Getting dogs fit

here's one for you, If your doing however many miles your doing on a bike at a constant rate won't that build a certain type of muscle i.e short fast distances will build fast twitch muscle fibres and long slower paced running will build slow twitch fibres. It's like a marathon runners training wouldn't be any good for a sprinter and vice versa but for a running dog i would compare them to footballers in the sense that they do fast sprints then slow jogging through out a match having an equal amount of the different types of muscle fibres. They do a type of training called fartlek, basically running slowly then sprinting then running slowly then sprinting to get their fitness to suite their needs. Basically this is what a dog does over the course of a nights lamping or a days coursing stop start type running. So if your tried to vary the pace of road work it should develop this type of fitness and stop it becoming one paced i.e no gears or too many gears and not enough stay. Just a theory.......

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just asked me dad and he said, if you worked your dogs like there ment to be and used them for what there bred for you wouldnt need all this exercising behind cars and on bikes down country lanes

dogs aint daft, i cannae speak for others, but i can speak for mine, an the dogs my mates own, that i see often.....       an if a dog cannae tell the diffrence between mooching during day, an lam

hello pal i run my dogs behind the van on an old road where no cars go just going slow enough for the dogs to jog behind it for between 6-7 miles about 2 or 3 times a week thats if its not to hot. i s

Posted Images

As far as mooching goes i dont do alot of it as i dont particularly like it as i have 2 bullxs that are 26.5 and 28 and dont wish them to hunt up when im lamping. the problem down here is that there is never far from the next hedge so the rabbits dont really come out to far and are quickly in, i do however occasionally go with my mate and his jack russel.

yours in sport

Dances

Well I have tryed both ways with a dog and to be honest the dog that had a ratch about was always better, IMHO they end up a much more intelligent and well adjusted animal.

It makes no difference to them lamping if they are out on the beam often enough.

I am very impressed with the amount of time and effort everyone puts in, you all seem to be doing 5 or 6 miles which takes time on a bike and all evening on foot (especially if your out on fields)......I wish I had as much time but alas, I dont.

My poor f****r will have to content himself with and hour or so on the lamp or a couple of miles mooch......they soon get up to speed come the season.

• Like 1

For me quality not quanity,Up at half four five,A hour or so jog around the lanes,Loads of scent,about so dogs on there toes jumping in and out of fields,hunting about,some sprinting .As far as im concerened,better than doing miles of boring walking or cycling for me and dogs.

Mine are allowed to put on weight and relax for a couple of months.

For me quality not quanity,Up at half four five,A hour or so jog around the lanes,Loads of scent,about so dogs on there toes jumping in and out of fields,hunting about,some sprinting .As far as im concerened,better than doing miles of boring walking or cycling for me and dogs.

Mine are allowed to put on weight and relax for a couple of months.

There wont be many doing more than a couple of miles "off road" on foot would be my guess, unless of course you work in the country and can have your dog with you all day.

i said the same at the start of this post,,,this a mount of road work will not suit all lurchers,,, more likley will suit the suluki type dog or any ather with out the cuting mucsel shape,,,not shaw which one or mite of bin both,,,fredy holmes or nuthall add video of there dogs on tred mill,,, pritty much the same as being behind a bike,,,car,,,

Edited by robert michem

yep thats what i said erlier in the thread,,,,, although i think coursing dogs might not benefit from the same sort of training

yeah i can see the benefit to big amounts of road work if you want a saluki type to run a fen hare for 6-7 minutes..... most people however won't whistling.gif

Thats why TOMOs dog can go and bag up on the dales as well ;)

• Like 1

I do the TOMO routine ;) Fast..... Then slow.....long fast..... Some slow, bit of up hill, but no stand still. Start 2 miles behind the car, build up to 4 miles with the odd nights rest or Mabel a quick 2 miler..... See how the dogs fare.

It's not lamp, or coursing or ferreting fitness- just a step change from mouching to get the muscles heart and lungs going.

I will have them hold between 20-30 mph for about half mile periods.... Never really drop below 10 mph.

Whilst in this routine( only ever at night with no cars/ cool air) I have the lamp out over the moors for the odd lucky run to keep the dogs alert.

Also continue the evening mouch about.

The type of work the dog does provides the true end result in my opion. You won't create a lamping dog or coursing hound just from miles behind th car or bike or mouching about.....they need regular running of the type you intend to catch your game by.