thanks for your ideas ive tried most of them a with some success, will try the eagle owl one or maybe a scarecrow

We just put a debris mesh roof on our pens stops all raptors !! Bit of cost but worth it

Unrealistic on any decent pen. Licenses to control them at peak times is the only way.

What do you consider a 'decent' pen? Im not being funny, I genuinely believe netting is very effective. Doesnt do shit for the birds outside the pen mind.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anything by 'The Eagles'....       I'll get my coat

Am pleased that you agree that we should be able to deal with the problem   seems strange to me that licences are readily available to shoot cormorants a bird with far less numbers than buzzards yet

thanks for your ideas ive tried most of them a with some success, will try the eagle owl one or maybe a scarecrow

We just put a debris mesh roof on our pens stops all raptors !! Bit of cost but worth it

Unrealistic on any decent pen. Licenses to control them at peak times is the only way.

What do you consider a 'decent' pen? Im not being funny, I genuinely believe netting is very effective. Doesnt do shit for the birds outside the pen mind.

A decent pen is a large pen with substantial trees in it for birds to roost which in turn makes it immpossible to put any kind of netting over. I understand if we are talking 100 birds here but on larger shoots pens can be massive in size. I think Danw of here has a pen which is about an acre...........imagine trying to net that.....

A decent pen is a large pen with substantial trees in it for birds to roost which in turn makes it immpossible to put any kind of netting over. I understand if we are talking 100 birds here but on larger shoots pens can be massive in size. I think Danw of here has a pen which is about an acre...........imagine trying to net that.....

Biggest I have is 6 acres mate but I know for a pen on a mates shoot that covers over 12 acres and has a road round it for him to drive round :icon_eek: mine is only that big cause of how many we used to put down :thumbs:

Biggest I have is 6 acres mate but I know for a pen on a mates shoot that covers over 12 acres and has a road round it for him to drive round :icon_eek: mine is only that big cause of how many we used to put down :thumbs:

Thought it was alot bigger than 1 myself mate but couldn't remember how big you said. Thats an immense pen, 12 acres....jesus!!! How many birds did he put in there, take him all day to walk round that....

Thought it was alot bigger than 1 myself mate but couldn't remember how big you said. Thats an immense pen, 12 acres....jesus!!! How many birds did he put in there, take him all day to walk round that....

LOL don't think the fecker has ever walked anywhere :laugh: he puts 15k in the pen to feed 2 drives one of which is actually in the pen :icon_redface:

LOL don't think the fecker has ever walked anywhere :laugh: he puts 15k in the pen to feed 2 drives one of which is actually in the pen :icon_redface:

15000 in a pen ffs..... :laugh: ........can i get his order please..... :toast:

Has anyone actually succeeded in getting a license to control buzzards yet ???? I doubt it,, the decision to issue them was just lip service to kid on they were listening,, but I`ve never heard of one being legally killed yet,,

fekin more buzzards than crows somedays,, b*****ds ! lol

Has anyone actually succeeded in getting a license to control buzzards yet ???? I doubt it,, the decision to issue them was just lip service to kid on they were listening,, but I`ve never heard of one being legally killed yet,,

fekin more buzzards than crows somedays,, b*****ds ! lol

Well i've never heard of anyone getting it. Am sure it was a load of bollocks and by the time you'd be granted one the birds would be looking after themselves by then.

I was always under the illusion that buzzards did not take live game,only carron.I know that they would frighten birds to death in a pen,flying into netting and such,but never knew they actually took them.Learn something new everyday.

I was always under the illusion that buzzards did not take live game,only carron.I know that they would frighten birds to death in a pen,flying into netting and such,but never knew they actually took them.Learn something new everyday.

Theres alot of people who think the same. Its a load of bollocks. There deadly on young poults up to a certain age.......... :yes:

Not being funny but does anybody know anybody whos had a licence granted for controlling buzzards......... I dont ! and wouldnt hold my breath waiting for one

True buzzards are great scavengers and eaters of insects -lazy some say compared with other birds of prey . Hell ,faced with a pen full of naive poults you can bet they've learned to take advantage of easy pickings . Especially as the baby buzzards fly the nest just in time for the release period .

Under the old rearing fields and release systems that used broodies and coops and usually had a keeper or two on watch the buzzard would not have had the oppertunity to learn bad habits or lead its youngsters astray . Nowadays buzzards are making a big come back into a Gamekeeping scene that relies upon big ,unattended pens for releasing poults. Evolution at work .

A local Keeper swears by the scarecrow method . Not just any old scarecrows . These are M&S scarecrows . Sure they have the usual oily boiler suit scrounged from the tractor driver,the usual stinky straw stuffing etc . They also have old plastic cone shaped drinkers as heads with exagerated eyes painted on . What is more ,each cone -head contains a workman's flashing light.The lights are switched on at the afternoon feed . The Keeper has also invested in a few cheap radios. The scare-crows are moved about the pen every day or so and the system seems to work not only for buzzards but also owls .

As he says "buzzards are a fact of life nowadays ". The only real drawback apart from the extra work involved is that his woods sometimes have the appearance of nocturnal rave party .

Edited by comanche