mike browns whipphets

Of course MB whippets will do a good nights lamping just like most other breeds of whippets out there. But for the life of me i have never seen such variation in whippet size....so if you want a whippet with that hidden bit of extra added then go for it.

But if you want a genuine whippet look else where.

have you got whippets?

Not anymore. I still go out with one though. I love both whippets and lurchers, but i like my whippets to be true to type (just a peronal thing) and there seems to be too many these days that are out of proportion. I prefer a lurcher for lamping rabbits, again personal preference.

ok mate cheers for your advice

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My lad has a bitch 20 tts and after bull crosses for years I thought she d just be a shivering puny thing that won t like the cold . She s lamped in heavy rain ferreted in the snow and showed no signs

Posted Images

A whippet off mike is bred for purpose there not the skinny type you see, the fire guard type I like to call them. Mb dogs are Great for lamping to, my mates are really good anyway. Why dont you take a look on the working whippet forum alot work his dogs on there I think.

A whippet off mike is bred for purpose there not the skinny type you see, the fire guard type I like to call them. Mb dogs are Great for lamping to, my mates are really good anyway. Why dont you take a look on the working whippet forum alot work his dogs on there I think.

There are aloy of different whippets on there from different lines.

Guest joball

I don't think anyone claimed they were bred as lamp dogs specifically. . .

Kevo and joball are talking shit on something they know next to nothing about.

alex1987 is about right, but the size/weight thing is just a preference .

Like has been said, there are other lines out there, but if you want a good solid whippet that will 100% work, then you could do worse than to speak to Mike.

I have one here and if i (or i think my friends) wanted another, they would be straight up there knocking on his door.

He's also a really really nice bloke.

now jai, i have met mike a few times been to his place. he's a descent bloke has a good line going imo which works, i have seen a lot of whippets from this line and only ever seen one bad one, the dog was just a bit to skitty. I have spoke to most the top lads with them and read books and used to frequently visit a whippet man my end who runs about 7 whippets who also knows mike very well, he used to own sooty sams sister if my memory serves me right and i know another fella who mike used to get his whippets of 20 plus maybe years ago.

i'm only down the road from mike and i'm welcome there anytime (his words). even mike will tell you his dogs aint be all and end all when it comes to whippets, he has respect for other lads who breed the whippet to, as we spoke about a few of them last time i was at his and he thinks of them highly.

i myself like mb whippets over most lines coz they work for ME, they carry weight theY have that extra inch which all helps when it comes to working hard in the field for ME.

I know nothing, but i'd like to thank mike for all his hard work in my bitches breeding :D

all pics from last season.

Picture046-1.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

kfkgsuni212.jpg

kfkgsuni213.jpg

kfkgsuni183.jpg

kfkgsuni184.jpg

kfkgsuni178.jpg

kfkgsuni155-1.jpg

004-7.jpg

003-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

kfkgsuni214.jpg

i know nothing :hmm:

go for what ever line you want it your choice no one elses, no one puts a gun and puts it to someones head and forces people to buy dogs of him.

haha FH i forgot you had that bitch.

What i meant was - any line of whippet, i.e those little, shivery things, will not work the same.

But aye, there are some good working lines apart from mikes (although a lot started with dogs from mike).

Glad i got you to stick up the pictures though!

Guest joball

alex i know you from the wwf which you will know who i am from seeing my bitch, your only a young lad, i don't comment on other lines coz to be honest i aint seen many only a few, but your comments about being to big is from the lads you bother with, you got a pup from sonny which tbh aint my thing but i'd never say a bad word about him as i know nothing of the dog only seen pics and he's to fine and small for my likeing but thats not to say other lads don't like him he might be pefect to them, its each to there own mate what suits me might not suit others.

Guest joball

What i meant was - any line of whippet, i.e those little, shivery things, will not work the same.

But aye, there are some good working lines apart from mikes (although a lot started with dogs from mike).

no probs jai i know what your saying, and I totaly agree with you but thats me not all have the same views on the whippet as urs, some like them small skinny looking things but there not for me. i personaly need a a stronger type that can carry weight as i like to hammer them and they don't loose to much condition and have a little bit of fat to burn and keep them warm, they also have denser bone to take them knocks better. seen my bitch go full pelt head first into a dry stone piller after a long ear, i thought she was dead but she just picked her self up and shook it of and was back to buisness. just how i like it :thumbs:

i don't claim to be an expert its just based on what i have seen with my own eyes. theres far more knowlegable people than me on lines etc :thumbs:

• Like 1

alex i know you from the wwf which you will know who i am from seeing my bitch, your only a young lad, i don't comment on other lines coz to be honest i aint seen many only a few, but your comments about being to big is from the lads you bother with, you got a pup from sonny which tbh aint my thing but i'd never say a bad word about him as i know nothing of the dog only seen pics and he's to fine and small for my likeing but thats not to say other lads don't like him he might be pefect to them, its each to there own mate what suits me might not suit others.

