lamping last nite bitch broke her leg

was out last nite with a good pal of mine with his young collie cross bout 15 months old bitch was showing signs of being a gudden anyway first field she ran four caught 3 before we left the field i had 1 more scan an seen a squater i missed. sliped the bitch out she nearly got it out of its seat but she tumbeled and droped it after a hell of a course up and down the ditch the bitch was just geting out of range of the lamp when we heard the scream new straight away she was bad could see her holding her front right leg out could see were it broke at the ball joint and it was just dangling there she was in alot of pain her heart was pounding it didnt look good.rang 11811 2 get the nearist 24 hour vet spoke 2 the vet she wanted 160 euro just 2 see the bitch we didnt have that money on us so i explained what happend and she said the dog would never run again and it would cost hundreads if they could save the leg.so we done the decent thing and burried her.broke his heart 2 do it he is absoultely gutted.do ye think me made the right call.

RIP GIRL

So on the basis of a phone diagnosis you put the dog down. In my experience vets always give worse case scenario.....but to put a dog down on the basis of a phone conversation was premature imo. Seen many a dog come back from broken legs despite the vet saying otherwise.

was not over a phone diagnosisi pal new meself the dogs leg was no more good it was her front right leg broke at the ball joint and completley twisted her toes were faceing her tail.i just wanted it confirmed by a vet.

thanks for all the kind words lads.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tbh you can debate this all you want...the dog,s gone and no amount of should have,s could have,s will bring it back..the lad made a tough decision out in the field and maybe it was right one...in an

So on the basis of a phone diagnosis you put the dog down. In my experience vets always give worse case scenario.....but to put a dog down on the basis of a phone conversation was premature imo. See

Done the right thing. Could spend lots of time and money all for nothing. Some folk getting pets and working dogs mixed up again.

That is the best vet in the world that diagnosed a dog would never run again over the phone ....... :nono:

and if that's not deliberately trying to provoke an argument I don't know what is!

Deliberately trying to provoke an argument? .....so you honestly think a vet can diagnose over the phone that a dog will never run again ?

I feel for the dog and your mate but i can hand on heart say id never use a vet that said that over the phone ever again and for her not to suggest even that they pts or another vet seems strange to me.Not bitching or provoking an arguement either just my opinion.Seen some bad ones over the years and been amazed by how well dogs can recover not saying this bitch would have just not good a vet not even seeing the dog but happy to condem it to death :rtfm::nono: if my vet did that id never speak to them again nor would i ever use them or tell anyone else to tbh mate.The blue cross also help people on low income in ireland btw for future referance with vets bills they dont pay it all but they will contribute towards it if theres not a local pdsa to help or you dont qaulify for pdsa help some rescues also take dogs in who need fixed and rehome them to pet homes after fixing them up

Done the right thing. Could spend lots of time and money all for nothing. Some folk getting pets and working dogs mixed up again.

• Like 1

I Had a bitch break a back leg,pinned never affected her again.Also had to have good dogs put down that wouldnt work again.But wouldnt trust a normal pet vet to tell me, some dont know there ass from elbow.And certiantly not over the phone.Would find your self a good greyhound vet,you never know when you might need him.

SORRY about your dog mate mi bitch broke nek this year was the shitist night of me life but i still took her to a vet and had her pts proper cost half a months pay

2 weeks pay to put adog down are you working in the third world....?

Edited by weasle

was out last nite with a good pal of mine with his young collie cross bout 15 months old bitch was showing signs of being a gudden anyway first field she ran four caught 3 before we left the field i had 1 more scan an seen a squater i missed. sliped the bitch out she nearly got it out of its seat but she tumbeled and droped it after a hell of a course up and down the ditch the bitch was just geting out of range of the lamp when we heard the scream new straight away she was bad could see her holding her front right leg out could see were it broke at the ball joint and it was just dangling there she was in alot of pain her heart was pounding it didnt look good.rang 11811 2 get the nearist 24 hour vet spoke 2 the vet she wanted 160 euro just 2 see the bitch we didnt have that money on us so i explained what happend and she said the dog would never run again and it would cost hundreads if they could save the leg.so we done the decent thing and burried her.broke his heart 2 do it he is absoultely gutted.do ye think me made the right call.

RIP GIRL

So on the basis of a phone diagnosis you put the dog down. In my experience vets always give worse case scenario.....but to put a dog down on the basis of a phone conversation was premature imo. Seen many a dog come back from broken legs despite the vet saying otherwise.

i started to read this and thought to myself who will be the first person (or how long ) to leave a negative comment .

i think the lads done the right thing

Done the right thing. Could spend lots of time and money all for nothing. Some folk getting pets and working dogs mixed up again

what does that mean ?

That means that some folk think of there dogs as pets and will keep them with 4 broken legs. Others think of there dogs as workers and since its a running dog then potentially theres a high risk of the dog not working again. IMO

I have a dog in my yard with 3 pins in his hok that was supposed to never run again that was 2 1/2 years seasons ago and hes dropped more game than you would believe since ....the point im trying to make is no vet can make that prognosis over the phone

Done the right thing. Could spend lots of time and money all for nothing. Some folk getting pets and working dogs mixed up again

what does that mean ?

That means that some folk think of there dogs as pets and will keep them with 4 broken legs. Others think of there dogs as workers and since its a running dog then potentially theres a high risk of the dog not working again. IMO

Pet or worker they all deserve to be treated properly and given a decent lifestyle ffs.No ones saying he should have got it fixed just that NO VET or a decent one anyways would dream of diagnosing something like that over the phone.Mine live indoors get pampered to a degree compared to some but they still work all this macho pish about working dogs being something differant is way way out of date just because you work your dog doesnt make it any less special to its owner or any less entitled to decent vet care and respect

• Like 1
Guest lurchermania96

Sorry to hear about your dog mate but you did the right thing my bitch snapped her back leg tendon I took her the vets ect and she still to this day isn't write so my mum had her as a house pet hope chin up mate