undershot jaw

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

an under shot jaw while not being desireable is not a serious fault IMO. there are far worse traits being carried by terrier strains such as spewing. i think breeding for apperance has messed up alot

I think by using an outcross,eventually the problem gets less and less,different if you kept breedind from your own stock,as for vets they only tell you what you want to hear and take your cash for te

I would have no problem breeding out of an undershot dog or bitch,if they were good enough . An undershot dog can still work as well as one with a good mouth

Posted Images

Guest hunterside

could someone show pics of over and undershot i think huntersides dog is overshot

its under shot and its not my dog i have a dog here wich is slightly over shot only because it had retained juvernile incisors by which i mean he lost all his pup teeth and kept his baby incisors and his adult incisors grew in front he finaly lost them by chewing bones.

could someone show pics of over and undershot i think huntersides dog is overshot

its under shot and its not my dog i have a dog here wich is slightly over shot only because it had retained juvernile incisors by which i mean he lost all his pup teeth and kept his baby incisors and his adult incisors grew in front he finaly lost them by chewing bones.

:thumbs:

Edited by lazycunt

A undershot jaw(if not severe) is not a problem at all. A undershot jaw is mostly caused by a strong underjaw. In showdogs breeding generation after generation only for scissor bites they get another problem. They select out all dogs with a undershot jaw or parents who gave undershot pups. This results in a big increase of inverted canines. This means that the big underteeth point inwards into the palate. This is caused mostly by a narrow underjaw.

If you use your (good)worker with a undershot jaw well and don't overdo doubling up those traits, there is no problem at all. Some in Pitdogs even prefer a slightly undershot jaw because it is seen as a stronger bite than a scissor.

With a (severe) overshot, there is already a problem with the underjaw(slightly overshot doesn't have to give problems). The underjaw is the only real moving part in the bite, so you see that there is theoretically a loss of strength. When there is a problem in this part, better not to breed from it(unless it is a superb worker and you are prepared to take the gamble offcourse).

But if everybody breeds only with good workers, nature will sort most of these problems out the hard way.

• 4 weeks later...

over shot or under shot,if its not bothering the dog you shouldn't let it bother you

your wright mate :thumbs:

My mates bitch has a very overshot bottom jaw,but it does not stop her working,very good bitch.She recently had a litter of pups,6weeks old now and all mouths perfect.

did the sire have a perfect bite? is there any bad mouthed dogs in his line?

Is that for me dogger,if so no,the sire was perfect and as far as i know so is all his line,its in the dams line the problem lies{if its a problem} but the pups are perfect in the mouth.

over shot or under shot,if its not bothering the dog you shouldn't let it bother you

your wright mate :thumbs:

My mates bitch has a very overshot bottom jaw,but it does not stop her working,very good bitch.She recently had a litter of pups,6weeks old now and all mouths perfect.

6 weeks still got milk teeth sometimes defects dont show till proper teeth come through but its not a problem to me good workers have never got bad mouths so dont let it worry you pal