finished mews and start of my diary

saxonmaster

going up on the hills tomorrow and see if there is anything about i cant get out with the ferrets on my own just incase i have to dig and i dont have anyone to go with untill weekend so will try to get him on something this week and just keep trying and see what happens :thumbs:

i am ab out the week end i think , so i may be able to go out with you ?

Edited by punch&judy

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if

Posted Images

what centre are you going to be doing it at as i spend alot of time (there at the mo) in york and i went to this place http://www.falconrycentre.co.uk/ a few months ago and i got chatting to the owner and after about 30mins of chatting he said it was a bird zoo lol ,as i was having a brew in the office i was listeneing to the woman behind the counter and i was all about money .

WELL WE DID OUR COURSE TODAY, GOTTA SAY THE STAFF THERE WERE VERY GOOD AND TO TOP IT OFF THE GUY THAT WORKS THERE SAID HE LIVES IN RIPON AND I CAN GO OUT WITH HIM AND HIS MATE WHEN THEY TAKE THEIR HH's OUT, TOP DAY! :thumbs:

good stuff did you learn much from it ???

yes mate was quite informative although the real learning will begin when i get the bird! was great to handle all the different birds though, especially enjoyed the hh's, kestrel and eagles (was funny when the kestrel decided to leave my fist just as it landed to feed and chase a pigeon ha ha)

not done much this weekend billy but my joiner mate is back tomorrow so i'll get some more ideas from him and crack on cheers

Edited by shello

going up on the hills tomorrow and see if there is anything about i cant get out with the ferrets on my own just incase i have to dig and i dont have anyone to go with untill weekend so will try to get him on something this week and just keep trying and see what happens :thumbs:

i am ab out the week end i think , so i may be able to go out with you ?

cheers mate i have arranged to go out with emma but your welcome to come to mate. went out today just kicking through the nettles and got 3 chases at some rabbits 1st one he only half chased really but it was a fast rabbit and went up hill the next 2 was very close and the rabbit just made it underground. So we finished on the lure that was placed in a rabbit hole and a bit of cover and i got my son to drag it while i walked by just so he finished on a good note and felt like he caught something.

• 2 weeks later...

went out with Thor today with the ferrets at last after being let down a few times. we only used the one ferret at a time as it was the first time Thor would of seen a ferret in the field and was worried in case Thor nailed one as one was easier to watch out for. At first he wasnt to sure what to make of it but didnt take long to ignore the ferret everytime it popped out from a rabbit hole but i still didnt let him go and kept him on the fist. We bolted the first rabbit quiet quick and Thor went after it but seemed to pull out half way through the chase. The 2nd one was the same again and i did start to get a bit frustrated as ive never seen him do this when we are kicking rabbits out of cover?? The next 2 rabbits broke in cover and he went straight in at full force but just missed them. The last rabbit he gave a good chase for about 40 meters or so but the rabbit just made it to the next burrow and disappeared but was very lucky. So far he has chased pheasants, pigeons, rabbits and mice but still hasnt caught but is keen and always on the look out for something to kill. Im thinkng about trying him on the lamp and see how he gets on. Getting a bit frustrated for him now as i was hoping he would of had his first kill by now but will be out most days untill he does. Also i have free lofted him now which he loves :thumbs:

i hope so mate really got the heart pounding today especially when he went crashing through the cover. also he was soaring brilliantly today up on the hills mate at one point a kite was soaring just above him but either of them didnt seem to mind.

nice one, seen some kites just south of ripon near harrogate earlier this week, there seems to be getting more of them about here

went out with Thor today with the ferrets at last after being let down a few times. we only used the one ferret at a time as it was the first time Thor would of seen a ferret in the field and was worried in case Thor nailed one as one was easier to watch out for. At first he wasnt to sure what to make of it but didnt take long to ignore the ferret everytime it popped out from a rabbit hole but i still didnt let him go and kept him on the fist. We bolted the first rabbit quiet quick and Thor went after it but seemed to pull out half way through the chase. The 2nd one was the same again and i did start to get a bit frustrated as ive never seen him do this when we are kicking rabbits out of cover?? The next 2 rabbits broke in cover and he went straight in at full force but just missed them. The last rabbit he gave a good chase for about 40 meters or so but the rabbit just made it to the next burrow and disappeared but was very lucky. So far he has chased pheasants, pigeons, rabbits and mice but still hasnt caught but is keen and always on the look out for something to kill. Im thinkng about trying him on the lamp and see how he gets on. Getting a bit frustrated for him now as i was hoping he would of had his first kill by now but will be out most days untill he does. Also i have free lofted him now which he loves :thumbs:

He'll get there mate! once he has taken one and his confidence is up there'll be no stopping him :thumbs:. Don't know what its like where you are but its red hot here which makes a difference on the birds keeness, it was 24 degrees here today and 27 on thursday :icon_eek:....

Jasp

He'll get there mate! once he has taken one and his confidence is up there'll be no stopping him :thumbs:. Don't know what its like where you are but its red hot here which makes a difference on the birds keeness, it was 24 degrees here today and 27 on thursday :icon_eek:....

Jasp

ah cheers skin its the same here mate yesterday there was no air and today had some breeze on the hills but really hot mate. The rabbits wasnt bolting brilliant either mate the ferrets worked hard but i think they were getting the run around using only one ferret at a time.

thats a cracking job that pal done a grand job am not a bird owner my self am gaining knowledge before i jump in to the deep end but may i ask why you ant put mesh on the front is this something i should do when building mine atb farmer

Thanks mate :thumbs: to be honest i just think the bars look better and with the netting was worried about cats or other animals climbing up the front now ive free lofted him i put a high perch the whole width of the mews and a smaller perch in front of the bars which stops him going full pelt into the bars which seems to of worked so far. good luck when you get a bird mate and build a mews and thanks for your kind comments :thumbs:

The reason mesh is not liked is the bird can fly to the front and grab the mesh with his/her feet and in doing so the fanned out tail feather's will be poked trough the mesh which will cause untold damage while the bird is walking up and down the mesh..with bar's they is no grip for the bird to hang onto and they sharp get the message trough that it is pointless to try and hang onto the bar's.. :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought i would do a quick update on Thor and some photos of out hunting. Thor has a real liking for pheasents and has smashed a few out of the sky but has not managed to hold on to them on the ground but hopefully that will come with experience and time. He is working well with the ferrets and is nailing rabbits well now after a slow start. Now the bad part he is calling when he can hear or see me in the garden :( which i must admit has really pissed me off :censored: :censored: . It aint constant just goes into one but soon calms down once im out of the garden. He is really quiet when hunting and flying and on the fist and when we get back from hunting for a few hours but will start again if he hears or sees me but if i go out in the garden at night which i do every night i could set a fire work off and he doesnt make a sound :hmm: ???????? Anyway a few good lads from here are giving me ideas to help with this and hopefully it will work. Here is a few photos out hunting :thumbs:

thorandme171011.jpg

thorchasingrabbit.jpg

thor1171011.jpg

Thors2ndrabbit2.jpg

thortoday.jpg

thors2ndrabbit1.jpg