Any of you give your ferrets

As I said, it is different for various carnivores. Polecats etc have burrows and so can hide their kill. Lions/hyenas etc don't have that privilege, plus unlike polecats/ferrets, they hunt in a pack and must gorge themselves on a kill. Polecats, like foxes stash a percentage of their food for harder times. Polecats tend to crush/puncture the skull to render excess prey paralysed but alive, and stash it in their burrow to have a supply of 'fresh meat' for their larder. For large predators, the abdominal cavity is the quickest way to reach the nutritious organs, the guts may be left to lower ranking pack members to scavenge as they are unable to get the best bits of the kill, answering why eating something of no nutritional benefit happens, they are simply filling their stomach/staving their hunger with what is discarded by high ranking pack members. Obviously, with a business, the pecking order dicates which ferret gets what. As far as burying the stomach goes and when or why it is done, find that out for yourself before you dismiss it.

The percentage of nutrients absorbed before defacation depends on what has been consumed.

Y.I.S Leeview

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I were to give advice to a novice, it would be to completely ignore everything you hear from Ferret100.....reason, because to someone who is new to ferrets he could sound like he knows what he's on

Ferret wikki   Just talks total bollocks really,, ,, when I see that shes posted now ,I pretty much avoid a thread, as she fekin destroys them with inane pish!!

It really depends on your ferrets diet as to whether additional vitamins/FFA's/minerals/amino acids etc are necessary. Excess fat soluble vits, such as A & D, contained in organs such as liver are

As I said, it is different for various carnivores. Polecats etc have burrows and so can hide their kill. Lions/hyenas etc don't have that privilege, plus unlike polecats/ferrets, they hunt in a pack and must gorge themselves on a kill. Polecats, like foxes stash a percentage of their food for harder times. Polecats tend to crush/puncture the skull to render excess prey paralysed but alive, and stash it in their burrow to have a supply of 'fresh meat' for their larder. For large predators, the abdominal cavity is the quickest way to reach the nutritious organs, the guts may be left to lower ranking pack members to scavenge as they are unable to get the best bits of the kill, answering why eating something of no nutritional benefit happens, they are simply filling their stomach/staving their hunger with what is discarded by high ranking pack members. Obviously, with a business, the pecking order dicates which ferret gets what. As far as burying the stomach goes and when or why it is done, find that out for yourself before you dismiss it.

The percentage of nutrients absorbed before defacation depends on what has been consumed.

Y.I.S Leeview

Well what polecats are you talking about then (obviously not polecat coloured ferrets!), and how do they differ in relation to the previous points?

Oh you were refering to polecat coloured ferrets that live in burrows? I mistakingly thought we were discussing polecat coloured polecats that live and survive in the wild that dont live in BURROWS more likely to live in drystone walls, tree roots, in hay barns and hollow logs :yes: Wild animals that stash food DEFINATELY dont stash it where they live so the smell does nt bring unwanted attention from predators.

As for working it out myself about burying the the stomach :hmm: Just cant imagine a pack member removing the stomach, burying it then going back to carry on feeding on the kill

Y.I.S Leeview

Oh you were refering to polecat coloured ferrets that live in burrows? I mistakingly thought we were discussing polecat coloured polecats that live and survive in the wild that dont live in BURROWS more likely to live in drystone walls, tree roots, in hay barns and hollow logs :yes: Wild animals that stash food DEFINATELY dont stash it where they live so the smell does nt bring unwanted attention from predators.

As for working it out myself about burying the the stomach :hmm: Just cant imagine a pack member removing the stomach, burying it then going back to carry on feeding on the kill

Y.I.S Leeview

What you imagine has nothing to do with fact.

Yes, 'wild' polecats do tend to use unoccupied/deserted burrows (a burrow can be defined as either a hole or a tunnel) of other animals, if none are avaliable they will dig their own. Again, stashing prey is relative to the carnivorve and it's dietary requirements. As polecats, like ferrets, have a high metabolism, the larder is soon depleted. I'm not sure what predators you believe will take on, or even fit into the burrow of a wild polecat defending a stashed kill. Chicks in a bird nest etc attract the unwanted attention of predators, but polecats are much better equipped to defend their property. Where are you going with this? It just seems you leap onto anything to try to prove a point that isn't there?

