lamping last nite bitch broke her leg

i had the same with a colliexgrey few years ago, broke wrist+ above. Got it to my vet he said i can fix it, but it wont ever run like it does now and the dog was only about 16 months old, it could made a good worker and i thought it was shame to just keep it as pet so young. So had it put to sleep. My vets are good vets, they look after the greyhounds at the W-TON track, and know what i do with my lurchers, so i think i am lucky having the vets that ive got who are honest with me+dogs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tbh you can debate this all you want...the dog,s gone and no amount of should have,s could have,s will bring it back..the lad made a tough decision out in the field and maybe it was right one...in an

So on the basis of a phone diagnosis you put the dog down. In my experience vets always give worse case scenario.....but to put a dog down on the basis of a phone conversation was premature imo. See

Done the right thing. Could spend lots of time and money all for nothing. Some folk getting pets and working dogs mixed up again.

I have a dog in my yard with 3 pins in his hok that was supposed to never run again that was 2 1/2 years seasons ago and hes dropped more game than you would believe since ....the point im trying to make is no vet can make that prognosis over the phone

Never said it doesn't happen but when it had that injury your were at a 50/50 stage whether to PTS or continue and hope for the best. Your gamble paid off for you..... :thumbs:

Ethyl.....wind yer neck in will ye. Theres no macho shit here, the lad decided to PTS his dog after it broke it leg and thats that. I work gundogs so if one of them broke there leg then i'd have to make the decision whether that would hinder there working capablities. Sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. :bye:

That is the best vet in the world that diagnosed a dog would never run again over the phone ....... :nono:

and if that's not deliberately trying to provoke an argument I don't know what is!

Deliberately trying to provoke an argument? .....so you honestly think a vet can diagnose over the phone that a dog will never run again ?

No I don't, but he said he already knew the outcome but just wanted confirmation, he wasn't just basing the decision on the phone call to the vet. When someone's had something like that happen and had to make the awful decision he had to make it's a bit of a shit thing to do for people to critisise, especially when he seems like one of the more genuine people on here. That's all I'm saying.

its a 50/50 call but in my opinion there aint many dogs who pull through a broken leg 100% theres always gona be some sort of strain mate,a couple of seasons back me and a pal were out lamping his dog was running the lamp and unfortunatley had an accident i didnt think it was as bad as what it looked turned out it was unfortunatley it was the 1st lamp of the season for her too shame really when it happens too young dogs well any dog for that mater all part and parcell of owning a running dog mate,sorry to here of your loss

That is the best vet in the world that diagnosed a dog would never run again over the phone ....... :nono:

and if that's not deliberately trying to provoke an argument I don't know what is!

Deliberately trying to provoke an argument? .....so you honestly think a vet can diagnose over the phone that a dog will never run again ?

No I don't, but he said he already knew the outcome but just wanted confirmation, he wasn't just basing the decision on the phone call to the vet. When someone's had something like that happen and had to make the awful decision he had to make it's a bit of a shit thing to do for people to critisise, especially when he seems like one of the more genuine people on here. That's all I'm saying.

cheers for that rob.

if he read all the posts properly he would of seen what i said.

moo just cause your dog came back from a broken a leg and can work 2 your standerd thats good for you.did you not see te amount of replies were people said they brought there dogs 2 the vet with a broken legs and had to be pts.and 1 lad spent 100s only for the dog 2 be in pain anytime it walked.so wind your kneck in it wouldnt of takeing a brain surgen 2 see how bad her leg was.it was a hard call for my pal and he made the right choice for the dog like what was said allready he had 2 be cruel 2 be kind.

