finished mews and start of my diary

saxonmaster

taking off the creance the hardest part imho,on D Day I did two flights with it on then simply slipped it off retrurned her to the post on foot then walked double the distance :icon_eek: put he glove up and she was on it :yes: , amazing how much they speed up unhindered. The only advice i could possibly give is wait until you are 100%, its your hawk and only you really know it now, best of luck on the day you choose to fly ;) diarys a great read :yes:

Edited by arcticgun

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if

Posted Images

taking off the creance the hardest part imho,

Couldn't agree more actic :thumbs:. always leaves my heart pumping the first time the bird is placed loose waiting for the recall. as you know It don't always go to plan! I had a Gyr/Saker which responded instant while on the creance as soon as the the lure was shown, you cold even flick the lure into the air and he would snatch it while on the creance. on went his flying jesses and tag and off came the creance and the first recall was perfect with him coming in and landing on the lure, the second time I twitched the lure away giving him a pass, the lure was then thrown out with a shout but nope he was having none of it and didn't turn once, two or three shouts later and he still hadn't turned and was well on the way.

I picked him up off a Farm roof a while later where he came stright into the lure like nothing had happend :angel:

I'm sure though saxon with your Harris mate it wil run smooth as silk :thumbs:

lol typical scenario Jasper, you spend days working up the courage ot fly them free and they chuck you a curveball. The day I finaly decided to go for it I placed her on creance and as I tied her on it she grabbed for the handle and would she hell let loose of her prize :icon_redface: momentarily I fumbled as what to do as I was that focused on the free flight :huh: luckily as I fumblked about in my bag the swing lure fell out and she switched attention to that, quickly realising there was actually no prize to be had, quickly back on the post and rests history. coupe of flights on creance then cut loose, my heart was in my mouth, but she simply returned to the glove :toast: only time I returned to creance was when I introduced my dog in the field as she was flying again couple of flights on creance then off it came and again she did as trained.

I tend to vary the area I fly her in, stops any complacancy setting on my part and stimulates her more hopefully, just waiting for the leaves to drop now or a juicy slip to crop up whilst out and about :thumbs:in the mean time she getting there fitness wise and appears to truly love jump ups and lure work both ariel and ground, keen as mustard so hopefully it will all pay off once she entered :yes:

lol typical scenario Jasper, you spend days working up the courage ot fly them free and they chuck you a curveball. The day I finaly decided to go for it I placed her on creance and as I tied her on it she grabbed for the handle and would she hell let loose of her prize :icon_redface: momentarily I fumbled as what to do as I was that focused on the free flight :huh: luckily as I fumblked about in my bag the swing lure fell out and she switched attention to that, quickly realising there was actually no prize to be had, quickly back on the post and rests history. coupe of flights on creance then cut loose, my heart was in my mouth, but she simply returned to the glove :toast: only time I returned to creance was when I introduced my dog in the field as she was flying again couple of flights on creance then off it came and again she did as trained.

I tend to vary the area I fly her in, stops any complacancy setting on my part and stimulates her more hopefully, just waiting for the leaves to drop now or a juicy slip to crop up whilst out and about :thumbs:in the mean time she getting there fitness wise and appears to truly love jump ups and lure work both ariel and ground, keen as mustard so hopefully it will all pay off once she entered :yes:

:clapper: :clapper: Makes alot of sense flying her on different ground mate. I'm confident in the past some of the birds knew the areas they had previously made kills on regular flying ground. also handy to get them out and about with different people aswel as groups.

I think we're all a bit guilty of having them on a creance for too long when the bird has already told us its ready to go! I have lost count in the past when I have said "I'll just give it one more go on the creance" when deep down everything is fine. alot of hawks first time out have this habit of performing well on the line creance yet get them elevated in a tree and you find yourself waiting. many times its certainly not a weight issue if we have done our homework! alot of the time just the confidence in the bird which basically hasn't found its wings yet, once they have mastered flying down at different angles and the use of their tail for a rudder things start to fall into place and the recalls get faster....

cheers lads just waiting for the right day with the weather i do feel he is ready now but if the conditions aint right then he will stay on the creance. I took him out this afternoon but he was a bit heavy at 1lb 5 1/2oz and there was a stiff breeze but i wanted just to get him out and he responded well but a few times he made off for the trees from the perch when the wind picked up in his face so i just gently but the breaks on to bring him down softly. The first time i had to get right in front of him to get him back on the glove from the grass but the 2nd time i was about 20m away from him and he had his back to me so i put a whole chick on the fist and called him and he looked over his shoulder and took off with a real tight curving flight and slammed the glove so hard and with real menace it was brilliant. So we left it there and went for a walk about with the dog around some fields :thumbs:

cheers lads just waiting for the right day with the weather i do feel he is ready now but if the conditions aint right then he will stay on the creance. I took him out this afternoon but he was a bit heavy at 1lb 5 1/2oz and there was a stiff breeze but i wanted just to get him out and he responded well but a few times he made off for the trees from the perch when the wind picked up in his face so i just gently but the breaks on to bring him down softly. The first time i had to get right in front of him to get him back on the glove from the grass but the 2nd time i was about 20m away from him and he had his back to me so i put a whole chick on the fist and called him and he looked over his shoulder and took off with a real tight curving flight and slammed the glove so hard and with real menace it was brilliant. So we left it there and went for a walk about with the dog around some fields :thumbs:

D day soon mate weather permiting :thumbs:, you could give him some short rations the day before the big day or perhaps fly him a hour later than normal to make him slightly keener. also Saxon try not to hold him back too long mate as they soon get bored which can induce a bird to start calling, I'm not saying yours will but some people hold them back on the creance for weeks on end..........

D day soon mate weather permiting :thumbs:, you could give him some short rations the day before the big day or perhaps fly him a hour later than normal to make him slightly keener. also Saxon try not to hold him back too long mate as they soon get bored which can induce a bird to start calling, I'm not saying yours will but some people hold them back on the creance for weeks on end..........

alright mate i have been a bit worried about holding him back but if it aint raining its windy so ive been getting out inbetween breaks in the weather. He is ready now and its frustrating waiting for the right day we are going out today if the rain stops and might go for it.

Just got back from flying Thor it was a bit windy but i couldnt put it off any more so i walked till i found a suitable tree but first i put him on a post and just done a quick jump to the fist then took his mews jesses off and left him on the post and walked off and called him and he just looked at his feet then looked at me then back at his feet and came straight to the fist he 100% knew he was free. So then i sent him off to a tree about 15ft up and again came straight back then he flew to the top of the tree which was about 25/30ft and again came straight back to say i felt relieved would be a understatement hahaha. we done about 15 flights to and from the tree then went for a walk and done a few more but the wind was getting stronger and he was getting less keen so i put a whole chick on the glove for him and called him in and called it a day. Well chuffed he is going free now so ill have to get him on the dummy bunny now and then out with the ferrets brilliant morning and cant wait to get back out with him :thumbs:

• Like 1