Y.I.S Leeview

But I clearly said "CANT IMAGINE" not I do imagine

Yes, 'wild' polecats do tend to use unoccupied/deserted burrows (a burrow can be defined as either a hole or a tunnel) of other animals, if none are avaliable they will dig their own. Again, stashing prey is relative to the carnivorve and it's dietary requirements. As polecats, like ferrets, have a high metabolism, the larder is soon depleted. I'm not sure what predators you believe will take on, or even fit into the burrow of a wild polecat defending a stashed kill.

I believe a wild polecat would nt be much of a problem for a fox,(members on here have told of losing ferrets to foxes while working rabbit warrens) badgers, mink and thats in the UK elsewhere coyotes, wolves and bears will easily dig out a bury without too much effort

Chicks in a bird nest etc attract the unwanted attention of predators, but polecats are much better equipped to defend their property

How in your imagination are polecats better equipped to defend their property?

Where are you going with this? It just seems you leap onto anything to try to prove a point that isn't there?

read my signature the second line applies to yourself

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

But I clearly said "CANT IMAGINE" not I do imagine

Yes, 'wild' polecats do tend to use unoccupied/deserted burrows (a burrow can be defined as either a hole or a tunnel) of other animals, if none are avaliable they will dig their own. Again, stashing prey is relative to the carnivorve and it's dietary requirements. As polecats, like ferrets, have a high metabolism, the larder is soon depleted. I'm not sure what predators you believe will take on, or even fit into the burrow of a wild polecat defending a stashed kill.

I believe a wild polecat would nt be much of a problem for a fox,(members on here have told of losing ferrets to foxes while working rabbit warrens) badgers, mink and thats in the UK elsewhere coyotes, wolves and bears will easily dig out a bury without too much effort

Chicks in a bird nest etc attract the unwanted attention of predators, but polecats are much better equipped to defend their property

How in your imagination are polecats better equipped to defend their property?

Where are you going with this? It just seems you leap onto anything to try to prove a point that isn't there?

read my signature the second line applies to yourself

Y.I.S Leeview

Yes, alright, whatever you say...I didn't realise your 'signature' was judge and jury over all.... silly me.

Edited by ferret100

Can't believe this is still going on....ferret100, do you just make 'facts' up or what? polecats crush animals skulls and hide then paralysed until later, what utter shite!!!!!!! Not only do you spout bollocks about keeping ferrets, you spout bollocks about alsorts! Do yourself a favour and try and keep yourself to yourself, if I'm honest it's a little embarrassing.

• Like 2

'rob190364' timestamp='1313045857' post='2188128']

Can't believe this is still going on....ferret100, do you just make 'facts' up or what? polecats crush animals skulls and hide then paralysed until later, what utter shite!!!!!!! Not only do you spout bollocks about keeping ferrets, you spout bollocks about alsorts! Do yourself a favour and try and keep yourself to yourself, if I'm honest it's a little embarrassing.

I thought it was like a quotation out a book line verse and paragraph

Can't believe this is still going on....ferret100, do you just make 'facts' up or what?  polecats crush animals skulls and hide then paralysed until later, what utter shite!!!!!!!  Not only do you spout bollocks about keeping ferrets, you spout bollocks about alsorts!  Do yourself a favour and try and keep yourself to yourself, if I'm honest it's a little embarrassing.

:yes: For the benefit of Ferret100 and anybody else who has obviously never seen a mustelid go about it's business with their own eyes, this is a classic example of how they kill: HPIM0741.jpg

• Like 1

:yes: For the benefit of Ferret100 and anybody else who has obviously never seen a mustelid go about it's business with their own eyes, this is a classic example of how they kill: HPIM0741.jpg

Is that rabbit crushing the ferrets skull to paralyse it before it stashes it in its larder

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1