undershot jaw

do you think this trait can be bred out?e.g breeding a bitch with undershot to a good mouthed dog whats the chances of the pups having the same trait? does it miss generations etc? would you chance breeding an undershot dog in the hope that the pups would be good if the parents were good workers? :hmm: lot of questions but im bored :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

an under shot jaw while not being desireable is not a serious fault IMO. there are far worse traits being carried by terrier strains such as spewing. i think breeding for apperance has messed up alot

I think by using an outcross,eventually the problem gets less and less,different if you kept breedind from your own stock,as for vets they only tell you what you want to hear and take your cash for te

I would have no problem breeding out of an undershot dog or bitch,if they were good enough . An undershot dog can still work as well as one with a good mouth

Posted Images

I know of a litter of black pups on the ground at the minute.The sire was perfect in the mouth but the dam was very badly overshot on the bottom jaw,hog mouthed as i would call her,but the pups are all perfect even jaw lines.

Its a bad idea once it's in the line it stays there might not pop out in every pup but why flood the soot world with dogs with major faults but that's my opinion

an under shot jaw while not being desireable is not a serious fault IMO. there are far worse traits being carried by terrier strains such as spewing. i think breeding for apperance has messed up alot of strains

• Like 3

Undershot overshot imo not aproblem for the dog work wise, had undershot dog work as good as any other some times better. Only a problem in the show ring mate and in the show ring it doesn't matter how much heart or how good a dog works.

It wouldn't bother me mate

The only problem i seen with my mates bitch was her bottom jaw stuck out like a sore prick and after only a handfull of digs she had lost nearly all her bottom teeth.

lads what planet are some of you on.. undershot or overshot is a fault and cant be bred out.. dont breed of the bitch or the dog with the problem.. basic genetics and stockmanship.. go and ask any good sensible vet.. i give you my vets number if you want to talk to him..

Its a bad idea once it's in the line it stays there might not pop out in every pup but why flood the soot world with dogs with major faults but that's my opinion

an under shot jaw while not being desireable is not a serious fault IMO. there are far worse traits being carried by terrier strains such as spewing. i think breeding for apperance has messed up alot of strains

lads what planet are some of you on.. undershot or overshot is a fault and cant be bred out.. dont breed of the bitch or the dog with the problem.. basic genetics and stockmanship.. go and ask any good sensible vet.. i give you my vets number if you want to talk to him..

I think by using an outcross,eventually the problem gets less and less,different if you kept breedind from your own stock,as for vets they only tell you what you want to hear and take your cash for telling you.lol.

• Like 2