kill any less.

Cheers

Sib

'Average' height driven birds we are advised by our shooting organisations are usually shot under 25 yards. I peg my guns 50-60 yards apart, I have high banks and most of my guns are around 150 -200 yards from the flushing points. As those of you that have shot here will testify during a 120 or so bird day I will perhaps see no more than half a dozen 45 yard birds over or past me. On a 'flat' shoot then make that one a day. On close pegged flat shoots (that I avoid like the plague) then you never see a good bird unless perhaps you are a sole back gun or something. They are though good for novices as they can hit them and have a good time.

The question implies that asker is a novice, get him patterning his gun then all he will see is the holes in the pattern in one plane like a dustbin lid and not the shot string which looks like a jumbo ice creme cone. That will give him doubts especially when 2 cartridges from the same box pattern slightly differently ( as they do !!) Just get him shooting and enjoying it and not worrying about the finer points at this stage.

A

• 2 weeks later...

Average distance for driven pheasants 20 yards???? You for real???

Yes, you do some research on it. An awful lot of shoots particularly commercial guns peg guns far to close, at 50 yards apart which is a long way then 25 yards is as far as you should be shooting unless clearing something up behind another gun. I have been on a lot of shoots where pegs are 35-40 yards apart, on one the team I was with were very experienced, we agreed to only shoot birds going to and past our neighbours and not our own. We still shot 250 and could easily have shot far more. When I lay my pegs out they are a minimum of 50 yards apart and most are 60 yards. Then you know that anything coming vaguely toward you is yours.

A