Drunk in charge of a firearm?

Sometimes after I've been shooting at some local permition I'll call in the local pub on the walk home, they let me to lock my gun away upstairs while I have a drink then get it again when I leave. As I'm new to shotguns I was just wondering, when walking back from the pub after a few pints ( I don't get slaughtered! ) if the police were to stop me and discover I'd had a drink, could I be arrested for being drunk in charge of a firearm?

Thanks for any replies

Atb ant

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The lad, inexperienced, asked the question, got the replies he was probably expecting, and replied positively. Surely thats what the forum is about. Don't need to whip him too hard surely?   Cheer

way i see it a few pints will alter your judgement on things , leave the f*****g thing at home . a few pints in car is bad enough but carrying a f*****g gun !!! ffs i despair of some of the posts on h

A fair question with some responses inevitably a bit OTT in my opinion. Indeed, tbh, some respondants really should wind their necks back in!   If you are proper rat arsed whilst in possession of yo

I dont know where you/they would legally stand. If you were just carrying it they would be more inclined to stop you and ask what your doing etc.. I doubt that they would breathalise you or anything like so providing your not visibly smashed you may get away with it. I think if they found out you had been drinking you would be in a position where it is difficult to defend yourself/your actions.

Overall I wouldnt risk it and would take the gun home first

It depends on how the officer views your actions. The "drunk" part of this offence is the officers opinion. This will be decided by your demeanour, ability to balance, talk without slurring, how strong your breath smells (of drink) and if your eyes are glazed amongst any other characteristics the officer may think is relevant.

As this is a subjective test I would prefer not to risk it. As stated above - just lock it up at home then take a trip to the boozer. It has the added bonus of you being able to drink as much as you want to. :thumbs:

................, they let me to lock my gun away upstairs while I have a drink then get it again when I leave.

I am not sure even this is wise unless it is a gun cabinet with you in charge of the only key. Overall what you are doing pub wise is courting a problem at some stage in the future. If you must have a drink whilst out with the gun - better to put a can in your pocket and detour the pub.

Sometimes after I've been shooting at some local permition I'll call in the local pub on the walk home, they let me to lock my gun away upstairs while I have a drink then get it again when I leave. As I'm new to shotguns I was just wondering, when walking back from the pub after a few pints ( I don't get slaughtered! ) if the police were to stop me and discover I'd had a drink, could I be arrested for being drunk in charge of a firearm?

Thanks for any replies

Atb ant

Can't believe you've posted this :icon_eek: ..shotgun locked away in a pub,owners drinking downstairs....recipe for disaster should you get your collar felt by a savvy copper or someone makes a phone call :whistling:

Unbelievable question and unbelievable actions, sort yourself out mate, having alcohol in charge of any gun, airgun, pea shooter or plastic imitation is foolhardy as are the landlords of your pub.

If you read even just one of the mainstream shooting magazines or any of the latest forum postings on the internet you would have hear about the gamekeeper in Scotland who has just had all his firearms and licence taken off him and he has also been suspended by the estate that employs him after police found him asleep in his own home with his guns not in his gun safe, now the mitigating facts are he got back from work and he was letting the guns get back to room temperature before storing them, to stop rust etc, in the meantime he had a wee dram and got cought napping......Now this was a full time keeper on a large estate and in his own home, How the hell do you think they will treat you with a shotgun in a pub????? If you think this type of thing is OK and you have to ask the opinions of an internet forum then you shouldnt have a licence as you clearly cant distinguish between right and wrong or sensible and stupid,

No appologies for my post pal, you wanted advice after all :)

A fair question with some responses inevitably a bit OTT in my opinion. Indeed, tbh, some respondants really should wind their necks back in!

If you are proper rat arsed whilst in possession of your shotgun, then frankly, yes you are asking for trouble.

However if you are having a swift half on the way home and your gun is locked in the boot of your car, then I don't see a problem.

As you mentioned walking and having it locked in the publicans cupboard, is he an sgc holder? If he is then again, I don't see a problem.

Likewise, if you can see where it is locked away and therefore can supervise if anyone should attempt to move it, again, no problem.

At one of the claygrounds I frequent, they have a bar and guns sit in racks in plain view of their respective owners whilst a couple of jars are consumed. Some of the shooters I know are FEO's and have an entirely practical view on the matter.

All the best and keep it real :victory:

D

• Like 2