quick shine last night with the pup at 5months

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope it works out for you but experience tells me otherwise,my first lurcher many years ago now was literally ran to death,she was entered as soon as she would catch,caught plenty and nothing seemed

Good going pal but me personally wouldnt run a 5 month old pup youl end up spoil in it in the long run.

lamping that pup at 5 months you have to be joking mate.. he soft boned and not strong enough... you have him ruined and yapping by 9 months old.. is he your first lurcher..

have you always entered ye dogs young???? how many have ye enetered young???

an was it your own idea to enter dogs young or was it something ye were shown off somebody??

if it was your own idea, could ye explain why ye feel the need to enter young :thumbs:

this is the second dog i have entered from a pup myself but its the 3rd dog i have owned that has been entered this way. i thought it was a crazy idea when showed the method but it seems to work well and i will always train my dogs the same way. :thumbs:

an was it your own idea to enter dogs young or was it something ye were shown off somebody??

if it was your own idea, could ye explain why ye feel the need to enter young :thumbs:

this is the second dog i have entered from a pup myself but its the 3rd dog i have owned that has been entered this way. i thought it was a crazy idea when showed the method but it seems to work well and i will always train my dogs the same way. :thumbs:

Trigger have you still got the other dogs your talking about?. Not knocking your methods as you say they work but putting that sort of strain on a 5 month old pup surley would have some long term affects on the dog?.

Trigger have you still got the other dogs your talking about?. Not knocking your methods as you say they work but putting that sort of strain on a 5 month old pup surley would have some long term affects on the dog?.

i have one of the dogs hes still works he will be 7 in september the other has been dead for 14 years or so she died from old age. the dog i have now is starting to steady down a bit so i have got the pup to bring on ready to semi retire the 7 year old. :thumbs:

Edited by trigger2

That's certainly a well grown pup, and in lovely nick too. I guess it depends a lot on what type of dog: I've had pups of that age who haven't even started to muscle up on the hind legs like yours has. What's the breeding? I must admit my little merle lurcher was catching the odd rabbit at 5-6 months out ferreting, but they were bolted rabbits, not running for home, and she matured very early indeed.

That's certainly a well grown pup, and in lovely nick too. I guess it depends a lot on what type of dog: I've had pups of that age who haven't even started to muscle up on the hind legs like yours has. What's the breeding? I must admit my little merle lurcher was catching the odd rabbit at 5-6 months out ferreting, but they were bolted rabbits, not running for home, and she matured very early indeed.

thank you skycat.

he is a malamute/greyhound X lurcher. taken them out young does seem to give you a mature dog early on a old head on young shoulders is what i like to aim for.

I hope it works out for you but experience tells me otherwise,my first lurcher many years ago now was literally ran to death,she was entered as soon as she would catch,caught plenty and nothing seemed beyond her,as I was young I had all day and all night to get her out,she would catch hare's by day on our walks and then I would lamp her half the night,she was catching hare's regular by 10months of age,took to foxes late at about 18month before she could hold them single handed and I must say she never let me down even in the company of expensive hare dogs,but at the age of three and a half years she developed a slight cough and began to lose weight,that was to be the beginning of the end for her,her heart was massively enlarged and her lungs were near chalk when they opened her up to see what was the matter,to say I was gutted is an understatement,since then all my lurcher's come bushing with me with the terrier's and catch a few bunnies,etc from an early age but I don't give them any serious work untill they are mature enough inside to not do any damage,I suppose the odd run here and there may not do much damage but heavy running will definitely shorten the running life of any lurcher,buy a reputable book on greyhounds as this should be a running dogs bible really,most lurcher's are made up of around 75% greyhound,the fast ones certainly are and so it makes sense to follow over a hundred years of experience of the owner's of the dogs that give our dogs their speed,I am not trying to sway you in any way trigger as you sound like you've been at it a while but that way of entering will not work for every cross of lurcher,"you wouldn't send a kid to do a mans job" or would you ?? yis,wirralman

• Like 3

mine nearly 15 months now and only just getting let on game, i always start mine at this age, they stopped growing and are physically strong and mentally strong , good luck with the pup , good looker too , but if it were mine now it'd be left to grow and mature.

it's a hard life being a running dog , dont cut short it's life by being stupid -------den

• Like 1