Three days snaring with peg and gun

Morning everyone,

The Friday,Saturday and Sunday just gone I was fortunate to be under the tuition of Phil(Pegandgun) from this site. Those of you that know anything about snaring and trapping know that you would be hard pushed to find anyone with more experience than this man.

On the Friday I arrived at p@g place, excited but as you would expect a little nervous but was soon relaxed and having a cuppa, p@g was asking what knowledge etc I had of snaring etc and after checking my snares etc that I had in the boot it was time for the off.

The areas that I was taken too were simply breath taking. The amount of rabbits that I witnessed were second too none. P@g went through the steps of identifying runs,beats, which were best to set the peg snares on, placement of tealers and lots of tips etc that you will never read about but only shown by people that know.

We never went crazy with the amount of peg snares that were set, quality more than quantity. Never more than sixty were set but were identifying alot of beats that could be set if needed. I know feel a lot more confident as to which beat to set the snare, height etc.

We then moved on to do some fence snaring, too which I had been doing rather wrong!! P&g showed me a way of attaching wires to fences that takes about 2 secs and the same to remove which again is easy when you know how!!

My total rabbits for the two days of set snares was in the mid 30"s, those that do alot of snaring will not be too impressed with that number but I set these snares all my self(under Phils guidance) and the weather was terribly wet. I was over the moon as these were my first peg snared rabbits!!

If any one is interested in going to see Phil for some tuition etc he has given his permission for me to pass his number on via pm.

I had a brilliant couple of days with p@g and learnt more than I thought possible. I now feel very confident that I can know go out and snare rabbits competently. Phil is a top bloke, with an amazing enthusiasm to teach you. I will certainly be going back to see him as I now consider him a mate.

Sorry for going on!!

Happy snaring

Tony

Great stuff!...Thats the way to learn, finding someone that has done it for years with tricks handed down, apply the techniques and pass them on yourself when the time Is right, that way It will never die...Good on you and the guy who taught you.

i hear what phill dosnt know is not worth knowing in that field. :thumbs:

i could do with his number mate, as i gave him my whippet a while ago now and wouldn't mind having a craic with him about how he is getting on.p.m me it when you can cheers sean

Set my first rabbit snares today, my thinking prior was 'how hard can it be, stick a loop of wire in a runway'!

How wrong i was, found them really fiddly to get just right...that is if they are right!

Set my first rabbit snares today, my thinking prior was 'how hard can it be, stick a loop of wire in a runway'!

How wrong i was, found them really fiddly to get just right...that is if they are right!

You got them set then moll, let me know how you get on... :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Sean1 if your on about Snatch he is doing spot on.I have been out with this dog many a time and i was well impressed he hunts like a Spaniel. Although last season he was out of action a while as took an injury running into a car lamping and he actually had broke hisradial bone in his leg which Robert Meek spotted .Snatch also sired a litter or two.Ill see him later no doubt over his mams opposite me and ill get his new number as yet again he has changed it