Deer with running dogs and sheep problems after?

A long time ago, i use to take deer with lurchers. But from experience, found they also went for sheep after, even though they were stock broken from before they took deer.!

Whats other peoples experiences on this in the passed?

I am sure not all dogs would go for sheep after, just mine did and it was the devils own job to break them off it again!!

I dont hunt deer with dogs these days, just rabbit ect, but back then, took a lot of fallow!!!!!

cheers.

if yer dogs dont know diffrence between a deer an a sheep, they are hardly deer dogs, are they????

They were very steady with sheep, before they started to take deer, would even course a hare and rabbit threw them and not look at them! it was after taking deer, i found, that they went for the sheep! :thumbs:

if yer dogs dont know diffrence between a deer an a sheep, they are hardly deer dogs, are they????

if yer dogs course deer week in week out and on the odd accasion fancies a lamb dinner does this not make them a deer dog? if so then shorely a dog that runs rabbits day in day out and also likes too play shake with a ferret is it not a rabbiting dog? :hmm:

if yer dogs course deer week in week out and on the odd accasion fancies a lamb dinner does this not make them a deer dog? if so then shorely a dog that runs rabbits day in day out and also likes too play shake with a ferret is it not a rabbiting dog? :hmm:

if ye are using a dog to ferret day in an day out an the dog shook yer ferret, i think it wid be safe to say, aye mate its no a ferreting dog lol

yer point is............

Never spoken to folk who have ended up with stock killing dogs after doing deer, but have spoken to folk whose dogs kind of started looking at sheep a wee bit funny afterwards and you had to keep an eye on them. . . . . . i guess just when they started doing deer. And i don't mean the big flocks of slow white ones you get, but the raggedy black mountain sheep, bursting out of cover on their own.

• Like 1

A long time ago, i use to take deer with lurchers. But from experience, found they also went for sheep after, even though they were stock broken from before they took deer.!

Whats other peoples experiences on this in the passed?

I am sure not all dogs would go for sheep after, just mine did and it was the devils own job to break them off it again!!

I dont hunt deer with dogs these days, just rabbit ect, but back then, took a lot of fallow!!!!!

cheers.

What dog did you have back then mate ?

if ye are using a dog to ferret day in an day out an the dog shook yer ferret, i think it wid be safe to say, aye mate its no a ferreting dog lol

yer point is............

i was just asking a question i dont do much rabbiting bores me to be honest, pretty shore my dogs would shake a ferret though, and my point is that just because a dog kills sheep doesnt mean there not a deer dog. if they catch and kill deer then there a deer dog...

yer point is............

i was just asking a question i dont do much rabbiting bores me to be honest, pretty shore my dogs would shake a ferret though, and my point is that just because a dog kills sheep doesnt mean there not a deer dog. if they catch and kill deer then there a deer dog...

No if they catch deer they are a deer dog. If they catch deer and 'fancy a lamb dinner' as you say they are a pat-licker that belongs in a hole.......