undershot jaw

over shot or under shot,if its not bothering the dog you shouldn't let it bother you

your wright mate :thumbs:

My mates bitch has a very overshot bottom jaw,but it does not stop her working,very good bitch.She recently had a litter of pups,6weeks old now and all mouths perfect.

6 weeks still got milk teeth sometimes defects dont show till proper teeth come through but its not a problem to me good workers have never got bad mouths so dont let it worry you pal

It dont worry me,not my bitch,lol and even if she were mine it would not bother me,im only into workers,not lookers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

an under shot jaw while not being desireable is not a serious fault IMO. there are far worse traits being carried by terrier strains such as spewing. i think breeding for apperance has messed up alot

I think by using an outcross,eventually the problem gets less and less,different if you kept breedind from your own stock,as for vets they only tell you what you want to hear and take your cash for te

I would have no problem breeding out of an undershot dog or bitch,if they were good enough . An undershot dog can still work as well as one with a good mouth

Posted Images

Bad mouths can be bred out of a line if you were really that bothered but it would result in a lot of litter wastage.If you had a real good line of workers that had mouths so bad it was starting to cause probs then it would be worth it but otherwise not. Both parents have to carry the recessive gene for it to show in the pups.So to breed it out you would breed 1 parent to a dog that is a known carrier,if the pups all appear clear then the parent is not a carrier although the pups would be.Do the same with dogs and bitches till you find which ones are'nt

carriers then you have breeding stock that is clear of the fault.Of course sods law would mean that all your best workers were carriers

:doh: