Any of you give your ferrets

'Brian-911' timestamp='1311668305' post='2167757']

Ahh right well yeah, I feed them mix of complete, fresh meat, and now and again abit of bread and milk. Think theyll get all the vitamins they need. Cheers

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Another one with out a clue must be school summer holidays

I wouldn't give it bread and milk bud, they're lactose intolerant.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I were to give advice to a novice, it would be to completely ignore everything you hear from Ferret100.....reason, because to someone who is new to ferrets he could sound like he knows what he's on

Ferret wikki   Just talks total bollocks really,, ,, when I see that shes posted now ,I pretty much avoid a thread, as she fekin destroys them with inane pish!!

It really depends on your ferrets diet as to whether additional vitamins/FFA's/minerals/amino acids etc are necessary. Excess fat soluble vits, such as A & D, contained in organs such as liver are

It really depends on your ferrets diet as to whether additional vitamins/FFA's/minerals/amino acids etc are necessary. Excess fat soluble vits, such as A & D, contained in organs such as liver are not recommended, but excess water soluble vits are of no consequence. Amino acids such as Taurine, are vital to ferret health and are relatively low in dietary muscle tissue. Tbh, this goes on and on. I'm not sure what answer you expected, as many on this forum have little clue regarding the appropriate dietary requirements of ferrets.

I feed a mix of quality dried ferret food brands, a balanced mix of meat, organ & bone, plus various supplements.

It really depends on the vitamin supplement you are talking about, what it contains and whether it is necessary in relation to the diet your ferrets already recieve.

so are you suggesting a natural diet is not satisfying the appropriate dietary requirements of ferrets?

No. The statement you highlighted means that large quantities of muscle tissue would need to be consumed in order for a ferret to receive enough dietary Taurine.

Edited by ferret100

The fact is, and this goes for dogs aswell, if you feed it a decent natural diet...or as close to a natural diet as you can, then you won't need to add any extra vitamins or supplements.....a supplement is just that, it's to make up for something it's lacking that it should be having. If you give it a natural diet it won't be lacking anything. :thumbs:

It really depends on your ferrets diet as to whether additional vitamins/FFA's/minerals/amino acids etc are necessary. Excess fat soluble vits, such as A & D, contained in organs such as liver are not recommended, but excess water soluble vits are of no consequence. Amino acids such as Taurine, are vital to ferret health and are relatively low in dietary muscle tissue. Tbh, this goes on and on. I'm not sure what answer you expected, as many on this forum have little clue regarding the appropriate dietary requirements of ferrets.

I feed a mix of quality dried ferret food brands, a balanced mix of meat, organ & bone, plus various supplements.

It really depends on the vitamin supplement you are talking about, what it contains and whether it is necessary in relation to the diet your ferrets already recieve.

so are you suggesting a natural diet is not satisfying the appropriate dietary requirements of ferrets?

No. The statement you highlighted means that large quantities of muscle tissue would need to be consumed in order for a ferret to receive enough dietary Taurine.

Are you a vet by any chance? No offence but your posts seem very similar to what vets spout when they're trying to get you to buy some of their expensive products that are totally unnecessary if an animal is eating what it should be eating naturally. Why exactly do you give your ferrets supplements if you're giving them "a balanced mix of meat, organ and bone"?

Are you a vet by any chance? No offence but your posts seem very similar to what vets spout when they're trying to get you to buy some of their expensive products that are totally unnecessary if an animal is eating what it should be eating naturally. Why exactly do you give your ferrets supplements if you're giving them "a balanced mix of meat, organ and bone"?

Some folk cant get their head round the fact that you can indeed feed your ferrets with large concentrations of nothing but what they'd come by naturally & what they've evolved to get by on. For that to happen, far too many poor innocent creatures would be harmed.. :o:doh:

Some folk cant get their head round the fact that you can indeed feed your ferrets with large concentrations of nothing but what they'd come by naturally & what they've evolved to get by on. For that to happen, far too many poor innocent creatures would be harmed.. :o:doh:

It's like this obsession people have with giving their dogs dried food that is labelled 'complete' and thinking that no diet is good for a dog unless a corporation have printed 'complete' on the packaging, then you look at the contents and it's full of fillers.....immoral marketing at its best, fool people into thinking they need something that they don't. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

I'm not sure what products you are talking about, so I can't really comment on that one.

I feed supplements, complete dried foods and meat etc, due to the fact that there will always be a pecking order in a business, this way I can help ensure each ferret gets what it needs.

I'm not sure what products you are talking about, so I can't really comment on that one.

I feed supplements, complete dried foods and meat etc, due to the fact that there will always be a pecking order in a business, this way I can help ensure each ferret gets what it needs.

:blink::hmm:

Wouldnt it be simpler to feed in small groups, so you can ensure that they all get there share of meat & dry food, its what i have always done with kits when sibling rivalry kicks in, split in to 2 or 3's & feed that way , so no one ferret is being constantly kicked off the food & I also found it helped with food guarding

Wouldnt it be simpler to feed in small groups, so you can ensure that they all get there share of meat & dry food, its what i have always done with kits when sibling rivalry kicks in, split in to 2 or 3's & feed that way , so no one ferret is being constantly kicked off the food & I also found it helped with food guarding

I see what you are saying, but no I wouldn't find it simpler. It isn't necessarily a case of food guarding, but preference. Some ferrets have a preference for the organs, some for the muscle tissue/bone and some for the dried food. So by adding the variety and some supplements, I find it easier to fulfill their requirements. My ferrets have access to food 24/7, and they vary in which food they prefer, I just choose to balance the scales.

