finished mews and start of my diary

saxonmaster

post2.jpg

post4.jpg

id be doing the ground work now on hooding ,not expencive for a good hood mate

regarding a raptor post u can make one for next to nothing with some gas drain pipe they lay in the street,u be amazed at how little they bait and also no damage to the tail ect and alsi there at a good high for when u pick them up and ur not towering above them,here is a example mate.the top pic with the bullets is just to show and example and id never use them to tether a bird ,i put a tiny carabina there and attach the birds swivel to it

that looks a good job that mate and to be honest something like that will help me big time because my back is knackered and save me bending so far to him :thumbs:

i suffed with degeneration of the spine mate so know all about back pain as im on 24pills aday plus anasteic patches on me all the time to try help

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if

Posted Images

post2.jpg

post4.jpg

id be doing the ground work now on hooding ,not expencive for a good hood mate

regarding a raptor post u can make one for next to nothing with some gas drain pipe they lay in the street,u be amazed at how little they bait and also no damage to the tail ect and alsi there at a good high for when u pick them up and ur not towering above them,here is a example mate.the top pic with the bullets is just to show and example and id never use them to tether a bird ,i put a tiny carabina there and attach the birds swivel to it

Are you saying you would put a freshly Hooded bird on one of them things? I tell you now mate if I stuck one opf my birds fresh out of the aviary Hooded on one of these it would be dead pronto! I'm still yet trying to work out what you're gaining sticking a shortwing with one of these posts, ok you can give me the bit the added height is better than towering over them but what happend to the old "slow and low" cliche.

Manned all mine on bows useing a Hood from day one basically because I don't know any different, good use of a Hood during the manning period certainly is nothing but benificial to a bird when its bowed, if the time has been put into quality manning you should never have a problem with a bird on a bow what so ever.

People have been taking up Haggard passge and eyeas hawks for many many years useing nothing but bow perches, for some reason these fooking great posts now seem the latest excuse for good ground work and manning of a P/R hawk....

never put a hooded bird on a post at all a hooded bird on a bow and im a beleiver of not hardly touching a bird for the first few weeks and not having the bird on the glove alot and st there for hours on end like alot tend to do these days ,i post are good to stop a bird baiting like my shelf perchs for the falcons as they sit a waist hight and have no issues what so ever.

never put a hooded bird on a post at all a hooded bird on a bow and im a beleiver of not hardly touching a bird for the first few weeks and not having the bird on the glove alot and st there for hours on end like alot tend to do these days ,i post are good to stop a bird baiting like my shelf perchs for the falcons as they sit a waist hight and have no issues what so ever.

I wasn't being funny about it mate just a simple question as to why they are needed when a perfectly good job can be made on a bow :thumbs: I know this much when I take a bird up out of the aviary and fits its equipment Hooded you won't get it to stand on the bow unless you're very lucky, as you probably know most play dead and lay or stand by the bow propped up by their wings, what I was sayng is sticking a bird like this on a Post would be pretty fool hardy for anyone, I'm still also old school and beleive any shortwing should be perches and not blocked on a post. you don't see many wild Goshawks sitting about on posts.

I agree that a bird when first taken up should be left alone to settle when first Hooded, I do also beleive that once the bird has calmed down with the hood and will stand on the fist its good practice to give it some Carriage, ok they might not be able to see anything but they get used to balance and sounds which all help with the true manning when the bird finally start to feed off the fist.

I think good manning will in the end produce a good steady bird, there's no subsitute for good quality manning useing tirings and if needed washed meat, if a bird is manned to all situation a bow or traditional bow or block should never be a problem, when a bird is conditioned in such a way nothing should faze it.

