finished mews and start of my diary

saxonmaster

thats some nice photos jasper i think one day i would like to get a falcon if all goes well with my harris

nice one saxon! it was a few young birds from this year as chicks to just beyond the branching stage, got to say we get more enjoyment doing the falcons than the Goshawks these days, slowly moving away from the Goshawks due to the amount now being produced and sticking to the falcons.

Its the same reason I left the old pair of Harris's for the last few years to just run off the one clutch, there far to much production exceeding demand in some species...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if

Posted Images

Big up to the breeder saxonmaster, the bird is in lovely fettle.

the fun begins now mate with the manning and trainning, its all good as the bird moves through its different stages and you can tick off each stage from the time it first fed off the fist to jumping to the fist and so on. when you get him loose and take your first head of quarry you'll be one happy chappy mate :thumbs:

Jasp

Big up to the breeder saxonmaster, the bird is in lovely fettle.

the fun begins now mate with the manning and trainning, its all good as the bird moves through its different stages and you can tick off each stage from the time it first fed off the fist to jumping to the fist and so on. when you get him loose and take your first head of quarry you'll be one happy chappy mate :thumbs:

Jasp

Started the manning of Thor this morning which went very well. Put him on the scales which he stood lovely and weighed 1lb 7 1/2oz and then took him into the garden for about 45 mins and let him see the ferrets in the ferret court and the dog walking about which didnt seem to bother him to much. He bated a few times while walking about but put himself back up onto the fist straight away. Then we sat down on a garden chair with a chick on the fist and just sat quitely before i put him back on the bow perch in the garden to settle and take in the new sights. All in all the first day went very well and ill do a bit more manning later today.

thor14.jpg

thor13.jpg

just a few more photos from today (sorry im a bit camara happy at the moment) hahaha

thor18.jpg

thor19.jpg

thor20.jpg

thor24.jpg

thor25.jpg

thor26.jpg

hi mate just a pointer your jessies are in the wrong way they go in from the outside in

You have done a cracking job on that mews and the bird look's a belter too in good condition..the tireing's ive used in the past have been pigeon wing's and rabbit spines as it takes the bird ages to pick through all the bones for meat..and if you do use bigger bit's of meat...soak it in water for a few hour's to wash all the blood out of it that way the bird can eat more without putting too much weight on..if he is hateing your hand he maybe thinking you are going to snatch food from him...what i do is have half of a skinned and washed and gutted chick ready to slide up under the glove ready for a trade of when you are removing any left over bones from the glove..that way he will be left on the glove thinking he has finnished his food himself and he wont think you are going to steal his meal..also while he is eating contently slowly put your hand near the food area and slowly move the food about when he is eating and as soon as he feel's uncomfortable stop what you are doing..but leave your hand there till he continues to eat..this type of method has worked good for me and im sure it will work for you if you are patient..

On the astro turf subject i would do my full mew's and weathering with it if i had cash..one year when i was manning a scatter brained constantly bating bird it took the tip of all of it's talons on pea gravel..and as a result of that he missed a lot of quary as he could not keep hold of it...

Good luck whatever you choose to do.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

You have done a cracking job on that mews and the bird look's a belter too in good condition..the tireing's ive used in the past have been pigeon wing's and rabbit spines as it takes the bird ages to pick through all the bones for meat..and if you do use bigger bit's of meat...soak it in water for a few hour's to wash all the blood out of it that way the bird can eat more without putting too much weight on..if he is hateing your hand he maybe thinking you are going to snatch food from him...what i do is have half of a skinned and washed and gutted chick ready to slide up under the glove ready for a trade of when you are removing any left over bones from the glove..that way he will be left on the glove thinking he has finnished his food himself and he wont think you are going to steal his meal..also while he is eating contently slowly put your hand near the food area and slowly move the food about when he is eating and as soon as he feel's uncomfortable stop what you are doing..but leave your hand there till he continues to eat..this type of method has worked good for me and im sure it will work for you if you are patient..

On the astro turf subject i would do my full mew's and weathering with it if i had cash..one year when i was manning a scatter brained constantly bating bird it took the tip of all of it's talons on pea gravel..and as a result of that he missed a lot of quary as he could not keep hold of it...

do you not think a screen perch or post would of helped u out cos of the baiting issue as this prevents it no ends.im a big fan of just letting the bird settle in over a few weeks before going much manning and found it to be alot better than picking hte bird up from day one alot.also hooding every bird ,this is such a plus when dealing with weighing ,transit,working on furnature ect so many plus's

do you not think a screen perch or post would of helped u out cos of the baiting issue as this prevents it no ends.im a big fan of just letting the bird settle in over a few weeks before going much manning and found it to be alot better than picking hte bird up from day one alot.also hooding every bird ,this is such a plus when dealing with weighing ,transit,working on furnature ect so many plus's

:thumbs:

post2.jpg

post4.jpg

id be doing the ground work now on hooding ,not expencive for a good hood mate

regarding a raptor post u can make one for next to nothing with some gas drain pipe they lay in the street,u be amazed at how little they bait and also no damage to the tail ect and alsi there at a good high for when u pick them up and ur not towering above them,here is a example mate.the top pic with the bullets is just to show and example and id never use them to tether a bird ,i put a tiny carabina there and attach the birds swivel to it

Edited by grovsey

post2.jpg

post4.jpg

id be doing the ground work now on hooding ,not expencive for a good hood mate

regarding a raptor post u can make one for next to nothing with some gas drain pipe they lay in the street,u be amazed at how little they bait and also no damage to the tail ect and alsi there at a good high for when u pick them up and ur not towering above them,here is a example mate.the top pic with the bullets is just to show and example and id never use them to tether a bird ,i put a tiny carabina there and attach the birds swivel to it

you want to be using washed meat mate,as ur washing all the goodness out the food this way and ideal for when manning and weight reduction/control.well done also

make sure u de yoke the chicks also if your not now

Edited by grovsey