Incidently, I noticed a thread on a different forum regarding the recent 'Jill Jab' situation, I (hopefully) recognised one of your profile pics and noticed you had informed people of the problem. The EU Legislation regarding hormone related drugs across the board will certainly make life difficult. I am hoping the VMD will shed light on this legislation next week and hopefully Intervet will review their stance on providing Delvosteron in more suitable quantities. Perhaps, as many on this forum turn to you for advice, you may be willing to rally up support, if necessary, to ensure once again the 'Jill Jab' is a monetary option for ferret owners?

Edited to say, the first paragraph relates to my ferrets, it is not a generalisation!!

Edited by ferret100

I see what you are saying, but no I wouldn't find it simpler. It isn't necessarily a case of food guarding, but preference. Some ferrets have a preference for the organs, some for the muscle tissue/bone and some for the dried food. So by adding the variety and some supplements, I find it easier to fulfill their requirements. My ferrets have access to food 24/7, and they vary in which food they prefer, I just choose to balance the scales.

Incidently, I noticed a thread on a different forum regarding the recent 'Jill Jab' situation, I (hopefully) recognised one of your profile pics and noticed you had informed people of the problem. The EU Legislation regarding hormone related drugs across the board will certainly make life difficult. I am hoping the VMD will shed light on this legislation next week and hopefully Intervet will review their stance on providing Delvosteron in more suitable quantities. Perhaps, as many on this forum turn to you for advice, you may be willing to rally up support, if necessary, to ensure once again the 'Jill Jab' is a monetary option for ferret owners?

Edited to say, the first paragraph relates to my ferrets, it is not a generalisation!!

I cant see how Intervet can really refuse to start packaging it in smaller doses, no vets going to buy in the stuff at 80 quid a bottle for it to be binned after taking 0.5 ml out of a 100ml bottle & having to charge the owner the best part of £80 & probably a consultation fee on top, its clearly going to be out of everyone's price range , & the likelihood of anyone taking 200 jills to be jabbed in one session is almost none existent :laugh:

It will mean there are even less options open to owners regarding jills & there seasons, I think the rescues will suffer the most as they normally jab if they take a jill on thats already in season & then spey at a later date, its going to be a huge drain on money for them as the vast majority don't or wont us a vasectomised hob, but if Intervet cant or wont package in smaller doeses then there going to have to think of something else for a quick fix

Surely if you fed ferrets on ONLY whole prey items such as rabbit, pigeon, day old chicks, mice etc then this would replicate a natural diet and be lacking in nothing?

Gaz

Edited by gareth_daniel

I cant see how Intervet can really refuse to start packaging it in smaller doses, no vets going to buy in the stuff at 80 quid a bottle for it to be binned after taking 0.5 ml out of a 100ml bottle & having to charge the owner the best part of £80 & probably a consultation fee on top, its clearly going to be out of everyone's price range , & the likelihood of anyone taking 200 jills to be jabbed in one session is almost none existent :laugh:

It will mean there are even less options open to owners regarding jills & there seasons, I think the rescues will suffer the most as they normally jab if they take a jill on thats already in season & then spey at a later date, its going to be a huge drain on money for them as the vast majority don't or wont us a vasectomised hob, but if Intervet cant or wont package in smaller doeses then there going to have to think of something else for a quick fix

I'm not sure whether Intervet regards the quantity of use of Delvosterone in ferrets as a particularly significant factor in the grand scheme to things, as the EU legislation applies to hormone related drugs across the board. Supplying all the drugs that the legislation applies to in specific quantities for the various appropriate species would be a considerable task for any pharmacuetical company, particularly if they find no justification to do so, and it may also hold logistical problems to the veterinary practices they wholesale to. Intervet will continue to successfully sell hormone regulators, without modifying the quantity, as animals continue to require them and vets are continuing to administer them, albeit at a greatly increased cost if the treatment is required by individual animals. Oddly, not all veterinary practices have, as yet, been informed by Intervet of the change in legislation.

Why the legislation has been applied, I'm hoping to find out. As far as I'm aware, there is nothing wrong with storing or continuing to use Delvosterone for 28 days after the vial has been broached, why 'immediate' disposal of a broached vial is now necessary, I don't know. But, as you said, it is certainly causing problems and rescues will be hard hit. If this legislation proves to be set for the foreseeable future, then perhaps Intervet may provide individual doses of Delvosterone for use in ferrets if they receive justification to do so. I hope ferret rescues and ferret owners, including those on here, would help to try achieve that, because after all, it's not only the pocket that may suffer but also the ferrets.

I'm not sure whether Intervet regards the quantity of use of Delvosterone in ferrets as a particularly significant factor in the grand scheme to things, as the EU legislation applies to hormone related drugs across the board. Supplying all the drugs that the legislation applies to in specific quantities for the various appropriate species would be a considerable task for any pharmacuetical company, particularly if they find no justification to do so, and it may also hold logistical problems to the veterinary practices they wholesale to. Intervet will continue to successfully sell hormone regulators, without modifying the quantity, as animals continue to require them and vets are continuing to administer them, albeit at a greatly increased cost if the treatment is required by individual animals. Oddly, not all veterinary practices have, as yet, been informed by Intervet of the change in legislation.

Why the legislation has been applied, I'm hoping to find out. As far as I'm aware, there is nothing wrong with storing or continuing to use Delvosterone for 28 days after the vial has been broached, why 'immediate' disposal of a broached vial is now necessary, I don't know. But, as you said, it is certainly causing problems and rescues will be hard hit. If this legislation proves to be set for the foreseeable future, then perhaps Intervet may provide individual doses of Delvosterone for use in ferrets if they receive justification to do so. I hope ferret rescues and ferret owners, including those on here, would help to try achieve that, because after all, it's not only the pocket that may suffer but also the ferrets.

well i have contacted fert over here who are a registered charity for just this kind of issue, hopefully they can conform if they have had other people contact regarding the same thing & if they have indeed contacted intervet