badger cull

TO THE ANTIS READING THIS FORUM. Do you see what your over zealous protection of badgers has done.All these brock that are going to be killed do not have to die,they could be dug out easily,safely and freely by terriermen,innoculated,re-released,re-located if necessary. Instead the over protection that you pushed for has lead to thousands of brock that will now needlessly be killed and continually so for years to come.I think its understood and admitted that a few idiots in our ranks fuelled this push,but now the pendulum has swung to far the other way and it is you who are doing the disservice and damage to brock.You need to re-think, me-thinks :doh::yes:

i could,nt have said it any better my self they say one in three carry tb :victory:

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TO THE ANTIS READING THIS FORUM. Do you see what your over zealous protection of badgers has done.All these brock that are going to be killed do not have to die,they could be dug out easily,safely and

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT WHY THE SUBJECT OF A CULL KEEPS CROPPING UP. THINK OF THE DAIRY FARMERS THAT ARE LOOSING CATTLE, 1ST THEY LOOSE WHATEVER CATTLE ARE INFECTED, FAIR ENOUGH THEY GET COMPENSATION FOR

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I finally received my response from the BBC. It only took 3 emails and then a phone call. Here it is for any who are interested;   Thank you for your email ab

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT WHY THE SUBJECT OF A CULL KEEPS CROPPING UP. THINK OF THE DAIRY FARMERS THAT ARE LOOSING CATTLE, 1ST THEY LOOSE WHATEVER CATTLE ARE INFECTED, FAIR ENOUGH THEY GET COMPENSATION FOR THE CULLED CATTLE, BUT IT'S THE AFTER AFFECT ON HIS INCOME. HIS MILK CANNOT BE DECLARED FIT FOR CONSUMPTION FOR A YEAR OR MORE, THAT'S WITH REGULAR TESTING OF HIS HEARD. THINK OF HIS INCOME! FEEDING AND VET BILLS FOR HIS HEARD AND NO MONEY COMMING FROM HIS MILK! ANY MILK HIS HEARD PRODUCES IS DUMPED DOWN THE DRAIN. THINK OF THE KNOCK ON AFFECT IF BOVINE BRUCILOCIOUS(SP) KEEPS SPREADING AT THE RATE IT IS? MORE HEARDS GOING DOWN, MORE MILK DOWN THE DRAIN, MORE MILK IMPORTS, LOCALLY PRODUCED MILK GETTING MORE EXPENSIVE. THERE'S A WIDER PICTURE THAN A CUDDLY LOOKING ANIMAL. WHO CARES WHAT METHOD IS USED. THE BADGER NEEDS TO COME OFF THE PROTECTED LIST.....END OF. BADGER BAITING IS A THING OF THE PAST. TIME TO AMMEND THE WILDLIFE BILL AND BE REALISTIC.

spot on mate but alot of people are stil living in a bubble and as u say just see the cuddly animal :wallbash:

:thumbs:

TO THE ANTIS READING THIS FORUM. Do you see what your over zealous protection of badgers has done.All these brock that are going to be killed do not have to die,they could be dug out easily,safely and freely by terriermen,innoculated,re-released,re-located if necessary. Instead the over protection that you pushed for has lead to thousands of brock that will now needlessly be killed and continually so for years to come.I think its understood and admitted that a few idiots in our ranks fuelled this push,but now the pendulum has swung to far the other way and it is you who are doing the disservice and damage to brock.You need to re-think, me-thinks :doh::yes:

:thumbs: voice of reason,

TO THE ANTIS READING THIS FORUM. Do you see what your over zealous protection of badgers has done.All these brock that are going to be killed do not have to die,they could be dug out easily,safely and freely by terriermen,innoculated,re-released,re-located if necessary. Instead the over protection that you pushed for has lead to thousands of brock that will now needlessly be killed and continually so for years to come.I think its understood and admitted that a few idiots in our ranks fuelled this push,but now the pendulum has swung to far the other way and it is you who are doing the disservice and damage to brock.You need to re-think, me-thinks

i could,nt have said it any better my self they say one in three carry tb

well said whos laughing now :gunsmilie:

