Good foxing calibre? Suggestions

Anything from a .22rf to a 50Cal. The choice is yours. They all get the job done if you put the lead in the right place.

Sorry if that doesn't help. There's no such thing as a one size fits all solution when it comes to a personal choice of weaponry.

Personally I find a .243 and 75gr BT's fits most situations.

OK, what range? .22lr, 17 Hmr, .22WMR, .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .220 Swift, .243, 6mmbr, 6.5 x 55. I'm sorry chap, but it's such an open question! 12 bore with the right cartridge, out to 40yards?

My opinion only no offence.As most foxes are shot under 250y any of 22cf 204- 222- 223- 22 250 will stop it dead in its tracks.Use 223 myself shot plenty out to 350y in mornings i always keep it under 200 at night. theirs always another night to get him.

OK, what range? .22lr, 17 Hmr, .22WMR, .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .220 Swift, .243, 6mmbr, 6.5 x 55. I'm sorry chap, but it's such an open question! 12 bore with the right cartridge, out to 40yards?

Ric is right, each calibre has its own advantages/disadvantages. Think about what you current needs are and then what you are likely to be doing in the future and how much you are going to spend. I would bear in mind the following points :

• Get the best scope you can afford...a lot of people say spend as much on the scope as you do the rifle, and I wish I had taken that advice initially. There is nothing worse than looking through cheap scopes when trying to lamp a fox.

• Hobbies have a habit of growing arms and legs. If this is you just moving into centrefires it maybe that you are likely to progress from foxing to shooting deer at some point? So ask yourself can you afford to buy another rifle and buy another scope aswell in the future. A lot of people that have centrefires soon move onto reoading too so this is an additional future cost you need to think about! If you have more than one calibre you may need to buy more dies etc! A .243 is a good all round calibre for deer and foxes.

• If you want a fox only rifle then I would consider ammo costs/reloading costs and get a calibre that is cheap to buy ammo/reload. In my experience 80% of foxes are shot at less than 200 yards so pretty much any centrefire calibre will do that. A .22 Hornet or .204 ruger is a lot cheaper to reload than a 6.5x55 for example, not sure about to buy ammo though...anyone else know that?

• Put up a post and ask a few local people to see if they will let you see what different calibres are like.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by dave1372