Drunk in charge of a firearm?

On a site/ forum dedicated to driving and safe practices whilst driving, would you ask the question "hi, im new to driving and have just passed my test. I would like some advice. When driving home from work i pass a pub and was wondering if i were to have a few pints then drive home, were i to get pulled could i get arrested and lose my licence for being drunk in charge of a vehicle?......................

of course you wouldnt because the answer would be both blatantly obvious and plain common sense!

It begs the question, how stupid would someone have to be to walk out of a pub with a shotgun in a slip over his shoulder and proceed to walk home with both the shotgun and (im assuming) live cartridges in his pocket whilst being 'half cocked'?!

I waited 6 years before even applying for my certicate because i didnt think i was mature enough at the time.

Its people like you that will soon make owning any type of firearm in this country illegal!

Edited by carpentermark

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The lad, inexperienced, asked the question, got the replies he was probably expecting, and replied positively. Surely thats what the forum is about. Don't need to whip him too hard surely?   Cheer

way i see it a few pints will alter your judgement on things , leave the f*****g thing at home . a few pints in car is bad enough but carrying a f*****g gun !!! ffs i despair of some of the posts on h

A fair question with some responses inevitably a bit OTT in my opinion. Indeed, tbh, some respondants really should wind their necks back in!   If you are proper rat arsed whilst in possession of yo

The lad, inexperienced, asked the question, got the replies he was probably expecting, and replied positively. Surely thats what the forum is about.

Don't need to whip him too hard surely?

Cheers, D.

• Like 4

Sometimes after I've been shooting at some local permition I'll call in the local pub on the walk home, they let me to lock my gun away upstairs while I have a drink then get it again when I leave. As I'm new to shotguns I was just wondering, when walking back from the pub after a few pints ( I don't get slaughtered! ) if the police were to stop me and discover I'd had a drink, could I be arrested for being drunk in charge of a firearm?

Thanks for any replies

Atb ant

My concern would be, firstly; The pub may be safely locking your gun away but it seems as though they may be in unlawful possession of it. Secondly; there is a provision in the Firearms Act which creates an offence of transferring a firearm to a person who is drunk.

I don't think that there is a specific offence of being drunk in possession of a firearm but there may be stuff like being in breach of the security condition on your cert if you were very drunk or being a danger to public safety or something.

Also, there is an offence of being in possession of a firearm and ammunition suitable for use with it in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. That could be used against you as it might be argued that you should have teken the gun home before going to the pub.

J.

Thanks for all the reasonable replys, my question has been answered and the gun goes home first. Those that started to slate me, have you ever indulged in a wee nip from the hip flask on a shoot day? Or if you feel that strongly, ever confronted someone who has and told them they should have there licence revoked? As that seems common practice?

Thanks for all the reasonable replys, my question has been answered and the gun goes home first. Those that started to slate me, have you ever indulged in a wee nip from the hip flask on a shoot day? Or if you feel that strongly, ever confronted someone who has and told them they should have there licence revoked? As that seems common practice?

Thats exactly what i thought about mate when i read your post but to be fair these drinks are on private land. I think you have got your answer on here, i personally dont see anything wrong with it and years ago it was probably common practice for a few folk to stop in at the pub after a day/nights shooting without worrying about the law. But as you know the law is pretty strict nowadays and just for your own benefit i'd take the gun home and keep yourself in the right..... :thumbs:

Just to put a little perspective on this, in our very rural village every day through the shooting season there will be quite a few customers in our "local" having a pint and a pie for lunch with their shotguns propped up at the bar beside them and several muddy dogs in front of the fire. Their numbers will include a police officer, the odd JP and a smattering of farmers, plumbers, the landlord and of course me.

It's all a matter of moderation and being sensible but there is nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1