quick shine last night with the pup at 5months

ive started dogs off at 6 month old when i was a kid it werent a good idea looking back at it and the dog actually threw the towl in but i supposed if the dogs doing it the dogs doing it mate fairplay the dog looks in tip top condition and does look pretty strong :thumbs:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope it works out for you but experience tells me otherwise,my first lurcher many years ago now was literally ran to death,she was entered as soon as she would catch,caught plenty and nothing seemed

Good going pal but me personally wouldnt run a 5 month old pup youl end up spoil in it in the long run.

lamping that pup at 5 months you have to be joking mate.. he soft boned and not strong enough... you have him ruined and yapping by 9 months old.. is he your first lurcher..

Little and regular is the type of exercise I give my pups: out ferreting at around 5 months, just for a couple of hours at a time; most of my pups, if they have been born at the right time of year, get to pick up myxie rabbits during their first summer, BUT it all depends on the dog: I've really held back the Airedale lurchers as the black one is totally wired: right from an early age she was hunting like a demon terrier. She sprained her wrist just tearing about at around 5 months of age. A good thing really as it made me take things very slowly indeed: walking on lead, not too much galloping about: steady training. She's fine now, but had I let her do what she would have probably been a write off at 12 months old.

Her sister, the red bitch, has been pretty much allowed to do what she wants: she's very steady, thoughtful, creeps through hedges to scan fields, and is much less Airedale in temperament. She hunts like the Saluki type lurcher, stalking, hugging the hedgerows, looking, listening, figuring it all out nice and steadily, and she is the one that has caught a few rabbits, whereas her wired sister has only managed a couple with myxie.

I haven't lamped either of them yet : ground's like rock round here, but I might be having a look out very soon as we've had a fair bit of rain. These pups are now 12 months old, and I guess I have been very careful with them BECAUSE, like wirralcountryman, I have done too much with young dogs in the past and paid the price: not so severe as his dog, but damaged joints, muscles and feet.

Every dog is different, and the only thing I would say is that it doesn't do to go on about very young dogs and pups doing well, as newcomers to the lurcher world tend to think that this is fine for all pups, when it really ain't! And of course, it depends a lot on your ground: a 5 month old pup would have real difficulty in even getting near our rabbits, even at this time of year: grass like a bowling green on the commons where the cattle have cropped it right down, and the shooters out night after night on the rabbits on stubble: by the time I'm allowed on the fields everything is lamp shy as hell!

• Like 1

lamping that pup at 5 months you have to be joking mate.. he soft boned and not strong enough... you have him ruined and yapping by 9 months old.. is he your first lurcher..

ruin a good dog starting it at that age

If we all started at the same time and did exactly the same things there wouldn't be anything too discuss and it would be a pretty boring forum!! Bringing on running dogs is a funny old game!! No two dogs are the same so one way may not work for the other!! Listen,watch,make mistakes,learn from them and build on it, if you get it spot on everytime then well done you!! Me personally I started my colliexgrey early still doing the business albeit a little injury riddled! And my deer x grey I've started later! I watch how each individul is progressing and if I think there ready I try them! If it turns out there not leave it a while and try again!! Works for me and the dogs so happy days!! Good luck to each and everyone of you on here with pups treat them right and they will come good!!

• Like 1

to each their own but the saying 'a year up and a year out' is not too far away imo. my own pup is screaming to do more but at 6mth old she's still a babe, loads of excersise, plenty of play, as much good food as she'll eat and get her obedience spot on and she'll maybe be ready for a 1st. wee ferreting trip maybe oct / nov and even at that she'll be watching more than anything and by the time next year comes round she'll be well grown, fit and strong with a bit of experience, raring to go

Guest FTBBTH

there ferreted rabbits if i ever saw one i can see the lines on the shoulders where theyve hit the net nice try pal :thumbs:

well you need to go to spec savers my old pal, those rabbits look normal to me i dunno about lines on the shoulders, and every rabbit ive ferreted and its hit the net usually they look no different to the ones which have been caught in the open or bolted to the lurcher.

the dog looks big enough and strong enough to do a day a week to me, its not exactly hard work lamping once a week only for rabbits, and im guessing it was pretty flat land, maybe i could understand some of you lads arguments if the dog had ran the rabbits over cow/bull fields rough ground etc, but its been raining the past couple of days, so the ground will of been soft, good for the pup to run.

smart looking dog, atb for the next season! :thumbs:

as its already been mentioned every dog is different..

mine have a few cheeky runs on the lamp (ground and weather permitting) at around 8-9 month old. picking runs in the dogs favour. early sucess s vital in a lamping dog! (i wouldnt work if i didnt get paid!!!)

its his dog, fair play. if he thinks its ready carry on pal.

Hes knows the dog best!!

ive got a loopy Collie/grey pup (9 month) whos has had a handful of bunnies. needs to mature alot first before any serious work is due.

but all the rabbits i run her on are as easy as possible!

Nice one buster !

Each to their own i say..

Have you seen the size of its Feet...he,s only 5 months old..but he,s big and strong and solid.. Trigger is not working his pup...He is training him to do a job,He would,nt do anything to ruin that dog because he knows what he is doing... The dog will get a head start on many other pups who are left in the kennel and given no education until they're too old..

If the dog was a little whippit X it would'nt be strong enough for a night out at this age...but just look at him.

What works for one dog might not always be the same for all types.

some proper cocks on this site.........

can 1 a the cock brigade, please tell me the diffrence between a 4/5 month old pup chasing a bunny, an the same pup chasing its littermate? dog? teddy?? or anything else likely to attract the attention of a 4/5 month old sight hound x pup??????????

i have a bitch here, 18 months old, was started same age as the op's dog, anybody wanna run there older entered dogs against her????

Nice one buster !

Have you seen the size of its Feet...he,s only 5 months old..but he,s big and strong and solid.. Trigger is not working his pup...He is training him to do a job,He would,nt do anything to ruin that dog because he knows what he is doing... The dog will get a head start on many other pups who are left in the kennel and given no education until they're too old..

If the dog was a little whippit X it would'nt be strong enough for a night out at this age...but just look at him.

Therein lies the point: Trigger may well know what he is doing, and just how much he can give this pup, but there's others out there who are just starting out and haven't a clue what a mature or an immature pup looks like. In an ideal world, each newcomer to lurchers would be mentored by someone who has a lot of experience and does know what they are doing: so they could help youngsters just starting out to avoid some of the mistakes that they made when they first started.

Nice one buster !

Therein lies the point: Trigger may well know what he is doing, and just how much he can give this pup, but there's others out there who are just starting out and haven't a clue what a mature or an immature pup looks like. In an ideal world, each newcomer to lurchers would be mentored by someone who has a lot of experience and does know what they are doing: so they could help youngsters just starting out to avoid some of the mistakes that they made when they first started.

im sorry skycat but aint you awready said you ruined a young dog due to overdoing it?????

well why should you be able to do it, an no one else, i agree in a perfect world it would never happen, but i have done it, an i still enter mine young, just not so keenly on my part lol

but what im saying is a mistake made yerself, is often the one most often remebered ;)

Trigger knows whats going on with his dogs..he knows whats best for his dog.. I would'nt recommend this to a Someone with their 1st dog.

Its all about making sure they have all the confidence to grow into a mature dog at a young age..Its also an easy way of ruining a good dog if you don't get it right.

A few bad nights and hard runs with no results can spoil the young dogs ego..but if done correct and easy rabbits are presented and gradually made slightly more difficult the dog will go from strength to strength..once the dog knows his job and is fully confident Trigger will be able to ease off a little and let the pup grow and mature, But 1st he,s got to learn the ropes.