Jasp

good productive manning is a big plus in my eyes as u see and her it all the time ,i beleive a good tiring used on the glove so the bird is not just sat there but is doing somthing productive on the glove as in working on the tiring ,this way the bird is getting a really good positive reaction to what its doing on the glove.

i totally agree with you regading good the birds as i do with all my birds but i was a hood maker :) so it does help .

it amazes me how few people dont hood there birds and dont know the benifits for doing it in the first place

mate im not being funny but everytime i write something on here you seem to be taking over my diary i dont mind advice i expect it on here but your coming across as a bit of a know it all and your hijacking my diary to. you might want to think about starting your own post mate.

sorry for trying to help you out ill leave u to it

good productive manning is a big plus in my eyes as u see and her it all the time ,i beleive a good tiring used on the glove so the bird is not just sat there but is doing somthing productive on the glove as in working on the tiring ,this way the bird is getting a really good positive reaction to what its doing on the glove.

i totally agree with you regading good the birds as i do with all my birds but i was a hood maker :) so it does help .

it amazes me how few people dont hood there birds and dont know the benifits for doing it in the first place

I think we should start another thread on Hoods! trust me I'm a huge advocate of Hoods and don't basically know any other way when taking up any bird unless it was a Impring spar in the past, I struggle to get hood I like these days, I favoured the old Mollen type and favour the Dutch type for Gos's as apposed to the anglo! the worst thing a Gos can do is remove its hood expecially when being made to the Hood and I find the anglo is a pain in the arse for this. the Dutch fits the bill perfect and halds onto the back of the nape perfect before the braces are pulled.

I'm sure you know what I'm taling about being a Hood maker, start a thread on Hoods as you have my full attention :thumbs:

Jasp

PS. I am sorry saxon if I have messed up your diary mate, I'll remove these posts and put them on another thread! My apoligies :thumbs:

I think we should start another thread on Hoods! trust me I'm a huge advocate of Hoods and don't basically know any other way when taking up any bird unless it was a Impring spar in the past, I struggle to get hood I like these days, I favoured the old Mollen type and favour the Dutch type for Gos's as apposed to the anglo! the worst thing a Gos can do is remove its hood expecially when being made to the Hood and I find the anglo is a pain in the arse for this. the Dutch fits the bill perfect and halds onto the back of the nape perfect before the braces are pulled.

I'm sure you know what I'm taling about being a Hood maker, start a thread on Hoods as you have my full attention :thumbs:

Jasp

PS. I am sorry saxon if I have messed up your diary mate, I'll remove these posts and put them on another thread! My apoligies :thumbs:

wasnt you mate ill pm you with any updates as he fed today like you said just after the sun started to go down he had 2 chicks spot on

Definitely don't give up your diary Saxon i can tell you are keen by the amount of work you have put into your mew's and i'm sure you will do that bird great justice.. :victory: ..i started i diary type thread years ago with a bird i have.. and it got hijacked good style by clueless know it all's..if you want any content removing from your diary to clear it up to your liking..PM me what you want taking out or let Jasper know i'm sure he will clear it up for you. :thumbs: .

Just keep plugging away mate and i think you know who you should listen too if you need any help or advice.

Cheer's

Millet

ok thanks lads :thumbs:

yesterday Thor weighed in at 1lb 5 3/8oz fed and sat nicely on the fist and scales but wouldnt fed so sat with him for a while and then put him back on the bow to sit in the sun. went back for the 3rd session of the day on sat down just as the sun started to go down and Thor plunked up the confidence and fed on 2 chicks. So i let him sit for a little longer on the fist and then put him back into his mew on the bow and sat with him and we had a chat about the following day and how well he had done hahaha.

today i went into the mews and Thor didnt bate i got down nice and low put my fist towards him and as it got right infront of him he jumped onto my fist couldnt believe it and not a sound out of him. So took him to the scales and weighed in at 1lb 5 7/8oz again sitting nicely. Took him in the garden like normal and thought i cant see him feeding again today but he surprised me again and once we got settled in the garden chair he went straight down and fed again which i didnt think he would as he had eaten late in the day yesterday. He only wanted the 2 chicks again so done the usual with him but let the kids and the wife in the garden to see him which didnt bother him. done a few more sessions with him throughout the day and then sat with him in the mews for a quick chat and left him for the night. I think tomorrow after weighing and hopefully feeding ill take him into the house to sit with me and spend a lot more time with him, fingers crossed things will keep moving smoothly along.

spot on Saxon! he's getting more and more confident around you, you could now try and get him on somthing to prolong his meal to keep him occupied on the fist while you walking him round manning to different things, don't over face him at first! if he shows a dislike to somthing by bateing away then move away and try him when he is settled again from a bigger distance. you want to reinforce that bird into thinking the fist is pride of place above everything else, making the fist a happy place IE: with food helps to acheive this....

Jasp