SORRY about your dog mate mi bitch broke nek this year was the shitist night of me life but i still took her to a vet and had her pts proper cost half a months pay

2 weeks pay to put adog down are you working in the third world....?

it was at 2:30 am cost £250 just to walk in the vets £50 for a taxi and £180 so 480 all togever

all i was botherd about is my hunting partner :feck: :feck:

sorry to hear about that,but id say cause you didnt have the cash for the vet,he just told you that it wouldnt run again.how the hell does he know that or you for that matter.im sorry but if it was my dog i would be taking it home,and getting an xray just to comfirm the break.no way i would be killing my dog and burying it,when i didnt know for a fact it wouldnt run again.similar thing happened to a pup i got.broke its leg,and i paid 250quid for xrays and consultations.finally made the decision to give the dog away to the vets manager as a pet.the only time i have buried a dog is when it has been killed outright.at the least you owed the beast an xray

sorry to hear about that,but id say cause you didnt have the cash for the vet,he just told you that it wouldnt run again.how the hell does he know that or you for that matter.im sorry but if it was my dog i would be taking it home,and getting an xray just to comfirm the break.no way i would be killing my dog and burying it,when i didnt know for a fact it wouldnt run again.similar thing happened to a pup i got.broke its leg,and i paid 250quid for xrays and consultations.finally made the decision to give the dog away to the vets manager as a pet.the only time i have buried a dog is when it has been killed outright.at the least you owed the beast an xray

Am very suprised an ex greyhound racing man has said this. How many of the track dogs get an x ray before they get put down? This is the point i was trying to make about pets and workers. If you have a worker then you make the decision on working abilities, if you have a pet then you let your heart rule your desicion. Either way it doesn't make you at fault... :thumbs:

an exray for what 2 say yah theres just abit of skin holding the leg together.it was not just a break it was complete snap and her foot was twisted right round with her toes faceing her tail.its easy for u 2 sit there and say this and that but if u were there seen the pain the bitch was in her heart doing 90mph her leg in f*****g pieces it was the best thing 2 do by the dog.

if it was that bad why did he phone a vet ? dont make it sound worse to justify your friends actions ....In fact I agree with what he done if it was that bad ....I have pts dogs for less ....but the point iam trying to make and im not saying it again is a vet should never make that prognosis over the phone .....and labtastic I was never 50/50 whether to put my dog to sleep in fact it never crossed my mind ..... your right on you make the decision on working ability you dont put dogs like this to sleep on a wim...... this dog gave me everything so the least I could do was give the dog a chance and it was the right decision .....

Edited by MOO
  • Like 1

was out last nite with a good pal of mine with his young collie cross bout 15 months old bitch was showing signs of being a gudden anyway first field she ran four caught 3 before we left the field i had 1 more scan an seen a squater i missed. sliped the bitch out she nearly got it out of its seat but she tumbeled and droped it after a hell of a course up and down the ditch the bitch was just geting out of range of the lamp when we heard the scream new straight away she was bad could see her holding her front right leg out could see were it broke at the ball joint and it was just dangling there she was in alot of pain her heart was pounding it didnt look good.rang 11811 2 get the nearist 24 hour vet spoke 2 the vet she wanted 160 euro just 2 see the bitch we didnt have that money on us so i explained what happend and she said the dog would never run again and it would cost hundreads if they could save the leg.so we done the decent thing and burried her.broke his heart 2 do it he is absoultely gutted.do ye think me made the right call.

RIP GIRL

Sorry to hear that. :( A mate of mine made the same decision when some kid let his collie/whippet/grey out of his mum's garden. She got ran over and broke both her front legs. The vet advised him that she could be mended at a cost of about £600, but she'd never work properly due to the severity of the breaks. :( She was only about 14 months old too, just starting to show potential.

if it was that bad why did he phone a vet ? dont make it sound worse to justify your friends actions ....In fact I agree with what he done if it was that bad ....I have pts dogs for less ....but the point iam trying to make and im not saying it again is a vet should never make that prognosis over the phone .....and labtastic I was never 50/50 whether to put my dog to sleep in fact it never crossed my mind ..... your right on you make the decision on working ability you dont put dogs like this to sleep on a wim...... this dog gave me everything so the least I could do was give the dog a chance and it was the right decision .....

As i've said no one at fault either way Moo, you made a decision on what the dog has done for you and it paid off, you could have paid thousands and the dog could still have never ran again. The lad saw the injury and decided to PTS, maybe a phonecall to the vet put his mind at ease, who knows.....?