rat trapping diary. advice wanted.

Iv got a little matter to take care of this week and i need some HELP, there is an old silage pit that is been taken out in a week or so by track machine and at the minute is home to a lot of rats. For the last 4 days i have 8 cage traps set with absolutly nothing caught using soaked dog nuts as bait, i have caught them before not a problem using the same nuts but as of late they seem to take no notice, now what i intend to do is get 8 reciepies and ill put 1 in each of the traps and see which one works best. ill get pics up tomorrow of the cage's and the area i will be trapping so if you think you have the perfect method ill try it out and will keep it updated daily.

once i get the pics up id like to know if the trap should be covered over to make a tunnel effect?, should i cover the floor of the trap with earth/sand? etc.

they must be lightened off before the machinery move in to stop them re homing in the building's around.

cheers pat....

Getting rats on bait sometimes takes time, as for getting them in cages is another matter.

They may take a little warming to the introduction of new bait let alone entering a cage.

You need to have a look at what the current foodsource is, you can then make your asumptions as to change it.

I deal with the rats on a few dairy farms where the foodsource is abundant, i have tried the all singing all dancing, new fandangled flavoured baits but have found that simple grain is the best.

Whereas i have done a chinese takeaway and they couldnt get enough of the flavoured superbait.

Just keep your cages in situe and keep putting down what you have to lure them in, hopefully they will warm to it.

this is a dairy farm that hasn't been farmed for some years and its all grass no tillage, i keep my dogs on this property and all food is in sealed barrels, so to figure out what they are eating i couldnt even fathem a guess.

Edited by patdahat

ive caught plenty of rats in cage traps by mixing a table spoon of chocolate spread and peanutbutter together in a bowl them spreading this on the piece of bread thats on the end of the loaf so it has crusts on the back then leaving this in a container to go stale and hard then cut it into 1and 1/2 inc squares.

please tell me how you get on