finished mews and start of my diary

saxonmaster

spot on Saxon! he's getting more and more confident around you, you could now try and get him on somthing to prolong his meal to keep him occupied on the fist while you walking him round manning to different things, don't over face him at first! if he shows a dislike to somthing by bateing away then move away and try him when he is settled again from a bigger distance. you want to reinforce that bird into thinking the fist is pride of place above everything else, making the fist a happy place IE: with food helps to acheive this....

Jasp

Cheers mate just replied to your email before i read this so i wont bore you with writing the same thing hahaha but plan to do as you say tomorrow mate and will try not to over do it with him dont want to knock his confidence and take a step backwards thanks again mate :thumbs:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if

Posted Images

Good stuff, can't wait until the next chapter :thumbs:

cheers mate

if hes feeding off the fist now start boxing him an take him to the field to feed now mate keep feeding him near the mews garden will create a screamer good luck with him my male hunts at 1 5 3/4

cheers mate

if hes feeding off the fist now start boxing him an take him to the field to feed now mate keep feeding him near the mews garden will create a screamer good luck with him my male hunts at 1 5 3/4

cheers mate im going to start manning him out of the garden tomorrow mate start off in the house and out the front and if all goes well then ill be going further a field. How old is your male mate? i know a male harris from the same parents as mine is flying at 1lb 7oz she flies him all year for a pest control company.

cheers mate

cheers mate im going to start manning him out of the garden tomorrow mate start off in the house and out the front and if all goes well then ill be going further a field. How old is your male mate? i know a male harris from the same parents as mine is flying at 1lb 7oz she flies him all year for a pest control company.

hes 2 mate this is my third season mate mine will still fly at 1 7 but wont entertain bunnys at that weight get him to 16 bit under he loves them if i was you mann him in the house but feed him in the field mate if you dont want a screamer i made the mistake first season mate lucky it was end of season when he started had to rebuild my mews just roof open left him through the moult and he was silent from then on good luck with him wait till you let him off the creance for the first time bestfeeling ever

' timestamp='1313018669' post='2188025']

Great job, I am going to have a go to copy it as best as I can.

thanks mate do you want a rough drawing mate to work from or if you want some close up photos of any part let me know and ill bang some photos up mate :thumbs:

cheers mate

hes 2 mate this is my third season mate mine will still fly at 1 7 but wont entertain bunnys at that weight get him to 16 bit under he loves them if i was you mann him in the house but feed him in the field mate if you dont want a screamer i made the mistake first season mate lucky it was end of season when he started had to rebuild my mews just roof open left him through the moult and he was silent from then on good luck with him wait till you let him off the creance for the first time bestfeeling ever

yeah i cant wait to get him free ill be proper s**tting myself when i first release him mate but thats all part of the buzz. I bet you were gutted when he started screaming mate but glad you got him sorted in the end

Yesterday Thor weighted in at 1lb 6 1/4oz and seemed not so settled as previous days and was bateing a lot but i did get him to step onto the glove in the end. After weighing i took him through the house using a rabbit leg and then took him to the car and boxed him up which he went in with only a bit of a fuss and took him to a quite field with a fold up chair. We sat down for a while with the rabbit leg but he wasnt interested so we went for a walk through the field but with the stiff breeze and all the new surroundings he kept baiting and found it hard to stay on the fist. Once we made it back to the chair i offered him a chick and after a bit of persuation he had 2 chicks he did start on the 3rd but then decided he didnt want it. Once we got back to the house i bowed him up in the garden and gave him a shower with the hose.

thor15-1.jpg

Today Thor weighed the same as yesterday but a lot calmer and we done a few step ups with a whistle before leaving the mews and sat in the garden with a rabbit leg. After about 30 mins i got the mrs to put an old sheet over the sofa and went in to watch tv with Thor. He seemed a little nervous but settled very quickly and is getting used to my right hand moving but still watches it, well like a hawk hahaha. The next thing i knew i woke up to Thor standing on one foot, a lap full of sh*t and him looking at me and im sure he was thinking you lazy bas*ard hahaha. He had a couple of goes at the rabbit leg but i dont think he could work out why it wasnt breaking apart like the chicks do. After about 3 or so hours i put him back in the mews and he went through the doors in the house no problem with his wings folded back and no fuss what so ever. should start seeing his weight come down now.

just got Thor out of his mews and he bated off his perch so i waited for him to jump back on his perch and then he stepped onto the fist. Took him to the scales and he weighed 1lb 5 5/8oz. I put a chick on the fist and for the first time he responded stright away and took a bite so i put him stright back on the bow in the garden which he did bate away so i put him back on and showed him the chick which he stepped back onto the fist and again had a small bite. So i put him back again but had the fist slightly higher but everytime he went to take a bite i twisted my had away from him but kept it at the same distance and at first he just kept trying to reach but not stepping forward at first but i kept going and giving him a whistle which seem to help as i have been doing that in the mews when i pick him up. Anyway i got him to jump to the fist in the end after a step up about 7 times so i left it there for now to finish on a high and i didnt want him to have to much food straight away so i can do more throughout the day. Well happy with that result so far today as i didnt expect it so soon after only one day without food.

2nd session of the day we carried on as this morning and started with the step ups and by the end Thor was jumping about 8ins to the fist. Went inside for some manning and watched the football. So much better on the fist now and almost a different bird.

sorry about the photo quality

thor1foot4.jpg

thor1foot2.jpg

Thor is going from strengh to strengh at the moment he weighed 1lb 6 1/8oz today responding straight away to food and had him jumping the full length of his leash this morning and afternoon from a mobile perch i made from a light weight plastic saw horse and just cabled tied some astro to. After training i boxed him up and took him for a walk round some permission with the dog other than when the breeze picked up in his face he didnt bate once and we stopped off for a rest and done some jumps from a fence post and let him stand and watch the dog which really doesnt bother him at all.

Sorry about photo quality

thoronwalk4.jpg

thoronwalk1.jpg

thoronwalk3.jpg