Feeding whole rabbit

16 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

If it works for you then brilliant ? I alway said each to there own mate But what I will say feeding them rabbit doesn't make them stay with a rabbit it's pray drive mate ? 

Ye no what you mean but for some reason they wont touch prey thats what I'm trying to do there on 80/10/10 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just a couple of questions on that theory....I feed mine the same way, give them meat last thing at night and then the next morning take it out. My ferrets are very energetic, in great shape, great c

I feed what I've got ,if I got rabbits that's what they get if not its beef mince ,docks ,ox heart ,liver ,chicken carcus ,kibble and only feed once a day.  

The rabbits I feed out to the ferrets, I strike the head with a hammer, gutted & skin left on as this is important for roughage. All that's left of the head is the bottom jaw bone & teeth. Fer

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Shogun62 said:

I have 2 hobs 24 months old iv been feeding them on minced pork beef other mince products. I also shoot got few rabbits skinned gut them quartered them and gave few bits but wont touch them same with pigeon any help would be appreciated 

Sorry get you now looks like there too well fed lol like myself lol thin them down a good bit cut food down hunger them they'll soon eat rabbit for you fed them once a day do no harm what so ever mate ? 

• Like 1
Just now, Ferretman65 said:

Sorry get you now looks like there too well fed lol like myself lol thin them down a good bit cut food down hunger them they'll soon eat rabbit for you fed them once a day do no harm what so ever mate ? 

Ps keep fur on the rabbit ? 

On 15/07/2011 at 02:53, rossi_j said:

i feed mine rabbit fresh from the field, gutted and skinned, only realy skinned as i keep the pelts to train the pup. the ferts love it, i seperate it into front legs, back legs, front and rear torso and chuck the head away, four easy meals :thumbs: the only thing left in the cage after is a spine or a knee or two :thumbs:

they do have a bit of dry food sometimes aswel.

from what i'v read on here people only worm if there is evidence to suggest worms are present.

.atb. .ste.

The rabbits I feed out to the ferrets, I strike the head with a hammer, gutted & skin left on as this is important for roughage. All that's left of the head is the bottom jaw bone & teeth. Ferrets love the brain matter & tongue. I also feed pigeons roughly plucked. A Balanced natural diet I think is best, however it does require some management over the hot summer months.

I also forgot to add fish, fed out once a week, either a trout or a fresh eel fillets. I rarely feed eggs ,when I do, so I only use the yolk or is it the white ? Furthermore, I bloody cant remember now ,losing the plot these days ......

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 14/07/2011 at 15:40, socks said:

feeding with meat once at night is all good as far as cleanlyness and husbandry is concerned but ferrets have a very short digestive tract meaning they need

to eat 6 or 7 times through the day so if you dont like flies then they need a dry meal of some sort to keep them going through the day .............

Kibble fed ferrets do eat several times a day as they can only utilize 50% at most of the kibble.  Ferrets fed a raw/whole prey can be fed once or twice a day as they utilize at least 90% of their food.  Plus. kibble has the moisture content of cardboard (10%) so tend to be moderately dehydrated since they can't drink enough water to make up for the lack of water in kibble.

• Like 1