'European' Polecats.

i know you didnt mate :D just going on whats been said before and what replys are expected.

as for proof,would be tough for most people to do

Exactly, but then they KNOW it's a E.U polecat, cos the bloke they bought it off for 40 quid told them it was . . . . .

And when they breed it, that's what they will call it.

So i was just looking for someone who has actually bred wild poleys, rather than just using a name they payed for.

• Like 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly, but then they KNOW it's a E.U polecat, cos the bloke they bought it off for 40 quid told them it was . . . . .   And when they breed it, that's what they will call it.   So i was just lo

Johnny Birks of The Vincent Wildlife Trust The polecat, the mammalogists' spiritual equivalent of the quintessentially Welsh Red Kite, is recovering well in Britain. That is one conclusion from a maj

Could not of put it better myself Ideation.   100's of years ferrets have been bred to do a job that suits us, usually taking them way beyond any natural instinct that a wild poley might have.   T

Posted Images

I've got no real issue with people owning and working them, my issue is when they come on here telling all and sundry how better they are at the job than a standard working ferret. Just because they cost a lot, people seem to have to justify their worth over and above that of a normal, working five pound ferret. You'd think some people had never seen a decent working ferret the way they go on about adding 'killer instinct' to their line of working animals...

Oh, that & the non working pet brigade...

well acorrdingly phil loyd has dna proven wild polecats my mate has got two jills out these and has been back to phils to have them lined but there is no benefit that I can see through owning one of these polecats over a decent working ferret my mate wont line them again as he has had to put the couple of litters that he has had down as they were un trainable and has never sold one of these just gifted them to responsible people he knows (who brought them back as they were unhandelable and had to be PTS). the 2 jills he owns are silly tame but the kits were f*****g nuts.

I've got no real issue with people owning and working them, my issue is when they come on here telling all and sundry how better they are at the job than a standard working ferret. Just because they cost a lot, people seem to have to justify their worth over and above that of a normal, working five pound ferret. You'd think some people had never seen a decent working ferret the way they go on about adding 'killer instinct' to their line of working animals...

Oh, that & the non working pet brigade...

...& the £30/£40 a pop pedlar brigade.. :laugh:

Something I've just read on good old Wikipedia;

"In some parts of the British Isles, the abandoning of domestic ferrets has led to ferret-polecat crossbreeds living in the wild. Ferrets were likely first brought to Britain after the Norman Conquest of England, or as late as the fourteenth century. It is currently impossible to distinguish pure polecats from hybrids through DNA analysis, as the two forms are too closely related and inter-mixed to be separated through modern genetic methods."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_polecat under 'Hybridisation'.

I would imagine it would also be impossible to distinguish pure domestic ferret from the hybrid as well! So there is no way of proving it other than the breeders say so.

Of course Wikipedia may be wrong and it wouldnt be the first time.

• Like 1

There may be people with genuine european polecats out there i dont know? but how can they prove it?

Think most them have dark ferrets and know they can sell them for £40 so call them european polecats.

Why you would want one is another question? What makes them better than a normal ferret? Each to they own i supose but id be carefull your not just paying £40 for a dark ferret.

About 8 years ago we had a jill that escaped when in season, we found her a few day later in the stables and she had cuts to the back of her neck, 6 weeks later she gave birth to six kitts, she had not been put to a hob and there are wild polecats in the area so we asumed she had been mated by a wild polecat, all the kitts were on the large side and looked like polecats, they turned out to be un-handable, you couldnt get near them they just attacked your hand or anything you put in front of them, they would hiss at you and we were unable to tame them as much as we tried, a bloke took the whole litter off us (free of charge may i add) he managed to semi-tame one jill but couldnt 100% trust it would attack his hand when cleaning out and couldnt put your hand in carrybox to grab her, she killed and stayed in a burry almost everytime she was put in.

This was a half cross wild polecat, what benifits would you get from a pure european polecat?

heres a pic of the missus little girl doesnt look that nasty shes a softy really until you put your hand in then post-18045-0-27416800-1310927984_thumb.jpg

i want 1 like that there

Why, cos it's pretty?

naw been looking for 1 for a while now but keep geting other kinds just because a cant get 1 when im looking for 1

pm sam3009 hes got a true pair for sale :thumbs:

Apart from the price difference, I am interested in work wise, what's the difference on Rabbits, between a Euro Polecat and a Albino or Polecat Ferret off good working strain, in otherwords, would they put more rabbits in the bag? :unsure:

no they wont put more rabbits in the bag :no: but thell put more holes in your hands :yes: