Beddys and bushing

Hi lads and lass's, and thinking of getting a pup next spring and like to think things out lol, I have a salxgry to bring on this winter mostly lamping but would like to get him going in the daytime 2, was thinking of getting a beddy maybe with a bit of lakey in it, have seen these dog are bringing silly money which i dont mind for a good one! what do you guys and girls think of beddys as busing dogs???

ATB

Jambay

Beddys make good bushing dogs, as they have a good nose on them, and you are doing the right thing wanting a bit of lakey in there,

go on The Working Bedlington Forum nice bunch of Lads who will keep you right, and put you on the right direction, for what you are looking for/ be it a bushing or digging Terrier.

• Like 1

Beddys make good bushing dogs, as they have a good nose on them, and you are doing the right thing wanting a bit of lakey in there,

go on The Working Bedlington Forum nice bunch of Lads who will keep you right, and put you on the right direction, for what you are looking for/ be it a bushing or digging Terrier.

Would the beddyxlakey not be inclined to go to ground,if its only as a bushing dog why not a springer or springerxbeagle or springerxterrier.

I think you mean, my Whippet x beddy, she died a few years ago she was 18 inch to the shoulder, was deadly on rats, rabbits and pheasant, and even took the odd Hare singlehanded, I only bred her once, to a Whippet, I lost contact with the owners bar one, which was a tremendous rabbit Dog Day or night, and would also take reds singlehanded. My bitch was very much like a Beddy, perhaps this was that she was bred Whiipet to Beddy, its usually the other way round, I have a couple of photographs of her, but no scanner, but her photo is in J Glover two books,

I am currently writing an article on Rag and her Pup Snowy for the Working bedlington Year Book, and if its good enough, photos of the two dogs will be included.

A Spaniel would be fine, but with a WhippetX beddy, it gives you more opportunities, as a good one will work cover, but will also take Rabbits day or night. on the run.

If he gets a beddy whippet and it won't work cover he's back to square one but with 3 mouths to feed instead of two though. Personally if I just wanted a bushing dog that probably won't go to ground and isn't likely to fight with your lurcher over the quarry then your better off with a spaniel blooded dog. I can't see the attraction in beddies either with them coats on them you'd spend more time grooming it than working it.

My brotherinlaw has beddies for bushing, they are shit hot at it too. Problem is they put there heads down and go, you just can't stop them and they tend to dissapear into the distance regardless, shouting and swearing doesn't help LOL. His have never been earth dogs, and are a bit clostraphobic to say the least. Edited to say his latest dog is a spaniel.

Edited by Limb