Hi mate

My comments about being too big and heavy are my views from dogs I have seen and the 2 dogs I have had. I havnt got any against mb's dogs they do the job very well just not my preference. And what's being a young lad got to do with it? My pup from sonny has got to 21" and is shaping up to be a strong dog but not too heavy like some can be. I saw a SS dog, not sure if it was one of mike's at broughton and it weighed 18kgn now to be that is just ridiculous for a whippet that bitch of yours is a nice size and shape and by the looks of things is a good worker.

I'm not saying I am an expert by any means like I said its just my views

Atb

Alex

Guest joball

Hi mate

My comments about being too big and heavy are my views from dogs I have seen and the 2 dogs I have had. I havnt got any against mb's dogs they do the job very well just not my preference. And what's being a young lad got to do with it? My pup from sonny has got to 21" and is shaping up to be a strong dog but not too heavy like some can be. I saw a SS dog, not sure if it was one of mike's at broughton and it weighed 18kgn now to be that is just ridiculous for a whippet that bitch of yours is a nice size and shape and by the looks of things is a good worker.

I'm not saying I am an expert by any means like I said its just my views

Atb

Alex

being a young lad has alot to do with it coz you aint speaking from years of experience your speaking about maybe a handfull of dogs you have seen run a few times or seen at a shows lol. didnt your ss pup damage itself from a young age so you never got the chance to work it, even tho it would of only done one season anyway. lurchers are alot bigger than whippets and theres no beating them even when it comes to rabbits. so you like my bitch well she's a big whippet, abit over 20 and around 15 kg. your only sticking up for your pup as he's a lighter framed dog i understand that but you ARE dissing the bigger whippet. one of them cruelty case skinny looking whippets wouldn't even get in my run as i'd be scared of getting reported lol, went round the midlands a few yeas ago and seen loads of these types. not my likeing at all. see mate we can all start dissing other types of dogs its easy but pointless because what suits you will defiantly not suit me. each to there own.

no probs jai i know what your saying, and I totaly agree with you but thats me not all have the same views on the whippet as urs, some like them small skinny looking things but there not for me. i personaly need a a stronger type that can carry weight as i like to hammer them and they don't loose to much condition and have a little bit of fat to burn and keep them warm, they also have denser bone to take them knocks better. seen my bitch go full pelt head first into a dry stone piller after a long ear, i thought she was dead but she just picked her self up and shook it of and was back to buisness. just how i like it :thumbs:

i don't claim to be an expert its just based on what i have seen with my own eyes. theres far more knowlegable people than me on lines etc :thumbs:

Well mate, i agree with you! Pretty much exactly what i see in my dog. Only thing i could knock him for is too much prey drive, leading to occasional (total) deafness and a thing for hitting anything in his path head on when after game. Has had two ops under anesthetic already at 16 month. Wouldnt swop him for owt though, he is one of the best daytime 'hunting' (running) dogs i have seen.

Out of interest, why is a 21-22 " whippet that weighs around 18kg ridiculous??? Not trying to start an argument, i just don't get why it's ridiculous, surely the weight is just a figure, it's how it carries that weight, and whether that weight affects it's running?

Out of interest, why is a 21-22 " whippet that weighs around 18kg ridiculous??? Not trying to start an argument, i just don't get why it's ridiculous, surely the weight is just a figure, it's how it carries that weight, and whether that weight affects it's running?

A whippet shouldn't get anywhere near 18kg imo but like I have said that's just my opinion. I'm no getting into an argument about it I have put my views acress and what I know about the whippet. And look back over my posts I have never "dissed" the bigger whippet I've just said they are not for me. And as for my pup well we'll see what the future holds for him...

Joeball, that is a really nice whippet simler to my mates its called slate if you've ever heared of it? He says the same thing as you about wieght and about it being how they carry it. He also like you says a dog needs a bit of fat on them to keep the heat in on cold nights and days. bigger is better I always thought

Guest joball

You been in the running game for 5 minutes and seem to know the in and outs, well what you been told anyway. i used to be like you when i was abit younger, listen to what people older than me said but i found out from working my dogs, there views wernt mine.

Jai we both have similar views and needs from are whippets mate. Alb with your pup and injoy, same to you alex.