appologies in advance if this one of those reoccouring topics!! I am usually active in other sections and get hacked off with re occourin threads like lets see your bullX`s!!

anyway which manufactures and why ?

was thinking of synthetic/stainless but opinions please

kind regards WB

I guess the first question you must ask yourself is . . . What will you use a .308 for ? and that will guide you to your choice.

Then of course there is your budget.

I have two .308's but both for different uses; one for Highland Red Deer and normal everyday shooting and the other for long range target shooting out to 1000 meters; the main difference between mine is the value because of what they are, £500-00 for one and £5000-00 for the other.

If I was to pick a good value for money .308 to do many jobs I'd go for a Remington 700

I'd agree. For general use, a Remington 700 takes a lot of beating. Lots of stocks, wood or synthetic. Barrels from 22" to 26", sports to heavy varmint stainless fluted. Buy it with a Jewell trigger kit, about £50. You'll have a good all round working gun or if you get carried away a great base for a special!

• Like 1

I use a styer scout 308, i'm told it will last for ages if its looked after.

I like it because it lighter than most other 308's and it has a shorter barrel which is handy for stalking in woodlands. It is so accurate to. It has buit in bipod and 2 magazines aswell.

The bolt is nice but a bit stiff when locking in bullet.

tikka m595 is nice if you can find a stainless one. i just sold a tikka t3 stainless in 308 for a mate of mine £350. no one had any interest in it as it was rebarreled by rifle craft with a remmy profile barrel.

it looked a little odd where it met the action. but the guy who had it. done some reloads for it the other day. and said it groups superb.

jewell trigger is abit more then 50 pound though for a remmy action. more like 200 pound

tikka m595 is nice if you can find a stainless one. i just sold a tikka t3 stainless in 308 for a mate of mine £350. no one had any interest in it as it was rebarreled by rifle craft with a remmy profile barrel.

it looked a little odd where it met the action. but the guy who had it. done some reloads for it the other day. and said it groups superb.

jewell trigger is abit more then 50 pound though for a remmy action. more like 200 pound

You may well be right. Still worth it though!

Kev, does the bolt slide back and forward nicely, and close ok on an empty chamber? If so you may well have a tight chamber. Are you running home loads, and if so were they fired from a different rifle? The bolt being tight to close is a sign that the round is very tight in the chamber (or possibly the OAL is too long and the bullet is being forced into the rifling by the bolt). It's something to keep an eye on as a very tight chamber can cause increased peak pressures, so watch out for signs of overpressure on the cases. Probably teaching grandma to suck eggs, but worth checking if in doubt.

Target work is a minefield and many go the serious custom route paying loads of money.

For General field use there are not really any BAD ones, it's simply a matter of need and expectation.

My .308 is a Rem 700 SPS Stainless, mine is out of the box with X-Mark pro trigger, I have simply had the barrel chopped by 3", it gives me 1" with 150g PRVI SP and that does for me. :yes::thumbs:

Kev, does the bolt slide back and forward nicely, and close ok on an empty chamber? If so you may well have a tight chamber. Are you running home loads, and if so were they fired from a different rifle? The bolt being tight to close is a sign that the round is very tight in the chamber (or possibly the OAL is too long and the bullet is being forced into the rifling by the bolt). It's something to keep an eye on as a very tight chamber can cause increased peak pressures, so watch out for signs of overpressure on the cases. Probably teaching grandma to suck eggs, but worth checking if in doubt.