The neighbours chickens

I no nothing about chickens or looking after them so im looking for some advice about my neighbours chickens. When we first moved in we had a bit of an argumemt about her keeping her chickens out of my garden so my dogs dont eat them, so I dont really want to say anything to her unless im sure of my facts.

She has about 5 or 6 pet chickens at the end of her garden, recently I have spent a lot of time in our back bedroom (decorating) and I noticed the chickens seem quite bald on their lower half and it seems quite red and irritated. Is this a normal chicken thing or does it mean they have a problem?

If they have lice or mites is this something my dogs can catch? They are regularly womed and de flead.

Quick call the RSPCA! :blink:

My advice would be (if you already done so) is kindly ask your neighbour to secure them, and give the reasons why, and then make note of it.

If they were to fly/enter in your garden and your dog kills them/injure them, your neighbour has the right to bring you to a small claims court, however this very rarely happens (especially over chickens, unless they are prize stock, but then the right owner would have better knowledge not to make them wonder) This would also cost your neighbour money, and lots of it too. So the chances are very slim.

If your dog entered your neighbours garden and did the deed to her chickens then your up for the high jump.

I'd remain civil and get on with your neighbour.

Love the chickens, they are cool, and you never know, you may even end up with a dozen fresh eggs on your doorstep.

;)

My advice would be (if you already done so) is kindly ask your neighbour to secure them, and give the reasons why, and then make note of it.

If they were to fly/enter in your garden and your dog kills them/injure them, your neighbour has the right to bring you to a small claims court, however this very rarely happens (especially over chickens, unless they are prize stock, but then the right owner would have better knowledge not to make them wonder) This would also cost your neighbour money, and lots of it too. So the chances are very slim.

If your dog entered your neighbours garden and did the deed to her chickens then your up for the high jump.

Love the chickens, they are cool, and you never know, you may even end up with a dozen fresh eggs on your doorstep.

;)

very wise words :yes:

;)

he's not on about that now...sounds like that's been resolved. He's on about them being bald.

Yep as Rob said the escaping thing has now been kinda sorted. I have put some rocks on the fence line where the little buggers kept digging under, they still keep coming through up the end of the garden though as I cant get round the other side of the big tree we have. But they have learned to disappear sharpish now when they hear our back door, and the dogs cant get there to get their side.

Spoke to the neighbours about it and they couldn't be bothered to do anything about it, but then again they are a bit odd and no one speaks to them really.

Its more just what they look like, I done want to be one of those people saying their chickens look ill, only to find the baldness is a chicken thing. Equally as they do still hang about in our garden sometimes I want to make sure they aren't going to have anything that will make my dogs ill. I dont know if they have a cock as I have never heard one crowing, only the little chicken noises.

Chickens shouldn't be bald if they are healthy. Ex layers can look pretty awful if the people have only just got them from a chicken farm, but they should recover fairly well if they are treated properly: ex layers often have missing feathers, maybe pecked around the head and neck, and very pale combs and wattles........but I think you were referring to their undersides. This could be due to a bad mite infestation, or dirty/wet living conditions. Either way, a chicken should have feathers covering all of its body, its comb and wattles should be a bright red (pale combs are also a sign of ill health/bad diet/mite infestation) Their backsides shouldn't be bedraggled with shit either. Legs can also look horrible if they have scaly leg (another type of mite infestation)

• Like 1

Just to make this clear I am noyt asking for info to grass the woman up, if is was - would have just phoned the RSPCA in the first place. I was asking so next time I could offer some advice before somene does report her. I can do without them poking about nextdoor especially as you can see int our garden from theirs.