Hi everyone,

I have just acquired a gorgeous lurcher bitch at now 10 months. We are a couple who love mountain biking and walking/ running around the countryside and therfore her breed seems perfect in that she has that endless ability to run...however ...we had an incident yesterday with sheep which took us by surprise (in that we weren't expecting sheep and she was off the lead). She went into a 'deaf' chase. Awful, embarrassing and if a farmer had been there he would/ should have shot her. She did not catch anything/ draw blood etc, but it is something we absolutely need to stop in her. HELP! What should we do?

You'll have to spend a deal of time at training her before you walk/ride around the countryside with her off the lead.

Get a long line, walk her through the sheep as much as you can. Correct her when she shows any interest or so much as looks at them. Sometimes you have to be, erm, very firm with them.

Now she's chased one, she'll chase again. Be very careful. If you're not sure what to do seek professional training. You just can't have a lurcher running around in the countryside without stock training - not unless you know the land really well and can keep her on lead where there is stock. When you're riding etc that would be difficult.

Thank you for that and I appreciate your time replying. Looks like I will be off to the fields with my rolled up newspaper!

Before you go off training your dog on some ones sheep I should ask permission first it'll probably save a proper shout up from the owner of the sheep :thumbs:

With permission from the owner of the sheep go and buy an extendable lead. The longest one you can get. The dog has enough freedom to show its true intentions and you still have control. ANY sign of wanting to chase or attack you need to get in there and correct it. ANY sign of not being interested in the sheep you need to reward the good behaviour with praise and a treat.