Edited by lurcherlad_2010
  • Like 1

spot on :thumbs:

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT WHY THE SUBJECT OF A CULL KEEPS CROPPING UP. THINK OF THE DAIRY FARMERS THAT ARE LOOSING CATTLE, 1ST THEY LOOSE WHATEVER CATTLE ARE INFECTED, FAIR ENOUGH THEY GET COMPENSATION FOR THE CULLED CATTLE, BUT IT'S THE AFTER AFFECT ON HIS INCOME. HIS MILK CANNOT BE DECLARED FIT FOR CONSUMPTION FOR A YEAR OR MORE, THAT'S WITH REGULAR TESTING OF HIS HEARD. THINK OF HIS INCOME! FEEDING AND VET BILLS FOR HIS HEARD AND NO MONEY COMMING FROM HIS MILK! ANY MILK HIS HEARD PRODUCES IS DUMPED DOWN THE DRAIN. THINK OF THE KNOCK ON AFFECT IF BOVINE BRUCILOCIOUS(SP) KEEPS SPREADING AT THE RATE IT IS? MORE HEARDS GOING DOWN, MORE MILK DOWN THE DRAIN, MORE MILK IMPORTS, LOCALLY PRODUCED MILK GETTING MORE EXPENSIVE. THERE'S A WIDER PICTURE THAN A CUDDLY LOOKING ANIMAL. WHO CARES WHAT METHOD IS USED. THE BADGER NEEDS TO COME OFF THE PROTECTED LIST.....END OF. BADGER BAITING IS A THING OF THE PAST. TIME TO AMMEND THE WILDLIFE BILL AND BE REALISTIC.

spot on mate but alot of people are stil living in a bubble and as u say just see the cuddly animal :wallbash:

Just to let you know pasterisation cleans the milk. Where I work it's pasturised 3times before it's made into cheese I agree it can harm the income. But it has no affect on the milk what so ever also the meat can be consumed if declared fit for consumtion. I would love to be able to dig the pig but like subo says I dreamed a dream.

Just to let you know pasterisation cleans the milk. Where I work it's pasturised 3times before it's made into cheese I agree it can harm the income. But it has no affect on the milk what so ever also the meat can be consumed if declared fit for consumtion. I would love to be able to dig the pig but like subo says I dreamed a dream.

i agree with subo to :gunsmilie::laugh:

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I finally received my response from the BBC. It only took 3 emails and then a phone call. Here it is for any who are interested;

Thank you for your email about the protected status of badgers and please accept our apologies that you have not received a reply sooner. We can find only one email of complaint and the editor assigned it is currently on leave, but on his return we will investigate why there has been a delay.

As for your substantive point, we are satisfied that the paragraph in question is accurate. In the UK, badgers and their setts are protected under the Protection of Badgers Act of 1992. The government has Crown immunity allowing it to cull.

The European legislation in question is the Bern Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats:

http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/en/Treaties/html/104.htm

Badgers are listed under Appendix III. However, this offers more qualified protection in that it applies to populations of badgers rather than individual animals.

There are 24 Articles to this legislation that qualify it. For example, Article 7 appears to cover Appendix III species including badgers, but that article suggests that there could be closed season hunts of badgers in in certain European countries:

Article 7

1. Each Contracting Party shall take appropriate and necessary legislative and administrative measures to ensure the protection of the wild fauna species specified in Appendix III.

2. Any exploitation of wild fauna specified in Appendix III shall be regulated in order to keep the populations out of danger, taking into account the requirements of Article 2.

3. Measures to be taken shall include:

a) closed seasons and/or other procedures regulating the exploitation;

B) the temporary or local prohibition of exploitation, as appropriate, in order to restore satisfactory population levels;

c) the regulation as appropriate of sale, keeping for sale, transport for sale or offering for sale of live and dead wild animals.

So while they may well be hunted in other European countries through such provisions, we believe our statement is an accurate representation of the situation in the UK.

Best wishes,

BBC News website

I have responded as shown below.

Dear BBC News Website,

Thank you for your recent email. I accept that the paragraph is technically accurate. However, to the lay person unfamiliar with the EU legislation it could give the impression that badgers are given the same protection under EU law as they are under UK law. Therefore, the UK government may appear to be at odds with Europe in wanting to cull badgers in order to control bTB.

In summary, although it is accurate to say that the badger as a species is protected under EU law, it is also accurate to say that the badger as a species is hunted in many continental countries. I feel it is biased to make reference to the protection given by EU law without also making reference to the hunting of badger allowed under EU law as well. Please ammend your articles to make this point clear. Thank you for your assistance with this matter.

Yours sincerely,

unlacedgecko

I think it would be good if more people could email the BBC with their concerns over their coverage of this email. Most of the UK lads will pay a licence fee which funds this rubbish. If we make enough fuss over it we will force them to change.

• Like 3

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I finally received my response from the BBC. It only took 3 emails and then a phone call. Here it is for any who are interested;

Thank you for your email about the protected status of badgers and please accept our apologies that you have not received a reply sooner. We can find only one email of complaint and the editor assigned it is currently on leave, but on his return we will investigate why there has been a delay.

As for your substantive point, we are satisfied that the paragraph in question is accurate. In the UK, badgers and their setts are protected under the Protection of Badgers Act of 1992. The government has Crown immunity allowing it to cull.

The European legislation in question is the Bern Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats:

http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/en/Treaties/html/104.htm

Badgers are listed under Appendix III. However, this offers more qualified protection in that it applies to populations of badgers rather than individual animals.

There are 24 Articles to this legislation that qualify it. For example, Article 7 appears to cover Appendix III species including badgers, but that article suggests that there could be closed season hunts of badgers in in certain European countries:

Article 7

1. Each Contracting Party shall take appropriate and necessary legislative and administrative measures to ensure the protection of the wild fauna species specified in Appendix III.

2. Any exploitation of wild fauna specified in Appendix III shall be regulated in order to keep the populations out of danger, taking into account the requirements of Article 2.

3. Measures to be taken shall include:

a) closed seasons and/or other procedures regulating the exploitation;

B) the temporary or local prohibition of exploitation, as appropriate, in order to restore satisfactory population levels;

c) the regulation as appropriate of sale, keeping for sale, transport for sale or offering for sale of live and dead wild animals.

So while they may well be hunted in other European countries through such provisions, we believe our statement is an accurate representation of the situation in the UK.

Best wishes,

BBC News website

I have responded as shown below.

Dear BBC News Website,

Thank you for your recent email. I accept that the paragraph is technically accurate. However, to the lay person unfamiliar with the EU legislation it could give the impression that badgers are given the same protection under EU law as they are under UK law. Therefore, the UK government may appear to be at odds with Europe in wanting to cull badgers in order to control bTB.

In summary, although it is accurate to say that the badger as a species is protected under EU law, it is also accurate to say that the badger as a species is hunted in many continental countries. I feel it is biased to make reference to the protection given by EU law without also making reference to the hunting of badger allowed under EU law as well. Please ammend your articles to make this point clear. Thank you for your assistance with this matter.

Yours sincerely,

unlacedgecko

I think it would be good if more people could email the BBC with their concerns over their coverage of this email. Most of the UK lads will pay a licence fee which funds this rubbish. If we make enough fuss over it we will force them to change.

Good man! :thumbs:

I think they have failed to see your point though. But what should we really expect from them? They want to cause trouble and push their own agenda and wont let a fair argument stop them.

• Like 1

As the topic states as i just herd this on the news

jus wonderin how they will go about this cull,

whats everyones opinion ??

thanks artful

.17 hmr rifle the only way

Most people can't get fox on a 17hmr ticket let alone old brock, the powers that be always prefer overkill.

If I was to hazzard a gues I would say they will want a min of .243.

I think I read somewhere this was the proposed caliber, but cant remember where to verify this

As the topic states as i just herd this on the news

jus wonderin how they will go about this cull,

whats everyones opinion ??

thanks artful

I remember seeing footage on you tube a couple of years ago to do with the government cull. They leave them to die slowly in snares and traps.